Old rod Info

N8ureboy

N8ureboy

My dad gave me this rod. Anyone know anything about this?

It has what appears to be a fighting butt, (odd for a very Light Weight 7' rod) a cork reel seat and no locking nut.

Is this all original or did someone mess with it over the years?

all info is appreciated.

I cast it a little and it felt great. Way slower than my Winston but i got some real sexy loops.

IMG_20130329_163812_zps2726e0bb.jpg

IMG_20130329_163751_zps0a78374f.jpg

IMG_20130329_163733_zpsa44f462a.jpg

IMG_20130329_163724_zps5aeeff17.jpg

IMG_20130329_163716_zpse6de5bd5.jpg

I'm 100% sure that is a Deluxe Cliff Wyatt rod ;-)

but srsly some random stuff from the internets,

"Cliff Wyatt owned Wilderness Flyshop in Santa Monica in the from the 50s through the 70s. Legend has it that he was related to Jane Wyatt, Ronald Reagan's first wife. There is a bronze placque to him on a famous pool at Hot Creek Ranch. He built many flyrods over the years and his rods were much sought after by Southern California fly fishermen. I would guess that the rod is probably a 6 wt. Cliff built bamboo rods at first and then switched to fiberglas rods. You didn't say what your rod was made with."

"Cliff was a custom rod builder, a fly tyer, teacher of fly tying. and a tournament fly caster. I believe he won the Western Open Fly Casting championship one year. When I met him, he was building fiberglass rods. He told me he was the designer for the Flyrod blanks for the Harnell Rod Company (later to be called Harrington). I purchased my first fly rod from him. He included fly casting lessons when you purchased a rod from him. He was a pretty crusty old guy when I met him and I was pretty intimidated by him. When I arrived for my first fly casting lesson, he slapped the rod in my right hand and began his lesson. I was too intimidated to tell him I was left handed. As a result I still cast with my right hand although I have taught myself to cast with my left hand.

I don't have any information regarding his bamboo rods. If he paid as much attention to detail with them as he did with the fiberglass rods, they would be well made. One thing I found out was that he had built all of his rod wrapping equipment and it was all manually operated. He also used only 2/0 Silk thread for his rods. The rod he sold me had two agate stripping guides and a nickel silver ferrule. You should check your bamboo rod to see if it has agate stripping guides. Since that was a time when there was not a lot of Tonkin Bamboo available, I can only wonder where he obtained his blanks or the bamboo to make the blanks.

He was a very interesting person who was well read and could discuss any topic with you and give you his considered opinion--with gusto. He loved to fish in Hot creek in the Sierras."

"For his fiberglass rods he always used the red/black classic twist with a sunset yellow trim."

etc, etc.

i read that forum conjecture as well
jane wyatt was never married to RR that was jane wyman, jabne wyatt was on father knows best and Star trek (hell yeah). Cliff was on father knows best for one episode. This rod is a cool mystery

best info i found was that the 63 stood for 1963 and personal means he made it for himself. but people argue that as well. He was fly fish champion and on Father knows best in 1963. Could this possibly be the rod?

bidding starts at $15,000. + $10 for gas

You should post this on the Fiberglass Flyrodders. Someone might know about your rod, they seem to know about all kinds of obscure rods.

that means i have to join another fishing forum. I waste WAY to much time on this one(when i am supposed to be working that is)

I got kicked off that one, too.

I think you've got the most you'll ever find already, the only thing that's really outstanding, information wise, is where did the blank come from.

More than likely its sourced from someone else.

Use it with a 6wt.

The best part about it is the "personal" tag. Any worth from the rod comes from that. I'd fish it, as would several others here.

I don't know about worth, but considering how little there is about Cliff Wyatt, I suspect not as much as one would hope. Since it was the old man's, it has more sentimental value.

Give it to me, I'll hold it in trust till Turkey's old enough.

I found cliff wyatt rods fron the 70's that sold for $250 and had repaired guides. This is from the 60's if what i read is true. I was hoping an experienced (older) angler would know. BTW where is pete?

gfen wrote:
Give it to me, I'll hold it in trust till Turkey's old enough.

eeew thats dirty...

Two people that might have some knowledge on Mr. Wyatt would be James Green and Larry Kenney. Both California guys I believe. N8ureboy, I could take your pics from here and post em up over at FFR. I'm sure other people searched, but there wasnt much info over there.

jdaddy wrote:
N8, fighting butt?

Fighting dongle? The pics don't show it well but it has a large rubber end cap or a fighting dongle or what ever you fish hipsters call it.

Here's a screen cap from the Father Knows Best episode, A Medal for Margaret

1273185891_9.jpg

N8ureboy wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
N8, fighting butt?

Fighting dongle? The pics don't show it well but it has a large rubber end cap or a fighting dongle or what ever you fish hipsters call it.

we usually call it a rubber end cap.

I am n00b.

RCFetter wrote:
Here's a screen cap from the Father Knows Best episode, A Medal for Margaret

1273185891_9.jpg
Oh man, that brings back some memories.

Any recommendations on period appropriate reels for this rod?

I think a vintage reel would be the right way to go for this rod.

Johnson Magnetic.

Back