Optional Fishing License Button

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

Just curious how many of you fellows purchased the optional fishing license button. I bought my 2016 license today and decided for the first time to spend the extra $5 and order the button. I like the brook trout theme. I hope they continue each year to feature a different fish. Maybe a brown or rainbow trout next year?

I got the pink one last year, and will probably get the brook trout one. I figured I'll probably try and get it every year just to collect them.

Plus, the money goes to a good cause so I don't feel like I am just pissing it away.

Bought my license on line last weekend and hovered the mouse over the option to buy the button then decided not to. I do like the brook trout skin but just didn't feel the need to pay another $5.00 for it.

I buy a license and combo trout/erie permit even though I haven't fished for steelhead for probably 3 - 4 years now.

I like to purchase one for two reasons.

1. I dig them. I think they are neat.

2. Its way less bulky than a traditional license. I pin in on my slingpack and it stays put out of the way. It doesnt flap around in the wind or get caught on overhanging branches like a paper license does pinned to my hat. I keep my printed license inside the pack in a zippered pocket to keep from losing it.

Unfortunately, I purchased one back when they first went on sale in December and still have yet to receive it. Its been about a month now. Has any one else had this problem? Ive tried using the email service link they have on the webpage with no luck, it keeps giving an error code. I need to get around to calling them I guess

I buy them for the convenience of not having to display a license and to add to a collection of buttons that my father had started.

I purchased my 2016 license on New Year's eve. I declined the button option. I lost my license 4 days later. I wish I had that button.

I just bought my license earlier this week (have not used it yet) and threw in the extra 5$ for the button. The fellow told me it may be 3-4 weeks before I receive the button. Maybe now that they have part of a budget approved they may have the funds to pay for the mailing of the buttons. I'm still trying to figure out if the administrative effort and postage is really going to work for the PFBC for a 5 dollar button. However, I do think the brook trout theme is pretty cool and I hope that the $ that they make on it does go for a good cause.

I might get one, but I feel that they should give you one with a purchase of a multi year license.

For anyone interested, I sent an email via the contact link at the bottom of the PFBC home page. This is what I received -

Mr. Sankovich,

Thank you for your email question regarding the status of your pin. The vendor is currently back logged and is working to get everyone their order. Please continue to be patient and feel free to check back with us. I apologize for the delay.

Sincerely,

Val

Val Groetzinger
Operations Manager
PA Fish and Boat Commission
Division of Licensing and Registration

I ordered my License online like i always do and decided that i may as well spend the extra 5 since it does go to a cause.

now the question is, how long does it take for the button to arrive? going on 2 weeks for me

I want to say the button took quite a while to arrive last year as well. I think I called and was told the same thing about the vendor being backed up and it should arrive shortly after my call.

I ordered mine this year when I got my license in December. They told me they would mail it to me but I have not received it yet. The brook trout pattern looks nice. I was not planning on getting it but I used leftover store credit my dad had (before he passed in May) at an outdoor store near my home to purchase my license and I wanted the button as something I could keep. As a fisherman who taught me everything I know about fishing, I thought what better thing to buy then my 2016 license and continue on fishing. The button will be something I keep along with some other collectible fishing memorabilia I have.

steveo27 wrote:
For anyone interested, I sent an email via the contact link at the bottom of the PFBC home page. This is what I received -

Mr. Sankovich,

Thank you for your email question regarding the status of your pin. The vendor is currently back logged and is working to get everyone their order. Please continue to be patient and feel free to check back with us. I apologize for the delay.

Sincerely,

Val

Val Groetzinger
Operations Manager
PA Fish and Boat Commission
Division of Licensing and Registration

Thanks for posting this. I bought a button on Dec. 11 and had not received it yet. It's not like the vendor should be anticipating high demand in December and January and plan accordingly or anything :-D

I haven't had the opportunity to fish this year, so it's not a big deal yet, but Saturday is definitely looking like a possibility. Guess I will be trotting out the old paper license or just roll the dice and produce a license if I'm stopped.

Does anyone know if they are doing the Save Our Susquehanna buttons this year? I couldn't find it anywhere on the website, just a place to donate money. I donated a little but held off because I'd like to buy a button too. I bought one last year to support the effort and because it was cooler looking and more convenient than a regular license. I would gladly do it again this year if they become available.

I ordered it on the first day they were available last year and it took like 2 months for it to arrive.

Does anybody know if the button is available for non resident licenses?

salmo wrote:
Does anybody know if the button is available for non resident licenses?

Yes it's available for non residents.

Some people think the button can be used in place of the fishing license but the button is not a substitute for a fishing license according to the states website. You can display the button but you still need the paper license on your possession. At least that's the way I read it online when I ordered.

Agree with Jeff. Bought my non-resident and ordered the button for the first time since brookies are my favorite. Even with the button, you have to carry the regular license and produce it when asked.

icyguides wrote:
Does anyone know if they are doing the Save Our Susquehanna buttons this year? I couldn't find it anywhere on the website, just a place to donate money. I donated a little but held off because I'd like to buy a button too. I bought one last year to support the effort and because it was cooler looking and more convenient than a regular license. I would gladly do it again this year if they become available.

I ordered it on the first day they were available last year and it took like 2 months for it to arrive.

I asked the PFBC about SOS buttons late last year and the answer was "we're not sure yet".

The reason I asked was last year, the SOS buttons were offered long after the regular buttons went on sale. By that point I had already purchased SEVERAL of the regular buttons @ $5 for the different fishing hats I have in the different bags I store my gear in.

When the SOS buttons came out, I bit the bullet and purchased a bunch of those too @ $10 each. Bottom line, this year I was hoping to get a regular button or three for my trout fishing hats and a couple of SOS buttons for the bass fishing hats. At this point if they make a 2016 SOS button, I guess I may end up buying more. In the mean time I donated some $ to SOS since the buttons only generated a little over $5 in funds.

FWIW - The regular buttons @ $5 with the cost of production and shipping generate hardly "profit" for the PFBC so button sales are hardly a fund raiser.

In regards to the display requirement, as stated by others wearing a button only serves to eliminate the need to display the paper license which has to be carried too (I guess because among other things there is no way for a WCO to tell if you have a trout stamp or Lake Erie permit from a distance). Secondary ID must also be available upon request by a WCO as well. Where this secondary ID must reside I'm not sure.

Correct. You still need to carry and be able to produce the paper/printed license. It does not need displayed if the button is displayed but it needs to be on your person. i keep mine in the ziplock pouch in my sling pack, that way I dont lose it. It has to fall out of the ziplock pouch and the zippered pack. You also need a secondary ID as stated above. I just carry my wallet with me as it has a drivers license in it as well as a conceal carry permit. I typically carry my .45 when Im fishing, especially if its off the beaten path, so the conce carry permit is also necessary

Back