O'Pros Rod Holder

Trout_It

Trout_It

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a gear junkie and I'll give something a shot if I think it will make life on the stream easier. Anyone have any experience with the O'Pros Belt Clip Rod Holder? I've seen the Lively Legz guys using them in their videos and they actually look pretty convenient. They're made in the USA and at $25, it might be worth while.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a gear junkie and I'll give something a shot if I think it will make life on the stream easier. Anyone have any experience with the O'Pros Belt Clip Rod Holder? I've seen the Lively Legz guys using them in their videos and they actually look pretty convenient. They're made in the USA and at $25, it might be worth while.
Looks interesting. The first time my line got wrapped around it and I lost a good fish it would be floating down the river after I ripped it off.

I have a similar belt rod holder and I really enjoy it. I think it is quite helpful to be able to clip the rod in and have both hands free to change flies, manage a fish in the net, or just be able to warm your hands when nothing is happening.

I’m guessing once used you will wonder why you didn’t buy it long ago. Being a no gear junkie, I think it looks like a winner at 24 bucks. I won’t get one only because I don’t wear wader belts.

I thought I heard a snapping/popping sound on the video on the O'Pros website when the guy put a rod in the holder. I assume that was the sound on the grip snapping/slipping into the plastic hooks.

If you have a fatter grip this means even more squeezing and a chance of chipping the cork grip or at minimum creating a wear/flat spot on the grip.

For that reason and the overall chunkiness of it, I'll continue tucking my rod under my arm.

I have one and it's great. You can get your rod into it easily and quickly so it's frees up your hand (or your armpit, lol) when you have a fish in the net or if you need to tie a knot or get something out of your pack. And it stays out of the way when not in use. A nifty and underrated piece of gear.

Last edited:
I try and keep things simple anymore. I have enough problems with my line without more stuff getting in the way. I need my wader staff as a priority and then a net. For me, I think this would just be one more problem.

That being said, it would helpful when I take a picture of a trout. Too much to juggle at that time. Also for $25 it's worth a try. Let us know if you get it.

I tried mine out last year and haven't had more trouble than it's worth to keep using it. That said, make sure the belt is 3" wide where you attach it (or build up the area with duct tape). Otherwise, the angle locking feature won't do any good and a 9' fly rod will torque the holder right off your belt. I've been able to avoid line hang-ups by limiting its use to on-the-water (not while walking around with the rod attached), keeping it way back on my hip, and my vest is long enough to hang over the hooks. It's a nice place to keep your rod when you're unhooking a netted fish, or when you change flies in the middle of the creek. The loops and snaps on my vest never did a good job of holding a flyrod.

i have been using this for the last 6 months, small and worked great for me. I replaced the stock one with a better s-biner

FWIW - I often use a Richardson Box. When I need to do extra fiddling, I slip my rod under my arm but I place the reel behind one of the straps coming over my shoulder and that holds my rod securely until I am done.

If I am using a shoulder bag which I do on small streams, I can put my rod under the flap or behind the strap and under my arm to achieve the same security.

My arm pit has served me well as a rod holder!

I've found the ground/streambed to be convenient. ;)

I’ve seen these in the Lively Legz videos too, and have considered one. Not for small stream fishing, I agree the ground works fine, but for larger streams where you’re standing out in the middle. I just use my armpit too, but it’d be nice to have both arms completely free when unhooking a fish, or rebuilding a leader or tippet. Or opening a beer. I’ve almost bought one numerous times, but stopped, as it’s not really something I need.

Back