Ohio steelheads in Spring

W

Wmass

I am heading to the Cleveland area in mid/late April and was wondering if I should bother trying to fish. When do the streams shut down for Spring? I was planning on fishing the Chagrin and Rocky Rivers.

If it is a relatively cool spring, it still should be pretty good. Both would be good choices.

Hopefully Patrick will notice this and respond. He's the man.

If this year is similar to last year with the cold/wet spring, that should be prime time. There will still be fresh fish as well as hungry dropbacks. Definitely get out and fish!!!

I am looking at Slamon river NY the first week of March. I know right now it is real quiet.

I either slam them or they slam me!

Last year Lake Superior steelheads were still fresh running until the last week of May.

Given the similar ice packs this year, you should be okay unless rainstorms blow out the rivers.

We have fish into May most years. I have only experienced a few very warm Springs were the steelhead were gone by the end of April. AND, remember, the lake run small mouth bass start coming in mid-April. So you'll be fishing for steelhead and have a chance at a 5lb smallie about every cast. Mid April is a nice time to be on the Rocky or Chagrin either one.

Back