Old Automatic Reels

streamerguy

streamerguy

Yesterday I was over my grandparents house and my grandpa gave me these two automatic fly reels, both in great shape and he never really used them much. He also wanted asked me to look them up to see if they are worth anything. Definitely antiques.

The first one is a Pflueger Superex No. 775

The second a Shakespeare Tru-art

What do you guys know about them?

Attachments

• P1090002.JPG
    P1090002.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P1090003.JPG
    P1090003.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P1090004.JPG
    P1090004.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 5
  • P1090005.JPG
    P1090005.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 6
Worth anything? Yes.

Worth much? No.

I you got $15 or $20 for each that would probably be a good haul.

I have a ?, how do you take the line off the automatic reels? On the Pflueger there was a lever that would let me strip out line without it winding up the spring inside, but on the Shakespeare there isn't and the more line I take out the more tension there is, and I don't want to break the reel.

Hello from Australia,
Your Shakespeare automatic reel looks very similar to my Southbend that I bought on Ebay last year. In the middle of the right hand side of the Southbend, there's a smaller cap. If you turn this clockwise, the larger cover will turn anti-clockwise and unwind the spring. I've bought three auto reels over the last year--the Southbend, a Perrine and a Heddon. I use them all and ignore the odd looks they get as auto reels never took off in Australia. They are great fun to use, especially in small creeks.
Cheers,
Steve.

I have several left to me by my Dad , my Pap and uncle , don't use them but have often wondered if they were worth anything , thought maybe i could work a trade r sumpin. As a side My Pap used his , a Perrine on a beautiful Montaigne sp? 3 piece bamboo , he uswually fished bait on the end (red worms or minnows) with two droppers which were flies. Fishing down and across , the bait would drag in the current while with a little manipulation the flies would dance around on the surface , deadly method , especially with strung minnows , gave the appearance that the minnow was chasing the insects. That rod i would bet has caught over 1000 trout and it's still a beautiful piece of art , so are the reels , which i don't think anyone makes anymore. This was a cool subject and a cool post.

osprey--Why not give those automatic reels a try? Some can be a little heavy compared to modern reels and line capacity is usually just the line and a little backing but they are good fun to use. I often use mine when fishing small creeks. I like the way that I can strip a little line, cast, adjust the cast for length with my little pinky then fish one handed through a pool or run. I might try your Pap's technique of a worm on the bottom hook and a fly on a dropper. I fly fish but see nothing wrong in drifting a single worm through a run or pool. It's all fishing and all fun.
Cheers,
Steve.

My dad is just getting into fly fishing and picked up and automatic. I have a pfleuger automatic that i used when i baitfished. It was nice in my "transition period" I would keep it in the vest with all mono on it and drift minnies. Works awsome for that. I never tried it with fly line but i will be giving my dads a try soon.

Back