Old School

L

Lkyboots

I didn't start out old but sure got there in a hurry. I fell in love with Trout fishing when I was in grade school. After a few years I started to fly fish and pretty much that's all I've done for the last forty plus years. I started fishing with bamboo rods about ten years ago and do most of my fishing with a old Orvis boo rod. I never knew how hard fly fishing was till I started reading these forums.

I've figured out that I'm a grumpy old school fly fisherman that does more sitting than fishing. I tie ugly flies that I call Frankenflies that don't resemble anything normal. I figure most of the Trout I catch are curious as to what's drifting by and bite out of pure killer instincts. I'm not sure how I nymph fish, pretty much the same as I've done for the last fifty years. I cant tell a caddis from a dragonfly. My eyes are so bad now I can't tie on anything under a size 16 and that takes me about five minutes.

So if you see a old fart sitting on a log with a twenty year old fishing vest with a old boo rod smoking a good cigar it's me. Stop by and chat awhile.

I'm old school too - (in more ways than just FFing)...

While I don't fish bamboo, I like my old beat-to-crap vest and 34 year old chest fly box. Call me skeptical of many of our sport's fads, especially new gear and nymph fishing methods.

(Get off my lawn you euro nymph kids!) :lol:

Nice to meet you lkyboots.

Your description could fit a lot of us assembled here. Save room for me.LOL GG

Perhaps someone should organize a grumpy old men meet up. I just got my lifetime license btw.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Your description could fit a lot of us assembled here. Save room for me.LOL GG

I resemble that remark!

Van_Cleaver wrote;

Perhaps someone should organize a grumpy old men meet up. I just got my lifetime license btw.

Do we have to talk to anybody?

Lkyboots, you sounds like Pete, but I think he prefers bad cigars.

Depends on whether he can tolerate the lot of us after a few...sounds like he'd be Jam regular.

Definitely old school here. I fish bamboo and silk lines for all but bass and strippers. Looking for a rod to correct that problem. My
Richardson chest box turned 45 this year which I suspect is older than the average age of members of this forum.

You know you are old when your dresser has a collection of “Old Guys Rule” T-shirts.

just_jon wrote;

My Richardson chest box turned 45 this year which I suspect is older than the average age of members of this forum.

At one time I had two of those boxes, a three & four tray. Then I inherited my Dad's three tray. I sold all three here on the Swap Forum. I used to put hundreds and hundreds of flies in those darn boxes and as I got older one of my biggest fears, besides drowning, was falling in and getting every one of those flies wet.

Now I keep one C&F box in one pocket and a couple little Myran boxes in other pockets and if I do fall only 5 or 6 dozen will get wet and need TLC to bring them back to life.

Hmm, maybe your Richardson is older than many forum members but I'm 30 years older than the box.

Well, I'm in this bracket, too. If I see you on the log with a cigar, I'll head back to my truck, retrieve a couple of beers, and come back to the log and offer you one. We'll reminisce, including about the days when I might have a cigar along to chase off the bugs. Maybe even talk about fly-fishing a little.

(My old plastic fly boxes are pretty vintage, too. I could not justify buying a Richardson box when I was young. Wish I had.)

I have my grandfather's two favorite fly rods. One of them is an Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod that Orvis told me(based on the serial #) was made in 1964 and his Fenwick fly rod that I first fished with in 1968.

I left the hermitage area in 72when I was 18, but based on your description I am still there, right down to the orvis rod and cigar

I have my first fly rod and reel circa 1950's. Bought it in Trafford,Pa. out of a surplus store. It's older than most on this site
I'm like an old piece of toast hard as a rock and a bit burnt around the edges.LOL GG :lol: :cool:

I don't know how old school I am but have been fishing bamboo I think forever. But now I only fishing the bamboo rods I build since my 1st one in 1994. I'll either have a old Frye or Richardson chestbox and I do love a good cigar. Joe E

I actually started out nymph fishing with a graphite rod.i didn’t really start fly fishing till I switched to bamboo.
First with dries,then I moved up to wets.
Now,I use bamboo and fiberglass,depending on my mood. I only use silk lines once in awhile.click and pawl reels of course.
I use altoid tins for fly boxes,and retired my vest in favor of a murse.

A meetup of grumpy old anglers is called our spring jam.

"A meetup of grumpy old anglers is called our spring jam".
Well put ,Shakey. GG

For the record, The Jam is one of my LEAST grumpy moments...

When's the next jam and how do you get invited??????

Back