OBX This Week 8/10-11

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Gonna be in OBX this week if anyone else around here is vacationing there we could meet up and wet a line or our whistle.

I should have some time on Weds or Thursday. PM me if you you wanna get together.

Maurice,

I am heading down Saturday. I plan to fly fish the surf and sound. I waded in the sound last year and fished the surf. I caught flounder, blue, croaker, and a really cool ribbon fish with my spin surf rod. I am looking to work the fly rod this year. I will also fish the sound the sound a little deeper via a small boat. I will be around Rodanthe. Let me know what your fishing and what is working.
Cheers,

Today 8/11 I moseyed down to the Inlet per Codyms advice and picked up a few frozen shrimp to make things interesting. Turns out I didnt need the shrimp. Well I did because they caught me a few spots, croaker and I think puppy drum. But the interesting thing while fishing the rocks was when I put down the flyrod (yeah that did'nt produce a hit) to tend the spin rod my camera dropped out and went into the drink, suspended on a rock a foot under. Easy pick up, roll up my sleeves and reach in and Oh shist, there goes my keys, dropping down like a pinball machine. Easy enuff just gotta find them in the breakers. After 15 minutes of reaching into cracks and crevaces covered in sharp coral, numerous cuts and ended up wading in over my sack to reach down above my shoulders, I was able to get a finger on them and noodled them up from the depths. Boy if my old lady only knew how close we were from spending the last day of vacation getting keys made and dealing with taxis...see thats what happens when you buy bait.

Say no to bait!

Oh and to boot I learned that I had left her on the beach with a cooler full of Coronas and no church key. As I learned when texting if she needed anything when I was returning...What ever happened to the gals I used to know that could open a beer bottle with their teeth?

Fish pics ?

Sounds like an adventure! Glad it worked out

Some photos from trip.

Attachments

• OBX2016Bird in sun.jpg
    OBX2016Bird in sun.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 5
  • OBX2016Bridge.jpg
    OBX2016Bridge.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4
  • OBX2016Dingys.jpg
    OBX2016Dingys.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 4
  • OBX2016Double.jpg
    OBX2016Double.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 3
  • OBX2016dunes.jpg
    OBX2016dunes.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 4
  • OBX2016spot.jpg
    OBX2016spot.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3
  • OBX2016whatkindafish.jpg
    OBX2016whatkindafish.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 5
  • OBX20161.jpg
    OBX20161.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 5
Pee-pee fish.

M, sorry for your misfortune but happy you made recovery of sensitive items. My first act upon leaving the car is to loop my key LANYARD (yes you should) around a belt loop of my cargo shorts. You could also buy an orange or pink pool noodle from the dollar store and cut a hunk off to make a float for looping your LANYARD to. You can also put your waterproof camera on a LANYARD and loop it to a hunka pool noodle. I also use pool noodles for sound dampening on the crossbars of the Yakima rack. I've come up with these solutions based on similar experiences. Nice pix BTW - one of our potential retirement plans has us ending up in Manteo. Loved the OBX since 1973!

Yeah…glad you lived to tell the tale there…from the Mrs. I mean. Empty pockets when fishing in the surf is a good rule I think. My Dad always takes a spare set of keys with him on vacation to the beach or to the cabin...probably a good idea, but admittedly not one that I abide by.

Nice pics...The little black ones are Black Sea Bass. They remind me of a Green Sunfish. They can get into the upper teens size wise, and are VERY good eating, though you need a couple big ones to yield a decent meal. They’re basically mini Groupers. I only ever seem to catch dinks like the ones you got though.

What's the purplish fish in the first fish pic?

The one labeled "spot" is not a spot either, but I don't know what it is.

Swattie is right on the black fish being black sea bass. They will readily take small clousers if you can present it to them.

Love OBX, though won't claim to know much about the fishing there.

sarce wrote:
What's the purplish fish in the first fish pic?

The one labeled "spot" is not a spot either, but I don't know what it is.

It's a pinfish.
However, the purple spotted little fish on the right on the fourth pic down (next to the sea bass) is a mystery. I'd hazzard a guess its some form of grunt based on the coloration and body shape. Can't quite see the jaw shape in the pic, which would help to identify a grunt.
Hhmmm....

The one you refer to Dave I called a croaker because when unhooking it it was croaking up a storm. and I wasn't squeezing it either. It had a field of small deep red small spots the size of a pencil point all over its flank that didn't show up in the pics.

As you can see I don't know squat about surf fishing. or breaker fishing Fish IDs.

Maurice wrote:
The one you refer to Dave I called a croaker because when unhooking it it was croaking up a storm.

Sounds like a grunt (literally, hence the name). :)
Locals call 'em "pigfish" sometimes.

There are various and sundry grunts and many have stripes or other bright colors and patterns, but I can't recall ever seeing one like that.
Like croakers, spot, and pinfish, they're delicious to eat.

Looks like a grunt,aka pigfish to me. DaveW ,correct that's a pin fish. Both make prime Grouper bait. Mo, I hope you didn't find out why they are called pin fish. GG

Dems are pee pee fishes

Dat 2. GG

Pee-pee fishes? Thats a line my steelhead buddy uses for reg trouts.

Big trouts are for suckers

Back