Ohio Steelhead Rivers --The Chagrin and Rocky River

I got to fish both the Chagrin and the Rocky River on my trip. Thursday on the Chagrin was cold and windy. Got one hook up but it snapped me off. Had several other hits on a crystal bugger but that was it in four hours. I found a pool on the Rocky River today with about one hundred fish. Guy next to me got one. I hooked up three times but got broken off each time. Fish were super finicky. A lot of fun and great weather.

Hey at least ya got to hook into a few! Glad you enjoyed it.....and yeah great weather to be out fishin today.

I wonder why they all broke you off. What size tippet do you use??

streamerguy wrote:
Hey at least ya got to hook into a few! Glad you enjoyed it.....and yeah great weather to be out fishin today.

I wonder why they all broke you off. What size tippet do you use??

Yah, I honeslty don't know why I kept breaking offf, but I have an idea. I was using 3x tippet tied on to the the tippet section of another 3x leader. The tippet material I was using looks suspect after examining it. Looks like it is a lot thinner than 3x.

I threw everything at these guys over two days. Even threw them some big streamers and they weren't having it.

That one hole was pretty impressive to see. I have seen fish hear and there but to see them stacked like that was cool. Water was clear enough to see the hens making reds and the males were jockeying for position.

Hmm. Yeah ya might want to swap out that tippet. I use 3x most of the time and very rarely have issues with break offs unless a fish tries to wrap me around some wood, etc. I use 2x as well sometimes......but never go lighter than 3x. Some people do though when the water is stupid low and clear early in the fall. Just can't force them in when they wanna run.

And cool. I saw a lot of spawners out yesterday too. Didn't bother messing with them........had fun playing with the fish in the downstream areas. Hungry fish feeding on the eggs and whatnot and even fresh fish still in the mix.

Hit the Grand today and had some action with egg patterns.Went 5 for 12 and lost a huge screamer in the mix.

Nice!!! I hear the Grand is fishing really good. Stinks you weren't able to land the big one......those are the fish that keep you coming back.

I was actually thinking about fishing it yesterday but my brother and I decided on fishing another trib instead. The fishing was awesome where we went but one of these days I reeeaaalllly need to explore the Grand. It's always blown out and the rare weekend it's fishable we decide to head elsewhere hahaha.

The Grand was absolutely on fire yesterday. Fished two different access points and both were loaded up with both dropbacks and fresh fish. 2 fish brought me into the backing which hasn't seen daylight in years. Can't even count the number of fish landed/hooked/lost. It was nonstop all day. Fished mostly streamers and egg patterns with the majority of the the fish coming on streamers.

You guys are killing me.... I am starting to wonder why I moved from Ohio. I may have to start making more visits to see the mother-in-law during the fall and spring runs.

Good stuff!!

stal42 wrote:
It was nonstop all day. Fished mostly streamers and egg patterns with the majority of the the fish coming on streamers.

I noticed the same thing on Sunday. Still a whole bunch of fish on eggs but the majority ate streamers. And one of the pools where I had the best action was downstream of a few spawners.....and they still chose streamers over eggs for the most part.

Wmass wrote:
You guys are killing me.... I am starting to wonder why I moved from Ohio.

Meh. Other than steelhead Ohio is a trout desert, and in my opinion PA is better for other species as well.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. There is some pretty good carp fishing in Ohio, and don't forget about warmouths. :p

You guys are killing me, but keep it up.

Stal were you on upper lower or middle grand? Being forced into Cleveland for a convention this weekend and early next week and thinking about taking a run over there one evening

I honestly don't know what's considered upper vs middle vs lower, so I'll shoot PM. Good luck!

Back