Orange, fly fishing

laszlo

laszlo

While I was out fishing last Saturday I heard several gun shots fairly close by and thought, Holy Crap that was pretty close. And here I am clothed in drab green, tan, and grey, this may not be too safe. I immediately went out and bought a blaze orange Carhart beanie. Anyone else have a close call or getting nervous during hunting season?

I've been wearing fluorescent orange (ball cap, bandanna and vest) for years when fishing SGL's where it is required in November & December and elsewhere during deer & bear season.

Zero issues with catch rates and I've never been shot...

...so far!

yup. Had shot flying overhead and hitting the trees behind me while standing in the stream about 8 years ago. The bank was high enough so I had cover. Ran out and got some orange. However, I thought to myself ...the orange probably isn't going to help me standing in the stream. Those shooting probably did not see me. The orange is for getting to the stream.

I also put an Orange Vest on my dog this time of year. He is big and the same color as a deer.

Unless I'm in a spot where I am certain there are not going to be hunters, or it's a Sunday, I wear orange from mid-October through the New Year. Most of the time I'm fishing in a SF or SGL though, so I'm almost always wearing orange during this time frame. I do think fish spot me easier, and spook easier when wearing the orange versus camo or drab colors, but it’s better to spook a Trout than inadvertently have an accident.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of fishing period during rifle season, unless it’s a Sunday or it’s somewhere where I know hunting isn’t allowed. Just too many guys in the woods for my taste then, and the likelihood of an accident I’m sure is greatest during that time period.

It's actually a fairly normal occurrence for me year-round to hear gunshots while in the woods fishing in PA. Fortunately, they’re usually well off in the distance, and someone target shooting on a property adjacent to the public land I’m on.

Five years ago at Nescopeck State park I was in the DHALO area on the first day of turkey season . I saw a few birds near the stream but they moved into the woods. About 10 minutes later I heard a few shots and then the bb's hitting the leaves above my head. That was the last time I fished in hunting season without any orange.

I typically don't wear orange in Spring Turkey, but it's probably worth at least thinking about. I've generally thought (assumed maybe) that there are just far less guys out for turkey than deer, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate assumption or not.

I keep a couple versions of orange hats in the car during the fall and depending on day and location will put one on if I know i'm near a hunted area, or if I am not sure about it. I think it helps keep other fisherman from fishing on top of me as well.

Walked into a spring turkey hunter on SGL's. We were both shocked how close we got to each other before noticing.

I pretty much avoid highly trafficked hunting areas from October on.

Wearing orange during hunting season is a good idea, pretty much anywhere. Never know where you can come across hunters

A few years ago, I was fishing spring creek in October. The lower part of the stream in Milesburg, at the old power plant site.
When a car pulled up, and two guys barreled out of it with shotguns.
And started blasting away at ducks.

Sure caught me off guard
There are houses around there. And I don't know if they were 150 yards from them - which is illegal.

And shooting ducks along spring creek isn't very sporting IMO.
They're so used to being around people, they're practically tame

I have seen gun toting hunters while fishin the Tulpehocken. I have an orange vest and hat for occasions like this.

Does anybody have any stats, or solid figures, on fishermen being shot accidentally?

I'm sure that if it's happened, there's a database or study out there somewhere to track these accidents.

ColdBore wrote:

Does anybody have any stats, or solid figures, on fishermen being shot accidentally?

I'm sure that if it's happened, there's a database or study out there somewhere to track these accidents.
The PA Game Commission has statistics on Hunting-Related Shooting Incidents (HRSI's) but may not have stats relating to whether the person was hunting, fishing or just enjoying nature.

I once encountered hunters at Clark's Creek which surprised the hell out of me and I also made the mistake of fishing up in Penn Forest Township during deer season (WITH orange) which scared the hell out of me!!

Fishing during deer or bear season in the northeastern counties can be terrifying as there are tons of out of state cowboys in the woods that time of year. I avoid all SGL's for the most part until the end of January and leave other locations if I hear gunfire in my vicinity.

I was intentionally shot at many moons ago while fishing a small stream up in Monroe County and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I called the cops once I was out of harms way and even laid in wait for the SOB, but nothing ever came of either.

It's not something I want to experience again even though I typically fished armed these days. Regardless, a pistol is no match for an arsehole with a rifle.

Bamboozle wrote:

I was intentionally shot at many moons ago while fishing a small stream up in Monroe County and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I called the cops once I was out of harms way and even laid in wait for the SOB, but nothing ever came of either.

Was this on public land?

Swattie87 wrote:
Was this on public land?
Positively!! I am adamant about not trespassing and/or asking permission.

And to be honest, shots were also fired when I was zig-zagging and running S-scared along a former Conrail ROW which sure as heck wasn't owned by the shooter.

The Stroud Township PD seemed marginally disinterested which leads me to believe it was a regular occurrence or they knew the perp and planned on warning him/her/undecided.

I never heard a thing about it afterwards.

I also had a friend shot at up in Potter from a house along the upper reaches of Pine in West Pike. That guy was lucky it wasn't me he shot at...

Yeah, that’s not good. I’d be interested to know what stream that was in Monroe.

I was shot at while hunting once. My buddy and I laid behind large trees as rounds tumbled through the branches above us.

The guy (neighbor) was mad that a few weeks before we were sighting in at a well established backdrop on a Sunday.

Cops didn't bother to show up.

I did have the guy lined up through the scope, but chose not to defend myself.

I've been peppered with shot twice. No real damage, but scary and I wear orange outdoors in hunting areas and only fish some spots on Sundays (plus most other guys are watching football).

Got hit in the side of the head walking the tow path of the Delaware Canal by some pheasant hunters in an adjacent field. Was long distance and only smarted. Second time while grouse hunting. I flushed a grouse and another party I was unaware of behind me shot at the bird I flushed and hit my back and knocked me to the ground. Felt like somebody hit my back with a baseball bat and knocked the wind out of me. Fortunately it was a cold day and the many layers I was wearing kept the shot from penetrating.

I used to be teased by a fly shop owner for wearing a bright yellow cap in hunting season; said I scared the fish. I don't care.

I was showered just last year on Spruce Creek, of all places. I was fishing just above the wire on the lower end of George Harvey PSU stretch. It was late May. Shotguns were shot on the ridge above and I heard the BBs coming through the tree canopy. It was on purpose, but I was on public land... the jerks shooting were total ****wads.

Back