Online fly shop

O

ov-1

Anybody know of a online shop with decent prices and good quality flies?
Last year I opened my fly box and found all my flies had rusted. Dummy me must have left them wet the year before. I need to replace the whole lot. I can't afford to spend $1.50 each at a small shop. Lookin to buy a few hundred.

http://www.theflystop.com/

I second the recommendation for www.theflystop.com. I've used a few online shops and this one is the best so far. Good quality, good prices and fast shipping.

I rusted a box of flies last year. Makes you want to cry when you see all that wasted time &/or money.

I keep a plastic snuff can in my upper vest pocket through which I have drilled small holes all around. Once flies have touched the water, they are placed in this box. On warm dry days, they will dry out as you fish, otherwise, they will dry out when you get home and put the snuff can out for an hour or two. If you can't do that or have an accident while wading, take the fly boxes out when you get home and open them up in the generally dry air in your house. The next morning, they should be safe to return to your vest or chest box. Every once in a while, I'll encounter some rust on a fly. I have a handy hook file that I use to clean up flies that got some surface rust but aren't thoroughly damaged.

As my middle name is cheapskate, I will also harvest and recycle any beads from hopelessly damaged flies before I discard the carcass.

I also recommend www.theflystop.com, and would also say to look at www.blueflycafe.com and www.bigyflyco.com. I have used all three and pretty much shop for all my flies exclusively from these three. Big Y has a special this month for PA residents, 10% off if you're interested.

thanks all. I order 130 today from theflyshop. I'll hold you all responsible if they stink. Ha.
Actually, I was amazed that they sent me a packed and shipped confirmation within about 2 hours of placing the order.
I felt a little bad about breaking up things into quantities of 4 but they seemed to handle it fine.

oh, another thing...
I found this while searching.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?dir_id=758&subcat_id=13183&pf_id=76TK&adv=93074&cm_mmc=PaidSEOAcquisition08-_-Google-_-Flies-_-93074&bhcp=1

20 nice flies from Orvis (yes, I know they're evil) for $9.95/free ship. Good deal. I ordered one.

ov-1 wrote:
oh, another thing...
I found this while searching.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?dir_id=758&subcat_id=13183&pf_id=76TK&adv=93074&cm_mmc=PaidSEOAcquisition08-_-Google-_-Flies-_-93074&bhcp=1

20 nice flies from Orvis (yes, I know they're evil) for $9.95/free ship. Good deal. I ordered one.

Better get 5 more...that'll give you 6 of each...you don't want to be catching trout on a fly and then have it unravel and fall apart and not have another of that same fly in your box...at .50 a piece its still a good deal if you think you'll have need for every pattern in that selection.

tomgamber wrote:

Better get 5 more...

He'll need the help of 5 neighbors, then. The site said "Limit one selection per household. "

He'll need the help of 5 neighbors, then. The site said "Limit one selection per household.

Actually, I tied ordering more. The system let me but then I got an email lowering the quantity to 1.

Bummer...was actually good deal with the patterns it has...get those neighbors to work...

Orvis has some quality ties and the patterns in that selection were almost all standards for the streams I fish and at $0.50/per, it would be a great deal if you could buy 6 cards. I guess they are trying to hook you onto purchasing flies from them by giving you an inexpensive "sampler pack." If you had other items to order from them, it might be a nice add-on.

Update: I got the flies from theflyshop within three days. They seem like pretty good quality. All-in-all, it has been a good transaction. Average was about 60 cents/fly.
The only problem was they were out of black elk-hair caddis, probably my number one fish catcher. Thanks for the help.

Back