Ohiopyle

T

Tseg17

Hello, has anyone fished the side of the Yough where Wilderness Voyagers is located and head upstream. Asking if parking would be ok at the LHHT trail head and how accessible is the walk up the train tracks. Thanks

why not just walk the trail they have that goes up to confluence or did you wanna fish the other side

why not just walk the trail they have that goes up to confluence or did you wanna fish the other side
Yes I've fished the entire river from Ohiopyle up to Ramcat. Looking to try the other side of the river.

If you have a four wheel drive, you can access that area by driving down rock spring road. It will put you about 2 miles upstream of Ohiopyle. I have fished it a few times, caught a few, saw a rattlesnake. The mouth of rockspring has some native brookies. Be forwarned, it is a rough road, and I would take a chainsaw along in case a tree falls across the road.

If you have a four wheel drive, you can access that area by driving down rock spring road. It will put you about 2 miles upstream of Ohiopyle. I have fished it a few times, caught a few, saw a rattlesnake. The mouth of rockspring has some native brookies. Be forwarned, it is a rough road, and I would take a chainsaw along in case a tree falls across the road.
Haha ok sounds adventurous thanks. Since you mentioned brookies, I caught a few out of an unnamed blue line dumping in to the Yough on the other side about 2 miles up from Ohiopyle.

I tried to drive down rock spring road once a few years ago.
Got half way down, and found the road blocked by a downed tree.
And had to back up a ways to turn around.

There is another road that take you down to Bidwell station, called Lick run road.
And I went down it and fished the large pool in that section that day

I've biked and fished the whole river between Ohiopyle and Connellsville
And really think that the best way to access it is from the trail side.
The RR track side seems deeper in most spots, making it tough to wade out any distance

The Yough (between Ramcat & Ohiopyle) is like grouse huntin' without a dog. Ya just can't kick every bush pile. The water always looks better 10 feet past your casting range. It's a great stretch of water.

How does the middle Yough fish this time of year? I saw some Insta posts by a guide saying it is still going strong.

I've tried this in a Honda Accord once. Needless to say I had to turn around.

I've tried this in a Honda Accord once. Needless to say I had to turn around.
I drove down there in a Civic many years ago. But I only did this once. The road was rough.

For what it's worth, a Civic is better on rough roads than an Accord. (I drove Civics for many years and now have an Accord.) The ground clearance is probably about the same, but a Civic has a shorter wheelbase, so it's easier to maneuver around the rough spots than a mid-size car.

How does the middle Yough fish this time of year? I saw some Insta posts by a guide saying it is still going strong.
I've never tried it this late in the year.
But have heard that the section right below the dam, stays ice free all winter.

Out of curiosity, I just checked temps on the USGS site.
Water right below the dam is 47
9 miles downstream at Ohiopyle, its 34.
I know where I'd fish

Back