October Pocono flies

P

PaulItaliano

I am planning to spend several (non-consecutive) days fishing in the Poconos throughout Oct and into early November.

Looking at hitting a bunch of different well-known streams and scouting a few others.

What flies should be in my box? I have the basics covered pretty well, but want to make sure I am not missing anything.

thank you

Paul-

I'd have the following in my box for your trip:
#14 Yellow Stimulators
#12-14 Hi-Viz Foam Beetles
#16-22 BWO's
#20-24 Midges
#12-16 Gold Sucker Spawn and/or Egg Patterns
Moto Minnow, Shenk's White Minnow, BH WB, Zonkers

Send me a pm with the streams you plan on hitting up and I can give you some information.

You got a good pattern base there.

Pending on if you plan on fishing a bigger watershed you may need more specific patterns. Small ones, not so much.

Where do you plan on staying? I'm pretty familiar with the Poconos pending on where, I could have better advice.

I would take Out4trouts offer too.

PM sent, thank you for taking the time!

I took off every Friday in Oct and a few in November. I plan on fishing the Hickory run area first I can do that in day trips. November I will check out some areas east of there.

Again thanks for the info everyone, will certainly help.

Rubberleg stoneflies, small pheasant tails 16-18, eggs in 18-20. May see some small bwo in 18-22.

Like fisherboy, I use big point flies like stones or jigged pt. Small droppers in size 18 are deadly, I am partial to caddis imitations, but in the bigger creeks, you will need the weight to get them down, and the stoneflies always get some love. Flows are high even if the water is clear. It is more like late spring fishing then fall fishing right now.

October Caddis in # 12 and 14, royal wulff # 12 Gold Ribbed hares ear and pheasant tail # 14. An assortment of # 8 streamers, black buggers and a few mickey fins.
Don't ignore baetis they're out there pretty much all year. Terrestrials will work, but ants are something I stay away from on brookie streams, because the brookies swallow them and they are nearly impossible to get out.

Thanks, everyone, your advice lead to a GREAT weekend. we caught a bunch of brook trout and a couple brown trout. most the brook trout were small but we got a few that were 9"+ range.

had a great day on Friday thanks to Out4Trout, your advice was spot on!

Glad to help, give me a shout anytime you are up this way.

Back