Olocott, NY... Ontario tribs first trip

Fuller24

Fuller24

Heading to NY Friday on search of spring steel and hopefully a brown or two. Planning on fishing below burts dam but this is our first trip ever to ny for fishing. Any advice is greatly appreciated, looking for locations to fish and buy a license.. can you go to any Walmart in NY like you can here?

Just get your license online. They ship it in a few days but you receipt counts as your license until you receive it so you can fish right away.

You can get a license anywhere up there, as far as I know. We usually hit up the Walmart in Dunkirk off 90 on the way there once we cross into NY.

There will be plenty of fish by Burt, but there will also be plenty of circus acts.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

h

Nver fished Burt always stayed to the East. Check out Orleans Outdoors for current flows/conditions.

I've been checking some sites and it looks like they'll be getting a run of steel around the time we go. We'be been having 20+ fish days in Erie this past week and figured we'd make a day trip since its only an hour and a half further. Is it similar to Erie trib fishing?

hey Fuller, 20+ fish days in Erie.............the fish might be a little bigger in NY, but they don't call it "the dirty Burt" for nothing..........I'd buy my license on line and take the receipt with you. If the water is right, the riffles just below the pool at the damn is a good bet..........good luck.

Thanks for the help, we're just looking for some new fish, been to Erie 3 times in less than a week haha. The more I research the more I'm thinking oak orchard area

oak orchard is known for monster browns, but the areas you can fish are limited cause it is only like a mile to the dam from the lake.

It seems like most of the NY tribs are cut off by dams. I almost backed out and went to Erie again but I figured why not you gotta learn the area somehow so ill be getting my license today

Fuller24 wrote:
It seems like most of the NY tribs are cut off by dams. I almost backed out and went to Erie again but I figured why not you gotta learn the area somehow so ill be getting my license today

Not all of them... ;-)

I hope I get to know the good stretches like I do in Erie, ill be heading to NY again if I do good on Friday on the weekend of the 15th and I'm planning to stay for the weekend, if the weather and fish cooperate

Well I got my license and printed two copies of my receipt just in case but are there any specialized stamps needed also like our lake Erie stamp???

No special stamps in NY,you buy a "fishing" license and you're good!

Awesome! Just wanted to make sure, thanks for the quick response I was a little worried

Good luck on your trip. It looks like you might hit a good time to go.

I know it looks like the water should be perfect and fresh fish are coming in. I'll have to post up the pics from Erie before I leave tonight. Then the ones from NY

Back