Orvis advertisements?

R

rrt

Hypocrite that I am, I renewed 'scrips to FFM and AA when I got FFM for $20 for 3 years and AA for $14.95 for 2 years, despite both mags continuing to use beck photos. Anyhow, I have noticed that Orvis has NO ads in either mag, nor does Orvis have any in FTJ. The only magazine I have seen an Orvis ad in is The Drake -- and that ad was for its "new" super strong tippet. Plus, I have not received an Orvis fly-fishing catalogue in several years.

Does this mean something? Is Orvis going down the tubes, or is it a change in marketing strategy? It seems odd not to see Orvis ads in the fly-fishing magazines. Just curious.

My subscription ended a few months ago, but Northeast Fly Fishing frequently had the $25 off $50 Orvis ad in it, so maybe they are just being more selective?

Orvis do seem to have a pretty good social media strategy, so maybe they decided it's cheaper and can reach more people than paper publications...

The Orvis store in The Woodlands, TX, (about 10 miles from me), does not carry ANY fly fishing gear. Just clothes...

Rich- buy something at their store and you will get mailed solicitations weekly. At least I do.

The closest fly shop to me is Mt Lebanon Galleria store- stop maybe 2-3 times a year when I realize I need tippet or shot. Who cares if they sell clothes and other stuff- it keeps a fly shop in business 2 miles from house. (I do have their non-wrinkle sports jacket tho).

I get at least one Orvis catalog a week. In between the FF catalogs they also send plenty of clothing catalogs. They could scale it back.

I have an Orvis hat that has a brown trout on it and I have had several people ask me why it has a fish on it. I guess Orvis also brands themselves as "outdoorwear" like you need a special shirt to go on a hiking trip or something. It's all BS but my 5 wt is from Orvis and so are my waders and they are both of quality products. I just cant stand the this is what an "outdoorsy" person dresses like marketing scheme. I dress like a 90's skateboarder, because I am a 90's skateboarder who also likes to fly fish and be outdoors. I get a lot of strange looks because I fish in cut off shorts with and a 15 dollar army navy ammunition bag to carry tackle. Sorry if this was off the point of the original question, just one man's opinion.

McSneek wrote:
I get at least one Orvis catalog a week. In between the FF catalogs they also send plenty of clothing catalogs. They could scale it back.

Yep. I get atleast 1 catalog a week from them.

Orvis store in Galleria Pittsburgh is clean and pretty but if you need some stuff to fish you may quickly head for International Angler.
Stevo27, your blog bluelinesandbrookies is really nice.

Attachments

• Old House on the Linn Run.jpg
    Old House on the Linn Run.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2
Possibly, Orvis has decided not to compete against their local distributors. Local shop was considering dropping Orvis rods, reels, clothing... when a Orvis opened a competing store.

From observation and convos I've had, I agree that social media and new ideas (their digital catalog) are where they want to settle in for advertising.

As for company store inventory? I'm a fan of a little fly gear vs. no fly gear.

The value of print ads has diminished greatly in recent years because of very low and rapidly declining readership, especially amongst younger readers. The Drake magazine skews younger and/or has a higher readership than some the other mags mentioned and thus gets what little ad dollars are spent on print ads.

Orvis uses direct to consumer advertising via e-mail as well as electronic ads linked to search engines such as google. Search google for anything fly-fishing and you are likely to see Orvis products pop up.

Progress..modern world...digital age...

Attachments

• new vs old.jpg
    new vs old.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2
I get an email everyday. I haven't received a print catalog in over a year, i do like print on paper better.

I like to order from the manufactures web sites, Orvis, Rio, Simms, ect.
My reasons for ordering via the internet:
1. Product is in stock
2. free shipping
3. Price

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Possibly, Orvis has decided not to compete against their local distributors. Local shop was considering dropping Orvis rods, reels, clothing... when a Orvis opened a competing store.

When I lived in Bethlehem, years ago, Nestors sold Orvis FFing gear. Then an Orvis lodge on the Delaware opened Old Lehigh Outfitters in the building where the brew works is. It focused on clothes, but was generally too small for very much. Anyway, Nestors lost their Orvis stuff. Fly Fisher's Paradise sold Orvis, and then TCO opened right down the street. i don't know if they still have Orvis or not.

Kinda rotten.

Syl

UncleShorty wrote:
The Orvis store in The Woodlands, TX, (about 10 miles from me), does not carry ANY fly fishing gear. Just clothes...

I once sold an antique Shakespeare WonderRod (fly rod) on Ebay to a guy in Texas. He was very pleased with it and even sent me a picture of his girlfriend in a beautiful sun dress reeling in a catfish with it.

Was that you? ;-)

Nice picture, Skybay.

I get the quarterly newsletter that is basically, this is whats new, this is whats on sale and here's how to drop $6k on a week chasing fish somewhere exotic.....

I do like their reels, but otherwise they are pretty much dead to me. imho Rio, Hardy, Greys, Redington are better quality and better VFM.

Back