Orvis cutting workforce, discontinuing catalog among other changes.

Looks like they sold of their wing shooting estate in Fairfield as well:
I live very close by. Just saw the listing last night. If they get the 5 million they are asking, they paid 2 million six years ago, that would be a nice turnover. Perhaps they will recoup some losses since nothing much ever seemed to happen at this location. The shop was rather sparse. It had some hunting gear and a little corner of fly fishing, mostly a few lines and leaders and that was it.

I heard from a friend that had a conversation with a contact that is part of the Orvis operation. Evidently Orvis is too heavily invested in real estate and is trying to reduce their holdings. He did not say this, but I am thinking the upward pressure on interest rates may have significantly impacted their portfolio.

As noted above, their PA location is for sale. Their hope is to sell it to someone, but keep it as an Orvis managed or endorsed property.

Orvis operations go WAY beyond a reliance on fly fishing. I wouldn’t be surprised if FF is the equivalent of rounding error in the overall scheme of things for them.
Thanks for posting this.

Being a private company, finding financial information about Orvis is difficult. I believe that fly fishing has been a small percentage of their sales since at least the early 1990s.

I have a real soft spot for Orvis...

The first time I ever laid eyes on a bamboo rod was at an Orvis dealer in Boston many moons ago which was before I started fly fishing. However, I did buy my first Orvis zinger that day that looked like the one pictured below:

Orvis Zinger.jpg

When I finally started fly fishing (WAY before the Internet), Orvis was IT in my neck of the woods in regards to fly tackle and other related gear. There were no company stores at that time, but there were three local Orvis dealers (Eyler's, Cox's & The Sporting Gentleman) that got 100% of my business.

For that reason it was no coincidence my first fly reels were CFO's and my 2nd fly rod was a graphite Orvis Limestone Special that I got for 20% off by trading in an old spinning rod. My first fly tying vise was branded Orvis as were some of my tools and I anxiously awaited the four or so catalogs I got every year.

I later experienced my first Orvis company store in Manhattan that opened in the 1980's on 5th Avenue around 50th Street. That store was an eyeopener in regards to things to come after shopping at dealers who only sold tackle.

The first NYC Orvis had a first floor and a mezzanine with the entire first floor being clothing & dog beds. All tackle was all on the mezzanine with a ceiling so low you couldn't lift a rod to "waggle" test it except by holding it over the mezzanine railing and the first floor.

As time went on, I moved on to other brands and buying options but I still have the Limestone Special, the CFO's, the zingers and other Orvis stuff along with some Orvis bamboo purchased more recently on the used market. Over the years if anything needed service or refurbishment, I always got five star customer service from Orvis.

I realize change is inevitable, but I hope that level of customer service doesn't go away and for potential future bamboo repairs or refurbishment, I hope the bamboo business survives any future downsizing.

For sentimental reasons even though I don't envision myself buying any Orvis stuff going forward, I hope the company survives in a form that resembles what I fondly remember.

I have an Orvis H3 rod that I purchased for a discount after the H4 version was released. I don’t notice the white label (or at least more so than any other rod label) and the rod itself casts like a dream. My only complaint is that I don’t get to fish it as often as I’d like.

I also have some Orvis clothing that fits well, is super comfortable, and performs as intended.

I will continue to support Orvis.

Back