Opinion on Reel

• Thread starter IdratherbePhishing
  • Start date
I

IdratherbePhishing

Ok, I'm using a 6 foot 6 3 weight fly rod for most of my Clarks Creek fishing. Looking into buyin a smaller 3 weight reel. Basically the two at the local store I had been to that I was looking at was one of these two- Orvis bar stock 1-3 weight its really small and i like the lightness of it, and the other was a G loomis I think it was the venture 3. Im looking to spend about 100-150 no more just cant justify spending more. Let me know what you think or if you have any other reels i should look into etc. Thanks i appreciate the input!

Take your rod to the shop and ask if the can load some line on those reels for you. Make sure each reel balances your rod and you're comfortable casting them. That's the most important. One of the advantages of working with a fly shop. That may make your decision for you.

What he said. Also, any number of space age polymer reels might work out well, and be dirt cheap to the bargin.

FWIW, my 6'6" graphite rod balances perfectly with a Cabelers' LSR1 and a Orvis CFO123.

i say keep the reel you got. its only a place to hold the line. rarely do you have to put a fish on the reel. save the money for something more useful. just my .02$

I own a Loomis "Venture 3" and would recommend it. IMO the best reel on the market in it's price range.

Quite frankly, for a 3WT rod I'd consider a bit less expensive reel. With that said, I also own a Loomis Venture (the largest version) and agree it is excellent. I use mine for everything from smallies to bonefish and its perfomance has been flawless (and the price is good - I think all the Venture reels retail for about $100). I just think a disc drag reel in that price range is a bit much for a 3WT.

Thanks for the info! Its gonna be a one and done type deal. Currently I'm fishing a martin 3 wt that I had bought in a combo. Just looking for something a little bit nicer. I know what your saying as far as a little expensive but due to my work schedule when I fish its normally in my area. I definitely appreciate everyone's input

Also anyone have an ideas on good fly line in 3 wt for a reasonable price. Was looking at the orvis clearwater but it didnt have the greatest reviews. I wasnt trying to get into 70 dollar line but if I have to I guess I might as do it right the first time. I also like the loop that you can tie the leader right on but its ok if it doesn't have it

I bought a Greys Stream Lite 2/3 reel for my 2 weight and it is a great little reel, 3.2 oz. Spent less than $150.

It replaced a Medalist that broke a clicker the first day I bought it, minus one for Medalists IMO, plus the Medalist was too heavy for the two weight. I kept the Medalist if only for nostalgic purposes but they are too loud, too heavy and too clinky clunky for my liking.

Price must have gone up a bit, looks like they're around $160 most places. I normally only spend half that for a fly reel.

Attachments

• Greys streamlite reel.jpg
    Greys streamlite reel.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 5
Remember the medalist dates from the time of bamboo, steel and fiberglass. A light graphite rod is far better served with any number of more modern reels.

FWIW the orvis bbs is durable, classically shaped and well backed. You would be easily be able to to get spare spools and use it on other rods as well.

I see the cheap plastic scientific qnglers reels at sprawlmart, which I imagine should be light. They're certainly cheap at about $15.

I have the orvis BBS on my 3wt and it balances wonderfully--which is not to say that it will on yours. But even for a light set up, balance is key; that is, balance with line through the guides. I agree with everyone else. I will say, I hate the noise that the reel makes--I want silence on little streams.

As for line, I use the orvis superfine. Nice short taper for small streams. Great for dries and midges. I'm not an orvis guy, but I got a good deal when I bought the line and reel together.

I have a couple of the Orvis BBS reels and like them. Will hold up for you for a lifetime. As far as line goes talk to the fly shop your are purchasing the reel from. They will probably let you try a couple of lines out and see what casts best on your rod..
Bill

Just an FYI, the Venture is silent while the Orivs clicks. I have both in different sizes and they're both good reels. Just a note, the Venture is very smooth on the pick-up and will take in line when false casting.

For a 3wt, any old click paw reel should work. You're typically not fighting the fish on the reel or using a disc drag system. Save the extra money on the reel and get a good line or some tippet / goodies.

Dag, thanks for all the input everyone. I do know that the venture is silent and that I love about the reel. The orvis "click" wasn't that bad. I guess I'll have to go again and really look closely with my rod as though I did not have it the first time. Thanks everyone and Good Fishing!

I have an Orvis BBS.. cheap, indestructible, never give you any problems.

the loomis may be a little heavy for your rod, i use a orvis BBS I on a 7' 3wt and its perfect. I have both reels (loomis and orvis) and for your application, I go with the orvis.

Madison River Fishing Company has Galvan Standard and Open Back reels on sale/clearance. You can get a standard for a 2/3 wt. for less than $150. This is a fine classic looking reel with a very silent and pleasing outgoing click. It's a great feature as I like quiet when I'm fishing trout on small streams with my 3 wt. and 4 wt. rods. IMO you can't beat this price or reel for what you're looking for here. Made in USA and a can't beat service company. Worth a look for your 3 wt. If you ever do need to use the drag - it's excellent.

Cheers,
Mike.

GalvanStandard-Clearance-11.jpg

$139.95

Thanks for all of the input! I ended up going with the Orvis BBS I. Felt great on my rod. The Loomis also felt great and really looked nice on my rod but was a little heavier, and sort of felt big. I also looked at Konik and Ross. Decided to go with the Orvis though.

Back