Orvis Access or Clearwater 6wt

M

mario66pens

I'm looking for a recommendation if its worth the price to buy the access over the clearwater. Also, is a 6 wt sufficient for smaller dry flies? (I'm not talking size 28 midges or anything like that)

What type of fishing will the rod be used for and what types of water? A 6 weight is heavier than people typically use for small dries, unless you're going to be fishing bigger rivers with bruiser trout. A 4 or 5 weight would be more common for smaller dries and the size streams we have here in PA. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

As for the Access vs Clearwater questions I can't be much help there. I hear really good things about the cheaper Clearwater though.

A 6wt is too heavy for dries I think, unless you're really throwing some line. Go with a 5wt. It'll be pretty versatile.

As far as the rods go, there are a few differences between the Access and the Clearwater. I think the Access uses higher quality materials (reel seat and hardware), and I believe the Access is made in the USA while the Clearwater is not (if that sort of thing matters to you).

I want to be able to use it for steelhead on the pa erie tribs as well that's why I'm going with the 6 weight as well as heavy nymph rigs, just curious about the smaller dries.

mario66pens wrote:
I'm looking for a recommendation if its worth the price to buy the access over the clearwater. Also, is a 6 wt sufficient for smaller dry flies? (I'm not talking size 28 midges or anything like that)

The Access is far superior.

Yes you can use a 6wt with small flies but it is not as optimal as using a lighter line weight. You'll find the line over powering the leader and fly at times, making it difficult to get good presentations. Adjustments to your leader can overcome some of this. I would personally prefer a 4 or 5wt for this type of fishing, but I've done it a 6wt.

Kev

For a few more dollars you can buy 2 Clearwater II and enjoy both. Say a 3wt and a 6wt.

I would go for the access. it's a great rod for anyone and is far superior to the clearwater IMHO. you'll find a 5wt to be more fun for most of the year but you can use it for steel too. the access 5wt has a lot of backbone and I would not be afraid to send you to erie with it. 9' or 8 1/2' 5wt will be just fine for you. If you get the access remember that if you are unhappy with the rod for any reason Orvis will take it back no questions asked. Also if it breaks you have a 25 year unconditional warranty to protect you.

Even in flyfishing we sometimes have the syndrome of "Keeping up with the Jones". We want the best gear money can buy and alot of it is because of what we hear. People should explain more as to why they feel the Access is superior to the Clearwater II. If you believe that it is the rod that does all the fish catching then your wrong. It is a combination of both rod and the person. Knowing your equipment and how it handles/performs and what it is capable of, and knowing how to fish, will make all the difference in the world in landing that trophy of a fish. You can take the most expensive rod in the world and put it in someones hands, and unless they know how to use it, it is worthless.

I just found that the hardware on the Access is a step up. Apart from that, I didn't find the actual rod blank to be superior, and I actually preferred the action of the Clearwater, but that's personal taste. Tim knows more because he works w/ the rods more than I do. I used a Clearwater for a small stream outing last year (fishing w/ Sal, he had two of them and let me try one because I was in the market for a 9'5wt) and I enjoyed it very much. I only casted an Access, but not in a "real life" situation (IE-on a stream).

I actually like the idea that someone posted above-for the money of an Access, you can get two Clearwaters in the 3wt and 6wt. I would tend to go this route, get two rods that work great for specific applications, than get one rod that works "okay" for the type of fishing you want to do.

I suggest the Access out of shear personal preference. I like the idea the rod is made in the USA. I like the hardware on the Access better. Most of all, I like the way the Mid-flex 9' casts.

As Pennypack rightfully points out, you don't need to have top of the line gear to enjoy this sport. I did not mean to give the sense that you MUST have the higher quality gear. Also, you're absolutely right about how much the individual factors into the equation. I can hand you a top end rod but if you don't understand how that rod loads and how to properly cast, you are going to have a difficult time.

Now I will say this in closing:

1 - Absolutely go out and cast any rod you may be interested in purchasing. Even see if there is a demo rod you can try. It is by far the most important part of making a good decision when buying a new rod.

2 - In the question of what one rod I would suggest for trout/steelhead use I suggested the one rod I thought would be good for both. Honestly I think you would even be fine with a 9' 6wt Access even for dries. Just my opinion.

What does a step up mean?

I'm just throwing this out, I work in a shop and have had a couple Clearwater 2's brought back broke. They looked like material failure but could have been operator error. That's what the warranty is for tho. I'd stick with the access and orvis usually does the rod and reel combo deal sometime soon but I haven't heard anything for this year.

I unfornately have had two flyrods meet window closures in my car. Orvis replaced both of them without batting an eye. They truly stand behind their product.

I wonder if the returned products customer's had put the rod next to or over the fireplace? Heat of that kind will destroy the properties of a flyrod and break down their quality. Also I would think near gas or any kind of solvent may lesson the qualities as well. Just my 25 cents. (I'm inflated)

Not sure. I know one was in the butt section which could have been caused by grabbing it above the cork for leverage but created a focus point for the break

Get a 9' 5 wt and when you can afford a 7 wt get it. You can fish almost anything in pa with those 2 rods and won't need to compromise.

Back