Old St. Croix Warranty

G

Grey

Does anyone happen to remember or, better yet, have documentation of the old St. Croix warranty policy? I bought an Avid close to ten years ago and as I remember it, the fee was $20 to replace a section. I actually broke it a couple years after buying it and that's what it was --- $20.

St. Croix changed their warranty policies a few years back and they now want $75 to repair/replace the rod section. Plus shipping. If that was the warranty policy on a $200 rod I wouldn't have bought it.

So if anyone has an old warranty card or something would you please look it up?

Thanks for your help.

Think I may have the documentation you are referring to. WIll check tonight.

That would be great. Thanks.

Dear St. Croix:

I purchaed a _______ in 19____. At the time, I recall a _____ year (lifetime) warranty applying to my purchase. As luck or lack thereof would have it, the rod broke/failed/was crushed in my car door. Please tell me the details of the applicable warranty and when I can expect it to be honored. I always liked this rod and have passed along recommendations over the years. I expect my loyalty to be rewarded by a courteous reply and directions on how to process the warranty claim.

Sincerely.

:) Thanks for the form letter, Jack.

I already sent an email to St. Croix quite similar to yours and what I got back was a canned response directing me to their website and warranty page. Even further prodding from me in a follow up email yielded no better results, as they just reiterated the same current warranty policies.

How much did the rod cost? If it was a cheapy - put it to rest and purchase a new flyrod. Check the warranty/and test the rod out before you purchase one and see if it's to your liking.

I know that sometimes flyrods are hard to let go. However if the cost to have a section replaced is almost half the cost, it is time.

I have a couple of Orvis Clearwater II rods...they have a 25 year warranty and when the tip got broke they replaced the whole rod on two occasions. Cost was shipping and handling only.

Grey,

Here's what I found:

For a Pro Graphite rod purchased in 1997:

“St. Croix will promptly repair or replace this Pro Graphite fly rod free of charge if it becomes damaged for any reason.”

For an Imperial purchased in 2000:

“St. Croix will promptly repair or replace this Imperial fly rod free of charge if it becomes damaged due to defects in materials or workmanship or by accident…. Please send the complete damaged rod, along with $10.00 for return shipping to…”

For a Legend Ultra purchased in 2003:

“We will promptly repair or replace (at our option) this rod free of charge if it becomes damaged due to defective materials or workmanship; or fishing related accident for the lifetime of the original owner…Rods that become damaged due to normal wear, non-fishing related accidents, misuse or neglect may be repaired or replaced for a reasonable charge…please include a note explaining the problem , along with $10.00 return shipping…”

Tried to include what I thought were pertinent details. Hope this helps. If you need the entire language from any of the warranty cards send me a pm and I'll try to get it to you in another format.

Spare tip program for $30

http://www.stcroixrods.com/shop/catalog/Rod_Repair_Parts-8-1.html#

Option #2...run it over with your car, pay the $75, get a whole new rod.

Thanks, McSneek for taking the time to look that up. It is interesting to see the progression of their warranty. The Avid that I bought was probably around 2003.

Thanks again.
Grey

When I worked for Hille's we sold St. Croix and the Avid had a lifetime warranty. Anything below the Avid in quality was a limited warranty and anything above lifetime as well.

This was in 2006 and 2007. This is also when the avid was remodeled from the matte black to the current green blank.

Yeah as krayfish stated. $30 shipped to you ive done this twice in the last year on two different avids. My buddies 9'6" 7wt and my out if date 15' 10/11wt spey. Both rods they had tip sections for.

Thanks again for the help, guys. I'm getting it taken care of.

Grey wrote:
Thanks again for the help, guys. I'm getting it taken care of.

But did you use my form?

PennypackFlyer wrote:

How much did the rod cost? If it was a cheapy - put it to rest and purchase a new flyrod. Check the warranty/and test the rod out before

Did you read the original post?

Back