Opinions on new fly rod

J

jt7

Pretty much fly fishing novice so some educated opinions would be appreciated. I have owned a White Rive Dogwood Canyon 9' 5wt for several years. Mostly bream/bass in the past. Few years ago i finally started trout fishing. Been Tn/NC few times, Northern New Mexico & Co. few times so do fish different types of water sometimes. Now looking to get additional rod or upgrade to new rod. Question is would it make sense to add a 3wt rod? If so would 7'6" or 8'6"be better? Thinking about when i fish smaller/ brushier streams in Tn/NC or like Cimarron in New Mexico. I think i want to go with something on the med action side. And know it would be best to go cast these but closest fly shop thats geared toward trout is probably about 6+ hours away.

Rods (3 wt) i'm looking at.. (I want to stay under $200):
TFO Signature 2 - 7'6" /3wt (med action) ~ $150
Redington classic trout- (med action) either 7'6" or 8'6"/3wt ~$120
Allen Heritage- 7"6" /3wt (med action) price is $240 but can try catch a BOGO and would also get a Compass or Heritage 9' 5 wt as an upgrade to my White River.
Echo Lift -7'6" /3 wt ~$110
As a note i just bought a Maxcatch Premier 8'4" 3 wt, looks like decent rod but just seems too stiff/fast for me. Would these other rods i have listed be an upgrade over the Maxcatch?

Last question, would any of these rods be an upgrade (if i also got another 9' 5wt) over the White River i currently have? I like it ok, dont even know what the action is on it but suits me pretty good just wondering if it's worth it to buy a replacement for it. (Thats the only way buying the Allen rods would make any sense to me if they had BOGO).

I have a TFO lefty Kreh 3 wt paired with a krackin reel that was given to me. It was in like new condition when I got it and it’s still in like new condition 5? years later because it never leaves my basement. For small fish like bream and trout I prefer a 4 wt, which strangely enough is a Reddington CT. I really like the CT. My days of fishing brush choked trickles for bitty fish are long over so a 7’6” rod is next to useless for me. Thats just my uneducated preference.

I have a TFO lefty Kreh 3 wt paired with a krackin reel that was given to me. It was in like new condition when I got it and it’s still in like new condition 5? years later because it never leaves my basement. For small fish like bream and trout I prefer a 4 wt, which strangely enough is a Reddington CT. I really like the CT. My days of fishing brush choked trickles for bitty fish are long over so a 7’6” rod is next to useless for me. Thats just my uneducated preference.
I've gotten couple recommendations on going with 4 wt, looks like that is my plan now. Do you think the CT is a better rod than TFO Signature, in same wt/length? Those are they 2 i'm debating on. And any idea how either of those 2 would compare to Allen Heritage or Compass? I THINK i would prefer med to med fast action.

FWIW......I have an 8' 4wt and a 7' 3wt. The 4wt gets used 95% of the time likely because I like it more but also because it's stiffer/longer/casts easier. All rod MFG's you listed above will give you a solid trout rod. Good luck.

Reactions: jt7
I've got a 7'6" 3wt TFO Pro 2 that I fished regularly on blue lines for a while. I like it just fine and it seems like a real good value. But FWIW it's now my guest rod because I got a 7'6" 4wt Orvis Superfine Glass last year that I just like more. Really apples and oranges tho. For me, I like the combo of slower glass and the heavier 4wt line when making super short casts in rhododendron tunnels. But I caught fish with both of them and if I'm catching more these days it's not the rod.

I've gotten couple recommendations on going with 4 wt, looks like that is my plan now. Do you think the CT is a better rod than TFO Signature, in same wt/length? Those are they 2 i'm debating on. And any idea how either of those 2 would compare to Allen Heritage or Compass? I THINK i would prefer med to med fast action.
I’m not the guy to get fly rod recommendations from because I like them all including white river. I never met a rod i couldn’t cast so I’m not wooed by expense, brand, action or what the latest rod shootout says. I couldn’t tell you if my rods are fast, moderate, slow, balanced (whatever that means) graphite, fiberglass or Im6,7,8, etc…. I say buy any cheap rod (under 200) pair it with any cheap line holding reel (under 150 for trout) and fish the crap out it for the next 20 years. Personally I think the CT is a fine rod and all any angler of any experience level really needs. Want is a different story. I have TFO rods in 3 and 8 wt and I like both of them too But I think the CT is just a really great rod at a really great price.

I’m not the guy to get fly rod recommendations from because I like them all including white river. I never met a rod i couldn’t cast so I’m not wooed by expense, brand, action or what the latest rod shootout says. I couldn’t tell you if my rods are fast, moderate, slow, balanced (whatever that means) graphite, fiberglass or Im6,7,8, etc…. I say buy any cheap rod (under 200) pair it with any cheap line holding reel (under 150 for trout) and fish the crap out it for the next 20 years. Personally I think the CT is a fine rod and all any angler of any experience level really needs. Want is a different story. I have TFO rods in 3 and 8 wt and I like both of them too But I think the CT is just a really great rod at a really great price.
I totally agree with you on buying expensive rods, i have no desire to drop lot of money on a rod. And i'm sure i'll continue to use my White River it's really pretty decent rod. i think the CT in a 4wt will serve me just fine, especially for $120! I really appreciate the help/advice from everyone on this forum. Great site

I own and fish the 8 ft. 6 inch Reddington trout classic . You will not find a better casting rod for the money imho. I own many more expensive rods and they do not perform any better than my classic. I primarily fish drys and dry dropper with Sz. 10 to Sz. 22 flies. I am going to buy the 7 ft. 6 inch. 2/3 for small stream applications. I'm very confident after my experiences with the longer rod that I will be very pleased.

I own and fish the 8 ft. 6 inch Reddington trout classic . You will not find a better casting rod for the money imho. I own many more expensive rods and they do not perform any better than my classic. I primarily fish drys and dry dropper with Sz. 10 to Sz. 22 flies. I am going to buy the 7 ft. 6 inch. 2/3 for small stream applications. I'm very confident after my experiences with the longer rod that I will be very pleased.
Good to hear how much you like it, i just ordered same rod this morning! Looking forward to trying it out. I would be interested to hear how you like the 7'6" rod, and if it's much difference between the 2 . I had thought about doing something like that also.

Not only is the Redington Classic Trout the best within your price range; I believe it's the best among nearly every price range. It casts like the old Sage Light Lines or the Winston IM6 rods. For under two hundred, you can own one classy fly rod.

Check out the Taylor Dynamix, Great rod for the price. 199.00 Taylor Fly Fishing gives a 30 day test period where you can return the rod for full refund for any reason.

My 2nd choice would be the Echo Carbon Xl for 179.00.

I do feel the Dynamix is overall a better rod and worth the 20.00 more.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Not only is the Redington Classic Trout the best within your price range; I believe it's the best among nearly every price range. It casts like the old Sage Light Lines or the Winston IM6 rods. For under two hundred, you can own one classy fly rod.
I decided to go with the CT. Just got it in Saturday. I really like the way this rod casts! I don't know anything about the upper end rods but this one is VERY nice, love the way it feels when casting. The Maxcatch rod got sent back quick after comparing it to the CT! Now I'm looking forward to a trip out west to try it out on some trout.

I decided to go with the CT. Just got it in Saturday. I really like the way this rod casts! I don't know anything about the upper end rods but this one is VERY nice, love the way it feels when casting. The Maxcatch rod got sent back quick after comparing it to the CT! Now I'm looking forward to a trip out west to try it out on some trout.
Great choice! I like the feel of it better than a lot of the 800+ rods.

I have the CT in 8'6" 4 wt. Purchased last Spring and only used it last season. Enjoyed using it and glad for the purchase.

You might check out Richard Steinhart at Mr. Ants Rods he will put together a beautiful custom stick for you at a VERY reasonable price and he's a Pennsylvania guy to boot who lives in Plum Boro just East of Pittsburgh. Check him out here on Facebook for some great photos of his handiwork: https://m.facebook.com/104223721374092/

I would go with the Redington 8’ 4 wt.

Back