Orvis "Big Eye" Hooks

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

How many of you fellas have used or tried these hooks? I just tied a number of size 24 Trico spinners on them and judging from the larger eyes on this series of hooks they should be ALOT easier to tie on tippet material. I think I'm really going to like them. Any comments? Thanks. WTT

I've been tying on them since they came out. I know most of my clients complain about not seeing the "eye". Those that try and see them notice a big difference.

Hey my old eye's are 40 now and I'm glad to have them.

Mike Heck

Mike, mine are 52 and I'm REALLY glad to have them especially with the small hook sizes. It will be nice to fish a Trico without having to worry about getting the tippet thru the eye of the hook. IYO are they a good quality hook?

I've been tying on the big eye hooks for several years (they're actually Daiichi and labeled by Orvis) and they have always performed well for me. And, yes, they are easier for "old" eyes to thread tippet through; however, not easier to the point that I don't need magnification to "git r done."

Dave R.

Dave, I did'nt know you were using those" Big Eye" hooks. They seem to be well made. I may try some in other sizes. Thanks go out to you and Mike for the info.

They're great hooks. The wire is a bit heavier too.

As mm noted, they are a bit heavier than other hooks.
I used them for fishing trico hatches on the bighorn and missouri rivers.
And anyone who has fished there knows that the big powerfull fish that you catch there, have been know to straighten out small, lighter wire hooks.
Never had that happen with these hooks.
I like them

I'm going to find out how they work tomorrow morning. I was using the old Mustad R30 for my Tricos. These hooks are a good bit heavier.

i tied on them alot when i worked there (orvis) i found a huge lot of old mustads last year from the 40's and 50's and they are big eye hooks..srom sz. 10 to 22. bought the guy out..

Dave at the Lil Lehi shop has Daiichi 1130s, which are big eyes too. I think they may be lighter wire than the Orvis Big Eyes, which are my go-to midge size hooks, even out here in the East.

tl
les

I think Tiemco makes a big eye hook also - I like them.

I must report that the "Big Eye" hooks worked really well. The Trico spinner fall was not that good this morning but I caught enough trout to determine that I like the hooks and will continue to use them. Thanks to all you fellas for your input on the subject.

I started using them after reading "Spring Creek Strategies" by Heck and will never use a regular eyed hook that is smaller than 18.

I bought a couple boxes in a clearance sale 20 n 22's i like em help the ol eyes find the hole.

osprey wrote:
I bought a couple boxes in a clearance sale 20 n 22's i like em help the ol eyes find the hole.
I have caught enough trout lately on "Big Eye" size 24's to know that I will use them for small dry flies from now on. I may try the 20's and 22's next. They are good quality hooks IMO.

Back