Obx RIGHT NOW

T

thesmayway

My fellow PA fly fishers.... if you're at OBX this week get down to the surf at sun up. I had one of the best times I ever had with a fly rod this morning catching blues in the surf with my 8 wt. Threw clousers right in the wash and landed 10-15 from sun rise to 7:30. The action was awesome. Nothing huge, all 10-14 but they put a nice bend in the rod anyway. Definitely worth the early morning alarm.

And if you are here and want to make some money I'll buy clousers from you! I apparently didn't tie enough!

2016-08-22%2008.29.58_zpslkeetuja.jpg

Awesome congrats on the catch .

10-14lbs right ?

cool.

I love blues. throw a red and white slider (rapala style) at them and they kill it.

my favorite thing ever is to lock the drag before you cast and just let them go mental at close range.

sightcasting to them on the flats of Monomoy were a blast too - just loosen the drag and let them run.

the Yellow Eye Devils (YEDs) are evil evil fish and I love them.

ya 10-14# lol. No, these were like 10-14" no more than a couple pounds but pound for pound pull harder than anything else i've caught on a fly rod except for maybe snook. They're bulldogs and a ton of fun. Unfortunately timing them blitzing the surf isn't science and they weren't there this morning

@thesmayway - the tides might have switched up on you, maybe the blues were only there when early morning coincided with a certain tide stage. Awesome fish, btw.

Got into them thick again last night in low tide. Ended up walking 3 miles of beach between 2 access points looking for bait. Worked out pretty good! Trying again tonight

Awesome. We had trouble getting into them when we were down 6 weeks ago or so. Saw a few from a pier but not where we were fly fishing. Did land a needlefish and broke off on a big (drum?). Seems like the fishing down there is phenomenal right now, enjoy it!

Back