Old spinning reels

I was a 17 year old kid, I have no idea, probably hatchery fish. After that episode we met a local kid who took us to a tiny stream, literally no more than 4' wide. We waded down with him and watched him tickle trout after trout and pull them out from under rocks. This isn't BS either, he would block one end of an opening in between some underwater rocks. Then with his other hand feel if a trout was inside. Then he tickled them and when he got them out they didn't wiggle at all. They were definitely all wild fish. All spotted up. But sometimes he told us he would get bit by a snake or a turtle.
Trout noodling...

If you're not familiar:

Always wanted one of those Mitchell 300 reels when I was a kid . Couldn't afford one then and settled for the 304(Poor mans 300). Worked ok , caught lots of fish with it.

We are miles OT and hijacking kbobb's ad but you can afford a 300 now:

My very first reel was a JC Higgins (Sears) spinning reel and a 7' inshore spinning rod. I was so much a novice (12) that I thought it was a cool rod. I remember my Dad took me on a party boat put of Breille, NJ and I won the pool with that rod & reel. A 11# Tautog (Blackfish). I won around $60. That was really cool.

My first fly rod was when I was about 15. A Phillipson 8' 6" fiberglass and I matched it with the smallest Plueger Medalist, a 1492 if my memory serves me correctly.
You must be a North Jersey guy?

Always wanted one of those Mitchell 300 reels when I was a kid . Couldn't afford one then and settled for the 304(Poor mans 300). Worked ok , caught lots of fish with it.
I have a Mitchell 304 and an Eagle Claw glass rod that will be 60 years old in March. From Macy’s New York when they still sold outdoor equipment.

I have a Mitchell 304 and an Eagle Claw glass rod that will be 60 years old in March. From Macy’s New York when they still sold outdoor equipment.

My 408 was paired with an Eagle Claw Trailmaster...

I still have that too!! ;)

I have an old 60's vintage Mitchell 300, but we were a Shakespeare family and I preferred them. So, I have all of these down in the basement in working order:

The 2052 sort of bridged the gap between light and ultra light, at least as defined back in the early 70's. This is a solid piece of equipment. It sort of reminds me of the front bumper on a 58 DeSoto in that sense. You could damage it, but it would almost require deliberate intent - https://picclick.com/Vintage-Shakes...-Spinning-Reel-285618321832.html#&gid=1&pid=1

The 2499, also from the 70's, was my first UL reel. I still use it a fair amount. Very durable - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-shakespeare-2499-ultra-light-117777769

The 1810DK, 60's closed face, was my Dad's spinning reel and while fully operable, doesn't get fished. I keep it around as homage to the guy who taught me to fish. He had a low boiling point and consequently, he hated open face reels. Even one bird's nest a season was more than he could abide

Back