Old rod and reel

Reading through Marinaro's "In the Ring of the Rise", he says that reels should be as light as possible. And that the whole idea that the reel needs to be heavy to balance a heavy rod is a "myth."

He mentions a tournament casting competition years ago, where a guy cast with no reel, and he did very well. The idea being that without the extra weight he could generate more speed in casting.

I've never got deep into the mechanics of casting or anything, so don't know for sure, but I think he's right about this.

If anyone is curious about this, just go out on the lawn and take the reel off, put in on the ground, letting loose line lay on the grass and cast. I don't think your casting will suffer from not having that weight of the reel on there.

Gfen,

I finally got around to trying to flip the reel to the other hand, and found, much to my chagrin, the metal drag plate was, as you described, not possible to flip. Am I S.O.L, or was i just not doing something right? there was no way to reattach that plate and have it work without the groove.

I just can't see trying to fish it with the other hand, so I think I'll be putting that one on the swap board for anyone interested. It's in pretty rough shape, but seems to still be fishable if anyone has interest in a Right Hand Reel. No line on it at present.

You can obtain a parts reel: the cheaper, newer, models are reversiable and all parts will transfer.

You could try contacting Pure or Shakespeare or whomever owns Pflueger and request a replacement plate. Don't tell them its for a classic, they'll insist it won't work. Since the reels ar enow out of production, you're probably wasting effort here.

You could obtain a plate from a third party, specifically One Pfoot.

You could learn to stop worrying and love the bomb. You'd be surprised at how little it matters which hand you wind with.

That said, I'm sure someone on this board would love to take your storied classic and rape it with a wire brush and some paint stripper.

gfen wrote:
....That said, I'm sure someone on this board would love to take your storied classic and rape it with a wire brush and some paint stripper.

:-o

Attachments

• G's Junk.jpg
    G's Junk.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3

I raped my Chinese model, still made at the time, with a Dremel, not a wirebrush...

And you're going to need to update your file, I now have a 1498 (Japanese) with the same Dremel rapeaments:

1495v1498.jpg

That said, all their patina is honest and earned. Finger wear, dropping, and being used to hook the occasional out of reach branch for fly retreival.

gfen wrote:

I raped my Chinese model, still made at the time, with a Dremel, not a wirebrush...

And you're going to need to update your file, I now have a 1498 (Japanese) with the same Dremel rapeaments:

1495v1498.jpg

Aryan made...classic!

Asian made...junk!

Sieg Heil Fenstermacher!!

Attachments

• sieg heil.jpg
    sieg heil.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2

Last I checked, they never had a Northern Indian plant, but if they did they'd have about the same quality of reputation as the Far Eastern models.

gfen,

So you read Lefty Kreh, too? I made this same modification (suggested in one of his books) to my "imported" Pflueger for fishing stripers. Works like a charm. Still use it often.

You convinced me, Gfen. I'll line 'er up and give it a go. But just know I am totally going to make up a story about losing a monster when I switched hands to reel it in and blaming you. :)

Back