odd color tying materials

tom,
his link gives php errors at first, but it eventually loads. you have to scroll down a bit.

As far as that fly, ryguy... I don't think I could tie it. The whole point of using herl and throats on these flies is to give a durable, easy to tie leg imitation. The fly that tom links to looks much more like the ones that i'd try to tie.

Jay's right, ryguy. Very few people tie flys like the one in your link. They are more for display than for fishing. Flies like the one in Tomgamber's link are what most of us tie and use.

Thanks alot guys. I tied a caddis larva the other night that turned out pretty decent... think i needed a little more light dubbing for the middle but not half bad. Yeah I was curious about that nymph i posted. Seems like too much effort to me to have it stuck in the nearest tree. Especially for being a novice tier. Going back to my original post, I dyed some of the goose biot black to tie some stonefly nymphs and they were ok. and used some of the bright colors I got to tie some midges and buggers. Almost February... getting closer to opening day!

I went fishing 7 or 8 times in january. I caught everything from fat browns to 3 inch long brookies.

In other words, why wait until opening day!?!

Take some of your buggers, nymphs, and midges to a stream and give em a try now! You'll probably have the best water to yourself...

Good luck :)

Newly married, starting a new job and not having much success, living in western pa and not having many trout streams locally and the snowfall in the past week have deterred my fishing... However when the weather breaks a bit I plan on hitting a stream with some naturals in it about 45 min away. Thanks for the insight though... i'm ready to try some new spots this year! 20"+ fish is my goal this year!

Good for you. I think I may take my college student with no real responsibility status for granted occasionally.

Regardless, good luck with the 20". It took me a few years to reach that goal around here (too poor to travel to places where they are abuntant). Got him last spring on a red san juan worm.... was a stocker but I don't care... He was getting pounded by fisherman for hours before I managed to succeed. It felt good.

My goal's a 20"+ fish on a dry fly.... though I love fishing so much that I wouldn't mind if I never meet it. (I will though, damnit!). I've hooked a few that might have gone 20"+ but lost them well into the backing.

BTW I started tying that peeking caddis pattern esecially for winter fishing. I do better with that pattern in the late winter and very early spring than any other.

Back