Okuma reels

BPS

BPS

What are everyones opinions?

I own two. The first one I bought about 3 years ago. Its a 7/8 wt airflo (or aircell maybe? Idk). Anyways, I've put it thru the gauntlet on kings/coho/steel/bass/stripers/carp and even channel cats.
That's what prompted me to buy a new 5 wt SLVn when my st croix finally succumbed to my abuse,neglect and, misuse. Can't wait to get it out there. I know a 12 dollar martin will do the job, but anyone own this reel wanna give me some feedback? Would the drag hold up to a fresh steelhead? Should I find a backup and keep in my vest? Lol. Anyone deal with their customer service/warranty dept.? How are they? Like I said I've owned my AIRFLO for years without issues,so I never had to deal with them.
Thanks,

Brian

Iirc okuma has been rumoured to produce for others including Cabelas.

Just coz it's low price doesn't mean it's cheap.

I've never used the Airflow or SLV, but I pretty much use Okuma reels exclusively.

I own (2) 8/9wt Okuma Integrity reels that I've had for over 6 years. I've used them for steelhead & bass without any problems at all. The drag works great & the reels are awesome.

On my trout setups I have an Okuma Sierra 4/5 & an Okuma Sierra 5/6. I haven't fished them as hard, but they're still treating me well.

In any case, I don't think you'll have any problem with the SLV when you're going after steelies. Best of luck!

I got a 10/11 on my spey and love it. It's hard to get use to the lack of a clicker thought.

BPS,

I actually had a number of Okuma SLV reels (like 4). I've been retiring them because of their achiles heel. They are made of cast aluminum and they are brittle. They break if you drop them from waist height. I've had 3 of them let me down. Other than this flaw, they are a great lightweight reel with a good drag.

Albatross,

That's what finally did my St. Croix in. Dropped it on the blacktop getting it out of my car.

I have 7/8 Okuma Integrity I bought from Gander Mtn. in Harrisburg for my 7 weight bass rod. Dave at Gander recomended the Okuma's, said that he used them.

When I went back to pick one up the kid that was working that day dropped the spool on the floor while lining it. I gave him a look of disaproval, it was the last one there so I walked out with it.

Took it home there was an ever so slight bent inner rim on the spool from it being dropped on the concrete floor, so I straightened it with a pair of pliers and a paper towel. No biggie, it straightened out all right. It is a good reel with an excellent drag, I've taken a few spills with it and banged it on a few river rocks, it works great but it sure has character.

Attachments

• Okuma Integrity.JPG
    Okuma Integrity.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 3
i have 2 okumas i have an slv which is on my back up 6 weight for steelies and i had a sierra also was on that same 6 wt rod i havent had to use the slv for steel yet but i had used the sierra and with no problems with either of them

Okuma's are very nice. I know a lot of people that use Okuma'a and love them. I almost got one but decided on an Allen. Overall great reels. 9 out of 10.

However, I saw one of the funniest things ever happen to my friend while he was using an Okuma! He had a tendency of hitting the spool release when stripping line out. One time he hit the spool release and the spool went tumbling down the river. He ended up having to pull all the line and backing out of the river as it unraveled from the spool until it eventually got to the arbor knot.

I'm usually pretty forgiving of equipment but I had a brand new Okuma (I think it was the 9/10WT) fail during the middle of a striper blitz at Montauk. I was standing on a rock with bass splashing all around me. The clicker failed and the spool when into free spool. Needless to say, I wasn't happy - had to hike all the way back up to my car at the lighthouse and get the old trusty and rusty Pflueger, which of course, worked fine. I sent the reel back to the company, they returned the same reel and the problem still occurs on occasion. That was nine years ago and I still use the reel but have never been entirely confident with it.

Wsender, I did that one time with a Fresh Coho on. The spoll dropped out and got spooled in like 12 seconds. I almost broke my rod and everything. What a mess. That was on an old cortland reel and the reason I bought my first okuma, for some reason I'd occasionally hit that spool release on the cortland reel.

Fishidiot wrote:
I'm usually pretty forgiving of equipment but I had a brand new Okuma (I think it was the 9/10WT) fail during the middle of a striper blitz at Montauk. I was standing on a rock with bass splashing all around me. The clicker failed and the spool when into free spool. Needless to say, I wasn't happy - had to hike all the way back up to my car at the lighthouse and get the old trusty and rusty Pflueger, which of course, worked fine. I sent the reel back to the company, they returned the same reel and the problem still occurs on occasion. That was nine years ago and I still use the reel but have never been entirely confident with it.

Free spool is the worse. Not quite sure about the construction of that Okuma, but usually when it free spools the clutch bearing kicked. I usually order a few clutch bearing for a reel when I buy a new one and throw them in my vest. They're cheap, easy to change, and a generally the root of the problem.

wsender- I read your posts and Imagine your avatar speaking them in an uppity british accent. Imagine that and Read your last post. haha! Ok I really need to get some sleep.

BPS, I have a 5/6 wt SLV and love it. It's been my go to reel for years. The drag has never failed me and always seems to do the job. I've caught everything from smallies in the susquehanna to giant bows. It's also taken its fair share of abuse. Great reel in my opinion.

BPS wrote:
wsender- I read your posts and Imagine your avatar speaking them in an uppity british accent. Imagine that and Read your last post. haha! Ok I really need to get some sleep.

Descartes was French!

I think it's about time to change the avatar. I'm thinking angry Trey again.

wsender wrote:
Descartes was French!

Oh, that's who that was...all this time I thought it was Sherman Helmsly in a wig.
george_jefferson1.jpg

i have a 3 wt sierra, a 4/5 SLV and a 5/6 Sanibel and have had no problems with any of them, i really like them, the sierra is alittle cheaper but still gets the job done, the SLV ive abused for over a year now and its still smooth as ever and i just bought the Sanibel and it is awesome... i think you'll like it you should have no problem with a steelier the drag is very good... hope this helps

Back