Opinions?

Let me know how you make out. I always just quit at Geigertown cause, well, it's a convenient place to quit and I didn't know about land ownership above that. No doubt there's some fish up there. And Chaz confirms.

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
Biggg, yep, just at the other end of it toward 345. Pcray, very cool! That the kind of little stuff that I love to fish! I know the guy who owns the land adjacent to the part above Geigertown rd. Might ask him if I can fish.

Thanks WBT! I used to take my son down to see the trains when he was younger, so I have a general idea where to start looking. I'll be damned I didn't know there was this much good water near me, I had just pretty much put everything in the corner since I couldn't make it to the TULLY. I would have broke the fly gear back out a long time ago. Maybe I would have found it all too :-|

There are almost always fish somewhere in the headwaters, but often not worth fishing. As mentioned, however, it is often worth it to work further up stream and look for better habitat.

I can think of two streams that I found fish in that surprised me in the extreme headwaters. One was a small, "wild" trout stream that fed into another, that fed another, that fed a river. The access point was above even the "head waters" on a map, so I walked in. I always walk along the water and look for pools and watch for fish to start. As I aproached a section of water probably 8" wide and a few inches deep, there was a small pool below a rock (think a bathroom sink) and lo and behold a brook trout. Saw one more fish over the next 1/4 mile or so. until the water started to look more like your typical smallest stream you'd find fish.

the other was a stream that was formerly on the wild trout list, removed, and slated for consideration (it ultimately was NOT added back).

It was all dried up where we first accessed it, with 10-12 brook trout in large pools where the stream crossed a rural road through pipes. We drove up an old logging/gamelands road for several miles and came to near where the stream originated from a blue gil pond. There was hardly a trickle of water running, and we fished about 1/4 mile with no fish. Decided to walk to the pond and nearly to it, the stream had a very small widening and had a spot about 18 inches long, 1' wide, and 8" deep with a rock at the bottom. I dropped my fly in and out swam a ~7-8 inch brookie. Not just a dink, but a decent sized fish. I missed the strike, and actually had him hit 2 more times and lost him on the flop. Didn't see a single other fish, and the pond the water flowed out of held only frogs and blue gil.

Moral of my ramblings: There will be fish in the most remote headwaters if water quality, temperature, and food are there. But they will be few.

Back