Oros indicators

hunter1

hunter1

I saw them on youtube, Has anyone used them for nymphing yet. I'm looking to get some small ones. Thanks.

I used them for the first time in September. It was what our guide on the Bow used for nymph rigs. I liked them enough to buy some smaller ones for here in PA. I nymph as little as possible and haven't used the smaller version yet but I really like the design.

I have some of them and like them more than similar strike indicators. I like that they ride “in line” and are easier to cast than other indicators I’ve used. I mostly use the small size in white and pink.

I also bought some of the Loon strike putty after a recent guide trip. I am going to use that when fishing smaller dry flies (like griffiths gnats, BWOs, and North Country spiders) that I can’t see.

I've been using them the past couple years, and I haven't touched a Dorsey or thingamabobber since. I've heard people complain about drag, but I've never noticed a difference from other bobbers (but maybe I just suck at nymphing). As mentioned above, being in line casts nice, but almost a bigger deal for me is that they don't destroy your leader by leaving pigtail curls.

Thanks all. I'm ordering some today.

I also bought some of the Loon strike putty after a recent guide trip. I am going to use that when fishing smaller dry flies (like griffiths gnats, BWOs, and North Country spiders) that I can’t see.
I suspect I was an early adopter of strike putty. I don't know when it debuted but I remember using the stuff quite a bit 1999-ish. I haven't used any in a long time. As I recall, there were days, especially on the Yellow Breeches, where the putty got as many takes as the nymph below it.

I paint my white indie yellow as it stands out in the foam lines

A buddy gave me one to use a few weeks ago. Thought it was considerably heavier than the foam air lock indicator I was using. I'll give them another shot but not sure yet.

IF I use something other than plain yarn or strike putty, it's the smallest size Lightning Strike or Fish Pimp football I can find.

They attach in-line, cast fine, come in brighter more visible colors, hold fast to any size tippet, are adjustable, they have no "halves" to accidentally drop in the crick, they don't bugger up your leader...

...and you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy a dozen in different colors. ;)

I suspect I was an early adopter of strike putty. I don't know when it debuted but I remember using the stuff quite a bit 1999-ish. I haven't used any in a long time. As I recall, there were days, especially on the Yellow Breeches, where the putty got as many takes as the nymph below it.

I’ve had the same experience with putty lol.

It's funny you say that...

I still use the unfortunately discontinued Orvis Strike Putty (way better than Biostrike) that came in three colors, one being florescent yellow/green. I almost exclusively use it for fishing tiny (24-32) midge pupa a few inches below the surface.

Whenever I'm midge fishing in the summer and start getting a lot of hits on a yellow Strike Putty indicator, I'll cut off the midge, lose the indicator and tie on a small foam inchworm...

...it almost always results in a fish or two. ;)

I use them, but they are heavier than some other choices. This is good and bad. With the additional weight, you can cast them well, however, I find they tend to create a bigger splash when they land. In slightly broken water, they are my first choice as an indicator, but I use alternatives for fishing calmer water.

ill have to check them out, thanks. i only use bobbers in winter. my current bobber is thingamabobbers (size large) and have liked them for years. always wiling to try something different though

@NetWork, I have noticed something similar when fishing these indicators. I think you and @Kyle should check out the Corqs indicators offered by Orvis. The Oros foam indicators are denser making them capable of casting further because the are less air-resistant. I have found that the Corqs ride higher and land a little softer, well softer for this style of indicator. I basically use these indicators solely now and can't say I've even tossed an Oros this year. The Corqs have a variety of sizes I really like too, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 and the bright neon colors makes them really easy to spot. Hope this helps.

Back