One of Those Moments...

klingy

klingy

I was hiking with my wife and kids last Saturday in a part of Michaux State forest that I haven't explored too much in the past. We were about to the end of our walk when we came across a small stream that I had seen on maps, but had for some reason never explored before. Seeing as how I didn't have a rod with me (not that I would have been allowed to fish anyway!), I just walked up the stream a little ways to see if anything spooked. Sure enough, lots of little brookies went scattering, and I knew I would have to come back.

Luckily, I was going down that way again Sunday, and I would have an hour or so to fish. I got streamside around 1:00, and it was cloudy with a light drizzle. I slowly worked my way upstream, spooking a few here and there, and hooking a few smaller fish. I decided to see what the stream held upstream. I crawled through some rhodo, and was presented with what was one of the nicest brookie holes I have ever seen. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

There was shelf rock all along the right bank with enough water for trout to utilize it all year long. There was a small falls on the left, and plenty of cover throughout the hole. There was also enough overhead shelter that it would be tough to even present a fly without getting hung up. A perfect spot. There HAD to be a nice fish in there.

I slowly let out enough line to make an extended bow and arrow cast. I pinched the line about 18 inches above the fly so I could get a little extra distance, and hit up by the falls. I thought if I could get the right angle, the fly would float through the prime spots in one drift. I knelt, aimed, and released. The line unrolled, and with a kick at the end, my parachute adams turned over perfectly into the deeper head of the pool. I waited. Nothing. The fly slowly drifted in circles, then was caught in the pull of the current. I couldn't lift my rod due to the brush overhead, so I had to slowly pull the slack through my guides as the fly came closer.

That's when it happened. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow emerge from the shelf all the way against the far bank. There was no urgency in its movement, but it was deliberate in its approach. It slid under my fly, and inspected. After what seemed like 10 seconds of holding my breath, the trout decided that it was in fact food, and with a lift of the snout, and a quick turn back towards its lair, the deception was complete. I did a quick strip set, and prayed that I could keep my rod and line out of the trees. I took some steps backwards, and luckily didn't get hung up. After a few charges, and a jump or two, the brute was landed.

As I unhooked it, and felt its smooth, cool skin slide through my hands on it's way back in the water, I reflected on how special these places and fish really are. It is scenes like this that I keep locked in my memory, and that play out over and over again on those long January nights. As summer slowly fades, and we turn to another autumn, I look forward to the cool nights and crisp days. Another season to savor, and more of these moments that will spark in my memory until my final cast.

Attachments

• Honey Hole.jpg
    Honey Hole.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 12
  • The Boss.jpg
    The Boss.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 6
Slamhog! (Perhaps this belongs in another thread) LOL

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing. I agree, those memories are the things we value the most, the most, more so even than the fish themselves I think.

Wow! That's a heck of a brook trout. I love brookie streams. They're always so beautiful, and very challenging. I have yet to master the bow-and-arrow cast - I'm always afraid that I am going to hook myself unless I am holding the fly itself during the cast, so am always a bit timid about how much tension I put on the line before the cast.

Very nice Pool Boss klingy. 11-12" range? Good write-up too. Been a few years since I fished Michaux, but remember catching some nice fish there.

wow real determination to crawl through rhodo to the pool, and make a cast through all that rhodo into the pool. I know some places like this in the poconos a long way from a road, and far down in a rough ravine, and dont mind saying that I havent been there in a few years.

I have done a little michaux fishing... some of the streams on the north side of the ridge are interesting to see because they have this white quartzy rock on the bottom... there's even an area called white rocks. but the white rock streambed ones, at least up high, seem to be acid rain impaired and may not have brookies.

again great image and story thanks

Swattie87 wrote:
Very nice Pool Boss klingy. 11-12" range? Good write-up too. Been a few years since I fished Michaux, but remember catching some nice fish there.

Yeah, I'd say it was in that ballpark. Probably close to the max for that stream.

k-bob wrote:

I have done a little michaux fishing... some of the streams on the north side of the ridge are interesting to see because they have this white quartzy rock on the bottom... there's even an area called white rocks. but the white rock streambed ones, at least up high, seem to be acid rain impaired and may not have brookies.

Michaux streams are funny like that. One stream can be killer, and the next watershed over is devoid of life. I have been hoping that as acid precipitation improves, we will start to see some bounce back. That being said, I'm not sure the geology was all that favorable in some sections of the ridge for fish in the first place. There will probably be streams that will never fish great. I can think of a few that have some of the best structure and habitat I've ever seen, but I have never even seen a fish in. If you put in the time though, there is some really nice water. Lucky to have it close by.

Yeah I have seen both good and bad streams in that area ...the ones with the really white quartz streambed, I don't know ...I checked the aluminum level in one (it's aluminum that kills fish with acid rain) and it was screaming high ... but yeah some nice habitat in the region too

Nicely done! The water looks great for the time of year. I'm hoping a few more thunderstorms roll in before I get out there in early September.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Great write up. You describe the experience well. I live on the edges of Michaux's southwestern boundary. It's a beautiful treasure to have near by.

Nice fish and good story, I love fish tails.

The geology that produces the white rock also causes acidity and infertility. I've fished streams in Michaux S F that had plenty of brookies, and some that are devoid of them. It's a fun place to explore.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

The quartzite beds in the infertile streams themselves do not produce acidity, it is just that they have zero buffering capacity against acid rain. Hence, acidic streams.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I use to live 45 minutes from MSF. One of these years when I get back I will have to bring my fly rods and go for a hike...

Nice story, and very nice fish. It's always a thrill, in those moments of stalking and calculating your cast, for everything to go right.

HopBack wrote:
Nicely done! The water looks great for the time of year. I'm hoping a few more thunderstorms roll in before I get out there in early September.

Me too. I'm heading to Pine Grove Furnace for Labor Day and the Mountain Creek gauge is showing a huge diurnal variation in flow rates from 1.1 cfs to 1.6cfs! Lowest I've ever seen the water while there was in the neighborhood of 4cfs, so I'm surprised to see that much water in streams that you fished; must be some regional variation, or there is a good spring source nearby.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually considering leaving the bulk of my fishing gear at home.

Definitely a nice fish, and an interesting reaction. Must be an old mellow fish who is past the opportunistic brookie feeding stage.

Very cool story and great fish. Thanks for sharing.

Back