Offshore Fly Fishing, Jupiter, Florida: 07/18/2011

3wt7X

3wt7X

I took my second offshore fly fishing trip, on Monday of last week. My cousin and I went out with Scott Hamilton of Fly fishing extremes charters again this year, and he worked really hard once again for us. Instead of departing from Palm beach inlet, this year we went out of Jupiter, because of a threatening storm to the south. The day started out by castnetting live bait again this year, and we live chummed for False Albacore all day. The fishing was slower this year than last because we had no current to keep the fish with the boat. We would get quickly ambushed by the school and they would disappear just as fast as they came. Regardless, my cousin and I both landed several very nice False Albacore and a few blue runners that came up with the schools of Albies.
On the way back to the ramp, Captain Scott gave me the opportunity to catch my first snook. On the second or third cast, in the intercoastal waterway, I stuck a little 17 inch snook. For being a little guy, he put up a nice fight and a decent arial display. Here are some pictures of the trip.

Attachments

• Albie1.jpg
    Albie1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Albie2.jpg
    Albie2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Albie3.jpg
    Albie3.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 5
Here are a few more pics of the trip...including the big storm that we avoided, first thing in the morning, a neat bird that I saw at the docks, a nice rainbow picture, and my little snook.

Attachments

• Albie7.jpg
    Albie7.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Albie4.jpg
    Albie4.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Albie5.jpg
    Albie5.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Albie8.jpg
    Albie8.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Albie6.jpg
    Albie6.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 8
Wow....looks like a great trip!

I use to live in southwest Florida an man do I miss saltwater fly fishing so much:(

I dig that little stripey line down the side of those fish.

3wt,

love the pictures. it was probably cooler in Florida than here in PA. I really like the shot of the Heron (Green?) and the Snook. Snook is very high up on my life list. Looks like it was a great trip.

gfen wrote:
I dig that little stripey line down the side of those fish.

As do I. I am a very visual person and love the colors and patterns of fish. This might be why I try to take many pictures of fish I catch. Love to go back and look at colors and patterns of past fish.

looked like a great trip! One day I will get my new Scott rod out on the open ocean. BTW, Is that a Reddington rod?

Thanks for the comments guys...the trip was a blast!!! Those albies are amazing looking fish in the water, and I really like to designs on them as well. It was cool, cause last year, we fished out deep and the albies we caught were really blue. This year, we were closer to the beach, and they were really green.

Turkey,
I am not sure if that was a Green Heron...I'd have to do some research, but it let me get pretty close, to get that picture.

SBecker,
Yes, that was a Redington rod that we were using on the Albies, I found it kinda ackward to cast with the dual handles, but I got the hang of it after a couple hours. The rod that I used for the snook was a Scott, and it was probably the best feeling big rod that I've ever thrown.

What wt. Cpx?

yep a green heron and looks like a 10 wt. nothin like catchin some fat alberts, what fly were you using ?

I was using the Captain's equipment, so I am not totally certain on the wt. of the CPX, but I know it was a 10wt or bigger. We were catching them on a small baitfish imitation fly called the "EatMe" fly, which the Captain came up with. He sent me home with a few of them to try out in freshwater.

Awweesooome!
Nice job Josh. Some very nice fat alberts and congrats on the snook.

Back