Ocean City NJ fly fishing.

gfen

gfen

Well, its been a week of major fishing..Not too good a turn out, but I had alot of fun.

Still, I got my bearings and learned some stuff, I figure next year should be much more productive.

3846007949_6de813c3be.jpg

First, thanks for the tip on Corson's Inlet, before. Specifically, from the boat launch, to the left and then to teh first grass tufts the locals call the "oyster bed." Best bet is to do that late at night, in darkness. Wish I knew that before the last night I was there.

Its also easy to fish the bridge lights from the launch dock, which I also figured out on the last night. Several herring were the prize for that.

As for surf fishing, zip. The bait shop guy said the fishing was terrible this year, and I believe him. Sum total there were a handful of snapper blues, and the latter few days the surf was crushing from the encroaching hurricanes.

3846008081_d6177012af.jpg

As for my charter trip... I actaully felt bad for the captain, it was brutal. Almost nothing, from what I know about fishing this kind of water, I was in all good spots, but there was just nothing there. No one, including him, was able to bring in more than a couple of fish. We got lucky at the end, when the tide was rushing out under a bridge in the lights. A mess of 12-14" blues (I bet they'd be a blast on a real light rod), and a couple of stripers.... I'm amazed at what a fight even a 20" striper can put into a 10wt rod!

3846008015_2533e7519d.jpg

Nothing like having a callous on your hand from casting so damned much all week. After Monday's charter, it was just a blister, by the end of the week it was a full on callous... That's a vacation!

Oh well, I was mostly bested this year. Next year, though, its on.

NICE !!!!!! I'm jealous. I have yet to catch a saltwater fish on my fly rod yet . I feel your pain with the blister I had two of them on my right pointer finger from striping in line from catching so many smallies on the NB :pint:

Nice report. I'm in the OBX right now and have been skunked thus far in my inaugural saltwater flyfishing venture. Hope to get out a few more times by the end of the week with some landed fish and pics as well!

Saltwater is definitely different than freshwater/trout fishing, but it's a nice break... I could get into saltwater flyfishing at least a couple times a year. The only 'inconvenience' I find is cleaning my gear with warm, soapy water after every outing.

Well Gfen you did better at OC NJ than I at OC MD. Didn’t even take the fly rod and ended up worm chucking from the piers. Got some flounder, Spot, Croaker, blow fish, and horseshoe crabs was sorta’ like fishing for sun fish when I was a kid but at least it was fishing.
I like the first Pic and think I know about where you were fishing
those sunsets were pretty.

Didn’t like OC MD and will be heading back to NJ next year, maybe we can hook up.
Buffalo

I think I'm hooked on saltwater fly fishing, I like that you never really know what you're going to catch (if there wasn't a guy standing next to me when I started bringing in herring, I'd have never known what they were).

Its a real blast, but I definatly need to go back out at a time when the fish are around... I could do with less searching endlessly for fish.

I'm pretty sure next year the surf rod stays back at the house except when the family drags me to the actual beach. Fishing with bait honestly bores the hell out of me.

postscript: Learn this lesson... You have no idea just how many insects will descend on your delicious uncovered flesh from those tidal bogs. No. Idea.

My legs are painted in calomine lotion right now, and I'm suffering like you can't imagine while abusing my wife's perscription antihistimine cough syrup. I have bug bites, literally, on top of bug bites. This is after a 25% DEET bug killer was sprayed liberally over my exposed flesh.

When I stood on the boat launch my last night there, and met a man called Chicky, I had a conversation about salt water fishing. At one point he said he had to go "suit up," and left me to my fly fishing. Five minutes later, he returned in chest-high waders... I didn't know why at the time, but I realized now it was to defeat the bugs.

My next purchase for fishing is a pair of wading pants. I shall never endure this again. Never.

Nice pics. I would enjoy a trip like that, but unfortunately don't think I will do it this year.

The mosquitoes at the beach do get very bad. I smoke cigars and wear wading pants to keep them off. I always felt like a tool wearing waders at the beach in the summer. The winter is a different story.

The evening at the bighorn was the worst I have ever experienced. The air literally buzzed. I killed 15 -20 in the car as we were loading it up.

No repellent could stop them.

Glad you had a blast thanks for sharing where's the fly rod in the mouth pic. Jay didn't give us any of those on his trip either. See you guys Sunday.

littlelehigh wrote:
Glad you had a blast thanks for sharing where's the fly rod in the mouth pic.

I did everything I could to keep the salt and sand out of my mouth....

I can sympathize with your mosquito situation. I got bit up bad while walking back to fish the other day. All it took was 1/4 mile to and a 1/4 mile from and I'm paying the price! This was through clothing and all! The 'skeeters' are definitely one of the pitfalls of 'back bay' saltwater fishing :cry:

I agree with you 100% that not knowing what you're going to catch is pretty neat and searching for fish does suck! :lol:

Back