OBX going with what I've got

hbgbswanson

hbgbswanson

So, after obsessing for months, I think I'm ready. We'll see how it goes. I'll be up in the 4wd drive section above Corolla where they are catching some drum. I must admit the government shutdown and closing of the Oregon Inlet and Bodie Island visitor center has put a wrench in my plans and has me a bit discouraged.

Have my stripping basket & mainly have clousers & a rattle shrimp pattern going to try and tie a mole crab pattern and then I think I'm done.

Still a bit confused on leaders, but the advice I got was a 6-8ft tapered leader for the intermediate line, 4-6 ft straight mono with the sinking line. Just not sure from # test and the need for shock tippet.

I'd be welcome to any last minute advice!

try 20- 25lb straight mono for the sinking line. and to be honest, for the sake of simplicity, I would use that on that INT too. good luck.

was just down there for a week, it's not that good as is posted. small flies (bonefish type) orange/black clousers. 20 lb. mono is fine, I even used 12 lb. lots of pompano and spot along beaches. mullet is the surf also. there's lots of places to park along the road and fish the back areas along with the surf. unless its windy I used a 7 wt. other wise my 9wt on bad days. still havn't broke in my orvis T-3 8wt. i got 9 years ago. someday. drag the flies along the bottom too.

Thanks guys, regardless I'm excited surf fish every year...always wanted to bring a fly rod. I'm so far north the back bays are probably out id need a NC freshwater license and I hear that the fishery in currituck sound has declined.

I've got flounder out of the surf down there as well. Black/orange clousers always seemed to do the trick. Nothing of any size, but still fun from the surf. Too bad you're not further south because there are more wading opportunities around OI/Bodie Island. Regardless, I'd take some salt surf action over no action at all!

Back