Ok, which of you "gemmie heads" got to this guy?

Ziplock full of butter, half and half, and one whole lemon worth of juice, and tons of pepper and add bread crumbs😗

My martha stewart style invasive fish cook book to hit stores soon

Hope you have a chapter or two on how to cook Snakehead, you do know that they are very invasive also.

For all you doomsday cult members just keep in mind the resilient Brown Trout and also the Rainbow will happily thrive in tailwaters which I assume will still be around in 100 years.
Your doomsday not mine, for me its just watching next aquarium owner or angler who doesn’t give two craps about you favorite invasive species cause they want theirs.

Brook trout live in Georgia now, so I think they will still be in PA a long time into the future.

Springs in the mountains of northcentral PA currently have water temperatures of 48F. It would take a great deal of warming to make these streams unsuitable for brook trout.

Your doomsday not mine, for me its just watching next aquarium owner or angler who doesn’t give two craps about you favorite invasive species cause they want theirs.
When does your Smallmouth Bass eradication plan start for the Susquehanna River?

I hate to be pedantic, but wouldn't snakehead technically be "introduced" in all the watersheds I put them i....

Nevermind.

lol the video did not even mention brook trout……that came from completely inside of you because he mentioned brown trout. At least when someone says brown trout are a trash fish you have been operantly conditioned to mention one of the reasons why they are viewed as such. Progress caddisflyer.
Actually, watch it again at the 37 second mark.

Don’t worry, in 100 years (and probably much earlier than that), most of our waters will be far too warm to support any coldwater fish species. There probably will be some waters that hold on, but those will surely not be open to the public and your great-grandchildren won’t be allowed anywhere near that water.
Hardly. That’s an underestimation of the power of shade. For example, in the midst of climate change some streams have been getting cooler in SE Pa, the warmest area of the state, and brown trout populations have been expanding longitudinally while maintaining their own or even improving where they were already established. I have reported some specific examples here over the years.

I also agree with troutbert’s comment in #24.

Last edited:
Brook trout live in Georgia now, so I think they will still be in PA a long time into the future.

Springs in the mountains of northcentral PA currently have water temperatures of 48F. It would take a great deal of warming to make these streams unsuitable for brook trout.
So if they lose 99.98% of their habitat and range to environmental or biotic issues, as long as they exist somewhere, everything is fine?

As long as there is some token population left in some mountain trickle somewhere there's no point in even worrying about them. That's pretty much what I suspect the position of the PFBC is too.

Hey, you're the one who made it "tackle shop knuckleheads" versus enlightened conservationists. Enjoy the snakehead coming home to roost in upper Kettle.
Wow I’m pretty all-powerful these days. I am alone responsible for a bunch of people refusing to accept facts that make them uncomfortable. Did i destroy La la land?

It took one or two of his videos to determine they weren't for me. He gets lots of clicks but usually abrasive personalities generate attention.
Are brown trout " trash fish"? What is a " trash fish"? Merriam Webster defines trash fish as 1- Rough Fish 2-a usually marine fish having no market valueas human food but sometimes used in production of fish meal. Rough Fish is defined as: a usually freshwater fish(such as Buffalo or freshwater drum)considered undesirable as a food or sport fish and often viewed as a competitor of more desirable fishes.
I didn't see any mention of invasive or native being criteria to fit the definition. I could see how some could view it a trash fish because it is a competitor to other freshwater species some deem more desirable.
Ziplock full of butter, half and half, and one whole lemon worth of juice, and tons of pepper and add bread crumbs😗

My martha stewart style invasive fish cook book to hit stores soon
Sounds like a desirable dish not a trash fish.

It took one or two of his videos to determine they weren't for me. He gets lots of clicks but usually abrasive personalities generate attention.
Are brown trout " trash fish"? What is a " trash fish"? Merriam Webster defines trash fish as 1- Rough Fish 2-a usually marine fish having no market valueas human food but sometimes used in production of fish meal. Rough Fish is defined as: a usually freshwater fish(such as Buffalo or freshwater drum)considered undesirable as a food or sport fish and often viewed as a competitor of more desirable fishes.
I didn't see any mention of invasive or native being criteria to fit the definition. I could see how some could view it a trash fish because it is a competitor to other freshwater species some deem more desirable.
I think his point was really that they're overrated. Something I agree with. Ben has always liked fishing for whatever (fresh and salt), and has never got caught up in the fever over popular sportfish. To the point where I think he has some animosity toward them.

I think it's also important to realize that his whole schtick is making fun of anglers that take things too seriously.

I know a few people who got "brown trout burnout" from all the social media attention they get. These guys used to chase big browns religiously and realized after a while that 1) they're not rare, 2) they're not that hard to catch, and 3) everybody and their brother blindly talk about them like they're some mythical creature.

So if they lose 99.98% of their habitat and range to environmental or biotic issues, as long as they exist somewhere, everything is fine?

As long as there is some token population left in some mountain trickle somewhere there's no point in even worrying about them. That's pretty much what I suspect the position of the PFBC is too.
I don't think TB is saying that at all. There seems to be a lot of chicken little stuff (sky is falling) going on here about the survival of trout in PA. Not just brook trout, but trout in general. Since I have gotten older, I usually just ignore it as just more scare tactics.

Now... you know I am a brook trout fan at least in the Eastern part of the country, so please don't take what I said and twist it around to the extreme.

Oh hell, go ahead. ;)

Untitled 2

Hey, you're the one who made it "tackle shop knuckleheads" versus enlightened conservationists. Enjoy the snakehead coming home to roost in upper Kettle.
FS does point out some interesting things, mainly the schism between anglers that are concerned with how good the fishery is in terms of fish caught and said sizes of fish caught versus true conversation. These two can't exist together unless said species targeted by the anglers is beneficial (in terms of its environmental impact) to the specific watershed. Sometimes he can be pedantic and long-winded (can't we all? I know I sure can!) but his arguments are sound and factually based and he states his sources. If people get riled up because of that it is personal problem and/or their views aren't aligned with true conservation. I'm glad we have a whistle blower. Keep up the good fight @Fish Sticks !

FS does point out some interesting things, mainly the schism between anglers that are concerned with how good the fishery is in terms of fish caught and said sizes of fish caught versus true conversation. These two can't exist together unless said species targeted by the anglers is beneficial (in terms of its environmental impact) to the specific watershed. Sometimes he can be pedantic and long-winded (can't we all? I know I sure can!) but his arguments are sound and factually based and he states his sources. If people get riled up because of that it is personal problem and/or their views aren't aligned with true conservation. I'm glad we have a whistle blower. Keep up the good fight @Fish Sticks !
Look at how riled up some folks got over some dude in Idaho saying he thinks brown trout are overrated. Or the folks who lost their minds at the idea of some brown trout going for a truck ride to be liberated from the confines of Bells Gap Run into the Little Juniata.

The gemmie heads who match that energy for brook trout conservation are zealots and pariahs.

Yea your right. I think Ben was less going for the true definition of trash fish but more using the designation to illustrate the difference between reality and perception of the fish by anglers. If you go in fly shops, read blogs, podcasts their talked about like David Attenborough talks about endangered species but in reality they have spread farther and wider than genital herpes and as mike mentioned still expanding and all we do is worry about them and their numbers. They have yet to make it to Antarctica (i’m sure some “conservation” project in works to ship them there), but their on every other continent. Bens just pointing out that its odd we don’t value ferral cats, lantern flies or other invasive species to that degree and put them on a pedestal. He is also pointing out the value of native fish. The other fish he mentions as rough fish are often talked about in a positive light and points out their under appreciated, again the contrast.

Back