Opening Day - Cancelled in NJ

wbranch

wbranch

I just spoke to a friend living in NJ and he told me the traditional Opening Day on NJ stocked trout waters was cancelled due to the Corona virus. I believe it had been scheduled for next Saturday but because of the potential of crowding and not adhering to social distancing the decision was made to just open all waters, effective last Saturday, to catch & release. Sounds like a good idea. Something PFBC should consider.

So how is last Saturday somehow better than this coming Saturday? :-?

Yo wb - this is brilliant. Since quasi-Opening Day (of sorts) is now history, the usual ritualistic Opening Day Frenzy can't be planned for, so the crowds will be spread out. Those who wanted to fill the freezers now can't, so it's just sportsmen that get to 'utilize' the trouts. I was thinking of this last week since I was afraid PA would follow in OR and WA's footsteps and just plain cancel the 18April Opener altogether. In fact, I was trying to think of how best to communicate to the Commission.

Cold Bore wrote;

So how is last Saturday somehow better than this coming Saturday?

Well ii is two weeks earlier than it would normally of been and it potentially allows for spreading out anglers over a greater period. Instead of everyone being all geared up about OD and getting to the waters in the dark and waiting for 8:00 a.m. to come around everyone who wants to fish can go anytime and the likelihood of crowding will be mitigated. It makes a lot of sense to me but then I have no interest in OD and haven't gone to an OD in twenty years.

wbranch wrote:
I just spoke to a friend living in NJ and he told me the traditional Opening Day on NJ stocked trout waters was cancelled due to the Corona virus.
There is NOTHING on the NJ Fish & Wildlife's website or when you Google it, I have a feeling it is a nothing but rumor at this point.

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/trtinfo_spring20.htm#updates

Bamboozle,

Maybe my source is incorrect. But the first paragraph in the link you provided appears to indicate all streams as of April 03 are opened to C&R fishing.

I used to live in NJ and OD ALWAYS was on a Saturday. There was never any pre-season fishing on any waters that were not already designated as C&R all year long.

2020 SPRING TROUT STOCKING UPDATES / CHANGES 4/3/20 - Catch and release fishing for trout began at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, April 1. Most trout waters will temporarily close to fishing again at 12:01 a.m. on April 11 and the season will re-open at the legal time of 8:00 a.m. on April 11 (the official Opening Day of Trout Season), at which time trout can be harvested within established regulations, including a creel limit of six trout per day where allowed. Gear restrictions on special regulated areas still apply.

NJ trout season opened Wednesday April 1st. This change wasn't announced until late in the day on March 31st. It is catch and release only until the traditional opening day of April 11.
I caught this stockie enjoying the early opening yesterday.

Attachments

• 20200403_182259.jpg
    20200403_182259.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2
Based on most grips and reel seats being 10" long that rainbow is at least 22", possibly 24". Nice fish.

It seems that the "traditional" opening day festivities will carry on as normal.

So other than some guys getting to do some C&R a little earlier, I guess I don't see much difference.

2020 SPRING TROUT STOCKING UPDATES / CHANGES 4/3/20 - Catch and release fishing for trout began at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, April 1. Most trout waters will temporarily close to fishing again at 12:01 a.m. on April 11 and the season will re-open at the legal time of 8:00 a.m. on April 11 (the official Opening Day of Trout Season), at which time trout can be harvested within established regulations, including a creel limit of six trout per day where allowed. Gear restrictions on special regulated areas still apply.

Coldbore wrote;

So other than some guys getting to do some C&R a little earlier, I guess I don't see much difference.

Theoretically everyone who has purchased a license and trout stamp is allowed to trout fish ten days earlier (more) than in prior years as long as they are willing to practice C&R. Lots of guys would consider that a big difference if they are laid off, have nothing to do, and live close enough to a stocked stream that would still be adhering to the SIP regulations that do allow exercise close to home as quite a few guys on this forum have indicated they will do.

wbranch wrote:
Based on most grips and reel seats being 10" long that rainbow is at least 22", possibly 24". Nice fish.

Thanks. I was guessing 24" but everyone knows how that goes. Still didn't battle as hard as an 18" wild Delaware fish, but it was fun to catch.

ColdBore wrote:
It seems that the "traditional" opening day festivities will carry on as normal.

I think it'll make a huge difference. Lot's of people out fishing this whole weekend and I think that will reduce the parking lot gatherings and shoulder to shoulder half circles in the popular holes.

The announcement was bungled IMHO. The announcement was in the back of a briefing by the DEC head on 3/31 about corona virus and park status. There were links to an on-line video, but that was not clear. The website posted the announcement today, 4/6, and license holders that got the license on-line and have an email address on file got an email today. Other than that, the plan spread by word of mouth from people close to the fisheries people, ie, the Trout-In-The-Classroom teachers got told right away. Word spread pretty quickly through TU and NJ fishing websites. The 4/1 start had the scent of an April Fool's joke, but it is real.

Another thing is that NJ is trying to reduce number of stocking trips for crew safety and the streams were just loaded up with fish.

JeffK wrote:
The announcement was bungled IMHO. The announcement was in the back of a briefing by the DEC head on 3/31 about corona virus and park status. There were links to an on-line video, but that was not clear. The website posted the announcement today, 4/6, and license holders that got the license on-line and have an email address on file got an email today. Other than that, the plan spread by word of mouth from people close to the fisheries people, ie, the Trout-In-The-Classroom teachers got told right away. Word spread pretty quickly through TU and NJ fishing websites. The 4/1 start had the scent of an April Fool's joke, but it is real.

Another thing is that NJ is trying to reduce number of stocking trips for crew safety and the streams were just loaded up with fish.

Agreed that the DEC didn't update their website in a timely manner, however, multiple newspapers reported the change and the Mayor of my town actually announced it as part of her nightly COVID 19 update.

Back