Orvis encounter packages.

S

somersetian

Ive been looking into getting a new 5 wt rod. Ive mainly used a 7 wt that I used to only bass fish with, but I started to use it on small streams and liked it over my cheap old 5 wt. Now that Im more experienced, and Ive used some friends lighter gear Im looking to buying a 4/5 wt rod. Orvis has these encounter packages with rod rod, reel, line basically ready to fish. Anyone bought one of these packages? If so what do you think?

It seems like no one has any experience with the Encounter setup. Probably because it's new. Orvis makes/sells quality stuff so I don't see how you could go wrong with an outfit that cost $159.

No experience with the Encounter. If budget is an issue, check out LL Bean's Quest series.

My cousin just got an Encounter package for Christmas. Seems like a good combo package but he has only used it in his yard practicing.

I have an encounter II reel and it is solid. It's slightly heavier than premium reels, but the drag is comparable to some really high-end reels. Bottom line is I have no problem recommending the encounter reel. It is unbeatable for $50. Plus spare spools are only $25. This being said, I don't have any exposure to the encounter rods.. RCFetter got it right... Orvis makes/sells quality gear (though not always made in US) and their customer service is second to none.

If Afishinado doesn't publically weigh in, try sending him a PM about it. He should have some insight.

For the rod, I'd go ahead and spring for the Clearwater rod. It's not much more and you get an awesome warranty (25 years).

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2730

The warranty alone is enough to convince me.

echuck66 wrote:
For the rod, I'd go ahead and spring for the Clearwater rod. It's not much more and you get an awesome warranty (25 years).

In the grand scheme of things not it isn't much more but the Encounter outfit is $159 where the Clearwater rod alone is $200. Throw in a line and reel and your are over $300 with the Clearwater before you even have a leader or fly tied on.

That $150 dollar difference could go a long way towards waders, flies, etc. for a beginning angler or anyone on a tight budget.

Kev

That $150 dollar difference could go a long way towards waders, flies, etc. for a beginning angler or anyone on a tight budget.

You're right, but I'm just speaking from my personal string of bad luck I've had in the past with rods... car windows, doors, clumsy footing, etc.

All I'm saying is that if you have the money and you're prone to breaking rods like I have been, the 25 year warranty is a pretty nice thing to have. Of course, now that I have a rod with a nice warranty like that, I'll probably never break another rod. LOL

Back