Orvis Encounter Waders

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

Does anyone have any experience with the budget Orvis Encounter waders? I found a new (old stock?) pair for under $100, but I've heard some grumblings to generally avoid the Encounter line.

I understand that you get what you pay for, but I don't have $300+ to spend on waders right before the holidays and I've failed 3 times to fix a leak in my current stocking foot. Any first hand experiences with the Encounters is greatly appreciated.

I have these waders and they are doing fine by me. I too didn't have $300+ to spend but ended up very happy with these.

For that price, probably worth trying - even if they only last one season.
And Orvis does stand behind their gear

Purchased. I actually tried on the Encounters versus some higher priced Orvis options (was at an Orvis store) and, out of the box, liked the features and design of the cheapos best. Hopefully they hold up. I will update if there are any notable failures in the very near future.

Thanks to you dudes for input.

I had a pair 2 yrs. ago. They started to leak after a few months, not just at one spot but all over, to the point that it was hopeless to even try and seal them. Bought them at a TCO and they wouldn't do anything to help, said because they were budget waders not worth it to return to Orvis. Worst pair of waders I ever had.

Troutmeister wrote:
I had a pair 2 yrs. ago. They started to leak after a few months, not just at one spot but all over, to the point that it was hopeless to even try and seal them. Bought them at a TCO and they wouldn't do anything to help, said because they were budget waders not worth it to return to Orvis. Worst pair of waders I ever had.

Did you try calling Orvis customer service?
They've always been more than fair with me in issues like that.

Ha! Fantastic!

But for $89 from an Orvis outlet, I'll take what I get. The Ultralights felt even cheaper than the Encounters, and the next option up was like a mortgage payment. I'd just wet wade through the winter if it came to that.

I bought a pair of the Encounter waders a few years ago. They were fine, but felt a bit heavy/warm for the spring/summer trout fishing I do.
So, I sprung for the Ultralights, which are what they advertise, ultralight. Yet still durable. Still need to be careful bushwhacking though.
I noticed a big difference from the start, with my mobility feeling less restrained. Real important when going up, over, and around all kinds of obstacles all day. You tend to be more careful after you spend $300 on waders. :)

It occurred to me to update this, as I am just now giving into cold temps and being forced back into waders for the fall months. These Encounters are still going strong. Highly recommend at the right price.

Unfortunately, giving up wet wading is reminding me that the flurries are coming ever so soon... Can't buy my way out of that.

Back