Orvis Deschutes

F

Fly5

I recently checked out a Orvis' Deschutes' This is a model I am not familiar with, it is a 9 foot 7wt. On the butt cap it says orvis 9 Foot Deschutes 4oz. 7wt. 0888. Any input on this rod would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think Orvis makes a "Deschutes" rod. Maybe you are looking at a custom rod.

Downingtown should know. I am not familiar with that rod either. interesting...

I finally got a chance to call Orvis, they told me the Deschutes was part of their western series line. The number on the butt cap determined that it was made in August of 1988.They had a very good opinion of the rod overall. Thanks.

A soft spot in my heart!
I have a 9' 7wt deschutes that I got in high school... around '86. I've used it for bass, stripers, muskie, pike, bluefish, albies, etc. That's the rod I hooked my 15' shark on...
It remains my favorite steelhead rod for erie. I've had it repaired by orvis on 3 occassions (even outside of the 25 year war... always great and fast service).
It should come with a detachable fighting butt. A little slower than most of todays rods (which is why it is great for steelhead) but I was able to throw a whole line in my haydays at the shore (with a good tailwind...)
If you don't buy it, give me the info... since it is a long time out of production, I would love to have a backup!

Hey David, it actually came in the mail today. It had the fighting butt in a little pouch attached to the rod sack. I don't think it was ever used, I doubt the rod was ever fished but a few times. It is nice to hear that you have good feelings about this rod. If I decide to pass it on, I will certainly let you know. Thanks for responding to my question.

Back