Opening day fly selection???

B

billm67

I know this is a true newbie question but what are your best guesses for the fly selection/use for opening day on the Yellow Breeches/Central PA area.

Bill, you know I'm itching for you to catch Numbero uno! Use a 16 tan caddis. Even if you get drag, you can get whacked!

Fox...I can always count on you to be there to give me the info I need. Thank you!

Remember to get pictures and you have to be as pumped in your post as Dave and Tom were. We south staters can't let the northees out stoke us!

billm67 wrote:
I know this is a true newbie question but what are your best guesses for the fly selection/use for opening day on the Yellow Breeches/Central PA area.

I'll probably hit Breeches a bit myself tomorrow and will mostly be fishing nymphs and subsurface stuff. I'd try some basic nymphs like a Hare's Ear or Pheasnt Tail in fairly large sizes (#14 or 12). I'll also probably fish with some colorful attractor flies like a Green weenie or a red San Juan Worm. Breeches is at a nice level now but pretty clear and this is mainly a stocked trout fishery so I like to use bright colored flies. You might see some insects, probably caddis as Fox said, but also perhaps some midges. If nothing works, try stripping a white streamer close to bushes and cover.

Any size/color 6-10 wooly bugger. Very easy to fish, and I guarantee they catch fish on the first day, hell anyday.

Right on Phish.

Breeches was higher than I expected today - evidently the upper watershed saw a lot more rain than where I live.

Olive Matuka caught 20 rainbows and 2 browns for me today. Slowly stripped.

Back