Opinion of fingerling stockings

Stenonema wrote:
How do you know what the carrying capacity is? .

I am sure its some imaginary number they pull out of a hat. Sorry I have very little faith in anything the PAFBC does.

Stenonema wrote:

End stocking.

Make it C&R, and enforce those regs.

Come back in about 7 years or so and electrofish.

That's what was done on Spring Creek. The population biomass roughly doubled.

It's probably near its carrying capacity now.

troutbert wrote:
Stenonema wrote:

End stocking.

Make it C&R, and enforce those regs.

Come back in about 7 years or so and electrofish.

That's what was done on Spring Creek. The population biomass roughly doubled.

It's probably near its carrying capacity now.

Totally love the idea but locals would never have it. Ah what that entire stream could be...

True carrying capacity beyond speculation is what we are talking about. We all should know how to realize that. It is a sin to stock anything in it. Fingerings are the best form of stocking in some scenarios IMHO. But they need new stock to pull from and when the magic of natural reproduction is achieved allow them to fill the niche to natural capacity and if that isn't satisfactory then improve habitat. We are farmers and the trout are the seed and the crop streams are the fields. The game commission knows stocking does not work and trap and transfer is the way to go. Short term gain at the cost of suppression of wild stocks in the fear of decreased license sales

The only certain takeaway is that I would be working on my rainbow trout streamer pattern.

Otherwise, there are too many IF statements to provide clarity:

If a study is being done, which we know is happening generally but don't know the specifics for this stream, then there is at least one protocol and perhaps several to put them in for a certain time period and then you tally the results after surveys (angler, fingerling population and in this instance, we would hope, wild population). Remember, they are trying to figure out if they can reduce adults and replace with fingerlings as much as possible to save money AND, believe it or not, as a response to high wild trout densities on certain stocked streams since fingerlings are less of a competitor and the harvest crowd is not attracted by these dinks at stocking time.

If the fingerlings came from a hatchery (hatcheries) that are maxed out capacity, then is it a bigger expense to destroy them or dump them in Fishing creek? Probably the latter, and so in that sense, a way to save money, as unbelievable as that will be to the anti-gubment crowd.

What stream(s) should they dump them in during low, warm conditions that would be better?

How many are being stocked? This is not irrelevant though the word "stocked" is of course monolithic to the ANTI-STOCKS crowd that assumes any stocking, whether 100 or 100,000 = wild population damage despite mountains of evidence to the contrary, espeicially in wild brown trout streams and especially one of that quality. A big stream like that could absorb many fingerlings without flinching. The LJ did pretty well despite a very large influx of fingerlings and that water gets much warmer and had macro issues (which may be why the fishery did so well as the adults chomped the fingerlings).

If the fingerlings came from Tylersville, how much could that short trip have cost?

Raising to fingerlings costs 75 cents each or so. Raising to adult is about three bucks each, give or take. Even if the hatchery is not maxed out, it may be better to save money and dump the fingerling stockers now, given the very well publicized financial crisis the hatchery system is in.

Like planting weeds in my opinion. Planting weeds in a beautiful garden.

"MKern: I am curious about the Kish Creek fingerlings. Are these stocked at Reedsville, or somewhere else on the stream? Why do you suppose the grown-up rainbows are more difficult to catch? The Kish appears to have a popn of wild browns, and I would have assumed that the browns would be harder to fool."

They are stocked in Reedsville, well not anymore. They currently stock fingerling Browns in the reservoir. Why I have no idea.

The bows are easy to catch than the brown, it's just only been the last couple years I've caught them with regularity.

Back