Old Orvis Graphite Fly Rods

O

outsider

I've been trying to find the value of old Orvis graphite fly rods (circa mid 70's). Any suggestions?

Look on the hood of the reel seat. That is to say the cap of the reel seat. Does the rod have a name? Some of the older graphites are sought after like the "far and fine" this was a 7'9" 5wt rod based off of the taper and feel of the original "far and fine" bamboo taper profile. I own several orginal orvis graphites and they are hands down my favorite rod to cast.

I bought 2 Orvis graphite rods when they first started making them.

One is a 7' 1 5/8 ounce 5 weight with cork reel seat and sliding bands.

The other is 8' 2 1/4 ounce 6 weight (although everyone I knew including me fished it with a 5 weight line).

Sorry, I should have given the specs in my first post.

I also have the original tubes.

outsider wrote:
I bought 2 Orvis graphite rods when they first started making them.

One is a 7' 1 5/8 ounce 5 weight with cork reel seat and sliding bands.

The other is 8' 2 1/4 ounce 6 weight (although everyone I knew including me fished it with a 5 weight line).

Sorry, I should have given the specs in my first post.

I also have the original tubes.

The rods from the 70's generally go for around $150. Depending on the model the number can go up or down. (8' 3" 7wt at the bottom; 7' 11 4wt at the top)

Your 8' 6wt is a very common rod, so the price stated above should be in the ballpark.

The 7' 5wt is less common, if you find someone looking for one, you may get into the $225 range.

Thanks shortrod2 for the info. Would e-bay be the best site to sell (other than here)?

Another idea is try searching for those on closed auctions on e-bay and see what people were willing to bid for them

shortrod2 wrote:

The 7' 5wt is less common, if you find someone looking for one, you may get into the $225 range.

If you can get $225 for a 30+ year old rod, take the money and run.

I think $150 is pretty good depending on condition.

I looked at the sold section on e-bay, and was astounded at the prices that early era Orvis graphite rods command. The 8' 6 weight went for as high as $305. Could not find the 7' 5 weight, but I believe they are much more scarce, which usually indicates a higher value for collectors.

Pennkev, look at the prices for old glass rods, it's amazing what some of them sell for. So if your rationale is "why pay a lot for yesterday's technology", look no further than glass rods. As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of companies (big and small) making great glass rods today.

the 8' 6wt is one of the most common early taper rods. it is known as the "trout" model and is one of my favorite tight quarters bass rods.

the 7' 5wt is more of a conundrum. my guess is it is an early variation of the "trout bum" which has seen several reincarnations through the history of the superfine line.

all told, both are exceptional fishing tools and should you be interested in selling them you should expect a price range north of 130 for each. keep in mind that this is dependent upon condition.

congratulations again, you have two very nice fishing tools.

TimRobinsin,

The 7' 5 weight is an extremely fast rod, just so you know. My impression of the "trout bum" rods were slower rods. Your thoughts?

The 8' 6 weight rod was the most popular Orvis rod at that time. It was my "workhorse" rod at that time along with my Leonard 7'-6" 5 weight Duracane bamboo rod (still own it).

outsider wrote:
I looked at the sold section on e-bay, and was astounded at the prices that early era Orvis graphite rods command. The 8' 6 weight went for as high as $305. Could not find the 7' 5 weight, but I believe they are much more scarce, which usually indicates a higher value for collectors.

Pennkev, look at the prices for old glass rods, it's amazing what some of them sell for. So if your rationale is "why pay a lot for yesterday's technology", look no further than glass rods. As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of companies (big and small) making great glass rods today.

I merely stated what I thought the rods were worth. Anyone thinking they are destined to get a nice payday from an old orvis graphite rod are setting themselves up for disappointment IMO. The collectors market for glass has been around for a while now, maybe vintage graphite is the next big thing. I dunno.

PennKev, I do appreciate your input, thank you.

outsider wrote:

The 7' 5 weight is an extremely fast rod, just so you know. My impression of the "trout bum" rods were slower rods. Your thoughts

The 7' 5wt is probably the model later known as the "Otter". I have one from 80 and one from 83. And yes the "Otter" is faster than the other early Orvis graphite rods.

Orvis also had a 7' 5wt model called the "Small Stream Special". I have never cast that one.

PennKev wrote:
shortrod2 wrote:

If you can get $225 for a 30+ year old rod, take the money and run.

I think $150 is pretty good depending on condition.

Please tell me were I can buy an Orvis 7' 11" 4wt for $150?

How old do you think this rod is?

The 7' 5wt is the "small stream special" or later called the otter.
Sought after and like would fetch a pretty penny.

Old orvis graphites have a following. 150 for some models is low.
I should know I own a bunch of them. By far some of the best slow rods ever made.

Edit: short rod beat me too it. I will add that from what I've seen these are the most desirable models:
Spring creek
7 11
Far and fine
Small stream special
Tippet
Western (various wts and lengths)
Henerys fork
Rivermaster

I'm sure I missed some, there are so many, but I've seen these ones fetch a pretty penny.

I will add the Marbury 8' 6wt is a sweet sweet light rod.

I have a Henrys Fork and still use it. I have held and cast a Far and Fine and it is a sweet rod. was the Far and Fine only made in one weight? I believe the one I saw was a 5 or 6?

Only in 5wt

correct.

I true F&F is a 7'9" 5wt superfine.

there are several other Orvis Graphite models that are 7'9" and 5wt. But only the superfines are the F&F

One of my first fly rods was an Orvis graphite Far and Fine, 7'9" for a 5 wt. Not knowing any better, I traded it in around 1980 for a 9' Sage (a broomstick but that's another story). I know the rod is obtainable on EBay and brings a lot of interest. I made up my mind that if I ever saw one for sale at an auction or garage sale that I would go for it. Well it happened at an auction. I paid $150 - a lot I guess for 40 year old rod but it is perfect, never used, probably never reeled. Talk about serendipity. I will use it as my small stream brookie rod but I wonder whether a five weight line is overkill and will scare the fish to the next county. Anyone else use a five weight for small stream fishing?

InCahoots wrote:
One of my first fly rods was an Orvis graphite Far and Fine, 7'9" for a 5 wt. Not knowing any better, I traded it in around 1980 for a 9' Sage (a broomstick but that's another story). I know the rod is obtainable on EBay and brings a lot of interest. I made up my mind that if I ever saw one for sale at an auction or garage sale that I would go for it. Well it happened at an auction. I paid $150 - a lot I guess for 40 year old rod but it is perfect, never used, probably never reeled. Talk about serendipity. I will use it as my small stream brookie rod but I wonder whether a five weight line is overkill and will scare the fish to the next county. Anyone else use a five weight for small stream fishing?

Several people I've fished with have used that rod for small forested freestone fishing. It worked very well for them.

I've often used an 8 1/2 ft, 5 wt. on freestone streams such as Slate and Cedar Run, Young Womans Creek, Cross Fork, and other streams of similar size.

A 5 wt is not overkill for fishing small streams.

Back