Orvis fly fishing shcool

FFChineseman

FFChineseman

I have been doing ff for about three years and catch my fair share of fish alone the way. However, I also developed some bad habits and really want to improve my skill on mending the line (presentation).

Have any of you attend the Orvis fly fishing school? Do you think it is worth the money? I am thinking to go one in VT. It has great reviews, but I just want to ask around before i put my money in it.
:-o :-o

If you have the money, I think it would be worth it. You may be able to line up lessons from a local instructor for less money and learn on your local waters. I have always thought the "retreat" type of school could be a lot of fun, but I would never justify the expense to myself. I'd rather buy some expensive bourbon for a year than drink the cheap stuff I do now. :cool:

Have never taken a class but think it would be worthwhile if the dough is not a concern. There are numerous schools/classes in PA.

For example; Joe Humphries (I beleive a few other teachers are there as well) is involved in a school at Allenberry on the Breeches in the spring. Flyfisher's Paradise in State College offers clssses in the spring. FFP also can line you up with several expert teachers. Actually most fly shops offer casting/ FF schools or seminars.

Eric Stroup or Charlie Meck also might be worth doing a web search for one of their schools.

You could probably go so far as find a expert for the streams in your area and the type of fishing you would like to improve on.

Lastly, you could probably also take a destination "class/school" trip, which again, if the dough is not a concern would be a blast.

i hear good things about the classes they have at the sporting gentleman in media. the woman who runs it was beyond nice and helpful and the staff are great and really know what theyre talking about.

FFC,

Check out Valley Forge TU. They usually do a one day fly fishing school in the spring. I took the class a few years ago, and like you I already had some experience but wanted some pointers on things I didn't feel I was doing right. I believe one of the posters on here, lestrout, was one of the instructors so if he reads this he may be able to give you more info.

PS-dont know if you remember me but I took you out on valley a while ago. I believe you showed up with an 8wt if I remember correctly, judging from some of your recent posts it looks like you've come a long way. Good job.

PS-dont know if you remember me but I took you out on valley a while ago. I believe you showed up with an 8wt if I remember correctly, judging from some of your recent posts it looks like you've come a long way. Good job.

Jason-

of course I remember you. The very next day, i went to get a much lighter gears..lol, but i still didn't have much success in valley creek. it is almost two years ago, isn't it? :-o I fished the valley creek about a dozen time this year, but only landed three.

how have you been, wanna hit the water again?

On a similar note, the Mainline Fly Tyers' have a one day field classroom on flyfishing, as well. They'll hold it sometime in the spring at Resica Falls in the Poconose.

You may be able to line up lessons from a local instructor for less money and learn on your local waters.

You know I was gonna agree with this wholeheartedly until I checked out the pricing. Orvis schools are amazingly cheap imo. So money saving issues aside, I still think you are better off engaging a couple of local guides and FFF certified casting instructors. I would highly recommend spending a day or two on the water with Dave Rothrock www.salmo-trutta.com and/or Mike Heck www.fallingsprings.com Why spend a couple hundred dollars a day for a classroom environment where you are going to have to go over things you may already know, may not care about or may not apply to your local watersheds? Also you will be splitting the instructors time between 8 other people in the class versus a one on one for the entire day. Use a local guide familiar with the local waters you will be fishing. Mike Heck helped me tremendously with line management issues earlier this year.

FWIW, I've had the pleasure of some one on one casting instruction from Dave, who'd given me pointers to really assist in getting things moved ahead. He's also a stand up guy, tremendously knowledgable, and affable as all hell.

Mike I've met a few times now, and can only praise his attitude (and memory of seemingly trite details). I haven't fished with him, but certainly wouldn't turn down the chance if offered.

Both these guys are class acts, wish I'd have thought of them.. Also, both members of this forum.

Why spend a couple hundred dollars a day for a classroom environment where you are going to have to go over things you may already know, may not care about or may not apply to your local watersheds?

right on! i will check out those two guys. thanks a lot!!

Probably enough good fishermen on the board that ,for lunch and a few cold ones, you could learn a lot .

To pick up tactics and technique, sure, but part of the guide's job is to not only show someone where the fish are, but to show them the best way to apply their skills to catch 'em.

Good fishermen aren't neccessarily good teachers (and I'm sure that's also the case for some of the good guides out there, too).

I'm not sure about Mike, but I think Dave is FFF certified instructor? I know he taught at the Bean casting school for awhile, and I'm pretty sure it was established he'd have the chops to do it.

I also know he can huck 90' of line from a 4wt on a field, which is pretty awesome to watch, to say nothing of 120' from his 5wt or the 120' sink tip from a 10.

Just as a side note, I personally fear getting casting instructions at this point in my development. Not to say I couldn't use them, but it would cost me double to first unlearn and then relearn. No, make that three times as much, since I'm over 45.

Tom Brtalik - full time guide & FFF certified

www.tomsflyfishing.com

I have nothing against Orvis , in fact , anything i've ever purchased from them has been top notch quality and i never had any regrets and i'm sure their shchool would be about the best SCHOOL you could possibly find. The thing is , i agree with GulfGreyhound on this issue ,there are probably enough folks on this web site who do this work for a living that you could get more help for less economical expenditure than an ORVIS SCHOOL , this web site has guides , fly tying teachers , approved casting instructors , and , last but not least , lawyers (for those greusom facial hooking incidents) , ask Bruno. If i was anyone who was considering an Orvis School i'd first do a list of what i want to learn and then get on here and finally compare cost , i'll bet our folks are better , less expensive and , most importantly more friendy and more fun.

I'm probably sticking my neck out here since my name was mentioned as one to consider; however, I can provide some insight about fly fishing schools such as Orvis or the Bean schools.

A fly fishing school teach their curriculum and the instructors don't really have the time to deviate from that. In contrast, instruction from a guide/coach/instructor can be tailored to the individual's needs/desires.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you're in a group instruction setting you don't receive the individual attention that can accelerate your learning curve. I know because I've "been there, done that, have a T-shirt."

No matter whom the student chooses to provide instruction he/she will want to communicate with that instructor to ensure he/she recieves the instruction needed/desired. One point I must emphasize: The instructor should know fairly quickly if the student is ready for the level of instruction sought. If not, the instructor should explain why that's the case. It is very important that the instructor not get the student in "over their head."

Dave Rothrock

Back