Old spinning reels

K

kbobb

3 Mitchells and an Alcedo Micron. There is a Mitchell 330, 300, and one without a number that has right hand wind. All of them will need to be cleaned inside and out but are in working order otherwise.

$65 for all of them and if I can find any spare spools you can have them too.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 261
$15 each, $50 for all four.

The Alcedo is really retro, a classic! Worth the $ just to have a piece of spinning history. At one time I had the Mitchell 300, 308, and the gargantuan surf casting size. All long gone.

So did I, back in the 70's, when I first started trout fishing.
My very first reel was a JC Higgins (Sears) spinning reel and a 7' inshore spinning rod. I was so much a novice (12) that I thought it was a cool rod. I remember my Dad took me on a party boat put of Breille, NJ and I won the pool with that rod & reel. A 11# Tautog (Blackfish). I won around $60. That was really cool.

My first fly rod was when I was about 15. A Phillipson 8' 6" fiberglass and I matched it with the smallest Plueger Medalist, a 1492 if my memory serves me correctly.

I remember my Dad took me on a party boat put of Breille, NJ and I won the pool with that rod & reel.
Back then, me and my buds used to go out on the Jamaica (Breille) for bluefish a couple times every summer when the slammer blues were running. I'm talking 10lb-14lb fish. They'd be there all summer long. Not anymore though.

Just like the huge weakfish (8lb-12lb) that used to come into the Delaware Bay every summer. A thing of the past.

Last edited:
...At one time I had the Mitchell 300, 308, and the gargantuan surf casting size. All long gone.

My first reel was a Garcia 408 and my second a 300, both bought with lawn cutting money. I still have both.

Here's the 408:

In the last 5 years I've acquired an Orvis 50A and a Hardy Altex 1 & 2 that I fish on some Orvis bamboo spinning rods I own. ;)

My first reel was a Garcia 408 and my second a 300, both bought with lawn cutting money. I still have both.

Here's the 408:

View attachment 1641233528

In the last 5 years I've acquired an Orvis 50A and a Hardy Altex 1 & 2 that I fish on some Orvis bamboo spinning rods I own. ;)
Awesome! I remember the plastic case they'd come in. Ahhh, the good old days.

Awesome! I remember the plastic case they'd come in. Ahhh, the good old days.

When I began fly fishing and became full of myself, I actually GAVE AWAY the 408 & 300 to a friend. :eek:Decades later when I heard he was looking for a clarinet for his daughter, I asked if he still had the reels...

He said yes and that he never used them. So I traded him for a clarinet in my collection and got the reels back looking as pristine as the day I gave them to him. ;)

Last edited:
Back then, me and my buds used to go out on the Jamaica (Breille) for bluefish a couple times every summer when the slammer blues were running. I'm talking 10lb-14lb fish. They'd be there all summer long. Not anymore though.

Just like the huge weakfish (8lb-12lb) that used to come into the Delaware Bay every summer. A thing of the past.
I remember once I went on an overnight bluefish trip out of a NJ port. We motored all night and were able to sleep below deck on beds built into the hull. The next morning the sea was as calm as glass and we drift fished with hunks of bunker on big hooks and one of those lead sinkers with the rubber core. You could slide them up or down the leader. It was an amazing day, we caught jumbo blues all day long. Screaming reels, mates gaffing fish. We sold a bunch back at the dock and I kept two to eat.

Here's the 408:

View attachment 1641233528

Awesome! Do you wear tweed and a tie when you get out?

When I began fly fishing and became full of myself, I actually GAVE AWAY the 408 & 300 to a friend. :eek:Decades later when I heard he was looking for a clarinet for his daughter, I asked if he still had the reels...

He said yes and that he never used them. So I traded him for a clarinet in my collection and got the reels back looking as pristine as the day I gave them to him. ;)
Lucky you

Awesome! Do you wear tweed and a tie when you get out?

When I was full of myself as young fly fisher I wore a tweed hat but stopped short of jacket & tie in an attempt to look like a dorky version of Ernie Schwiebert.

When fishing these days, I do my best to look like cross between a homeless guy and a plumber.

Cant speak to the weakie fishing in the bay but the last 2 seasons the fishing has been off the hook up in north jersey in the fall due to very large bunker schools. I dont pay attention during the summer when bluefish time is but i bet the blues get on those bunker heavy before the stripers show up. The bunker dont show up when the stripers do they are there long before that.

Cant speak to the weakie fishing in the bay but the last 2 seasons the fishing has been off the hook up in north jersey in the fall due to very large bunker schools. I dont pay attention during the summer when bluefish time is but i bet the blues get on those bunker heavy before the stripers show up. The bunker dont show up when the stripers do they are there long before that.
Sometimes the big blues will be under the stripers gathering up the scraps. They are ravenous. I think of them as being like Piranhas on steroids.

When I was full of myself as young fly fisher I wore a tweed hat but stopped short of jacket & tie in an attempt to look like a dorky version of Ernie Schwiebert.

When fishing these days, I do my best to look like cross between a homeless guy and a plumber.
Yea, I remember Ernie looking all spiffy when he was fishing the private water on the Brodhead.

My only experience with that private water was when I was about 17 and a buddy and I poached it. We were having a ball nailing 12" - 17" browns on ultralight spinning outfits and garden worms. It was great until we got busted by a fish cop hired by the club.

Yea, I remember Ernie looking all spiffy when he was fishing the private water on the Brodhead.

My only experience with that private water was when I was about 17 and a buddy and I poached it. We were having a ball nailing 12" - 17" browns on ultralight spinning outfits and garden worms. It was great until we got busted by a fish cop hired by the club.
Were they wild browns, or stockers? :)

Were they wild browns, or stockers? :)
I was a 17 year old kid, I have no idea, probably hatchery fish. After that episode we met a local kid who took us to a tiny stream, literally no more than 4' wide. We waded down with him and watched him tickle trout after trout and pull them out from under rocks. This isn't BS either, he would block one end of an opening in between some underwater rocks. Then with his other hand feel if a trout was inside. Then he tickled them and when he got them out they didn't wiggle at all. They were definitely all wild fish. All spotted up. But sometimes he told us he would get bit by a snake or a turtle.

I loved my Mitchell 300. I still have it but it has a bent arm.

Always wanted one of those Mitchell 300 reels when I was a kid . Couldn't afford one then and settled for the 304(Poor mans 300). Worked ok , caught lots of fish with it.

Back