OBX fly fishing

jifigz

jifigz

Okay folks I'll be in Corolla in about 2 weeks and I'll be staying for a week. This is definitely not my choice of a vacation but I have to do what others want. So, basically, I want to know the scoop on fishing the sound. Clousers, woolies, deceivers, and other basic streamers should get me by, right? And should I haul a canoe or kayak? What would the most common fish be? I hope for something edible as I'd like to keep a fish or two. I'm a big fan of red drum..anyways, tips and advice appreciated. Thanks

Take your yak. Get up in the morning and walk the beach the first day.
Look for activity just past the farthest breakers. Most mornings you can stay busy catching bluefish on clousers or deceivers. If you start catching small sharks, you're too deep.

In the sound i never had a ton of luck up Corolla way. If you the your own Clousers, use half as.much deer hair as you normally would. Sparse is the key. Olive over orange is a killer combo. Puppy Drum and Croaker is what I've been able to catch. Pay attention to the size.limits. It's a slot i believe. The small blues are completely edible. Not like oily Jersey blues. Drum is more delicate but if you get some it's delish.

If you're on the sound and you see fish rising like trout, do your best to ignore them. They're grass mullet and they're began and will just frustrate you.

Other than the morning blues, I mostly just spin the surf unless staying Avon or further south. Crabs on the sound are where it's at up north. Day tripping South to fish the sound is worth it. Oregon inlet. There should be up to date info on the web. I'll see if I can find you a link.

https://outerbanksthisweek.com/obxbaitandtackle/activity-reports/corolla-fish-report-158

Could be good if it doesn't warm up too quickly.

Here is a decent brief article.

https://www.rioproducts.com/learn/the-right-gear-for-summer-fishing-in-the-outer-banks

Awesome..I'll be sure to whip up a few clousers per your recommendation. Is there any risk to my normal 8 weight feel? I don't do the salt so I just want to make sure I'm not ruining my smallies/pike feel..

jifigz wrote:
Is there any risk to my normal 8 weight feel? I don't do the salt so I just want to make sure I'm not ruining my smallies/pike feel..

An 8WT is just right for summer on OBX.

Your experience with smallies will put you in good stead for schoolie blues and stripers. Very similar game. It's trout fishermen that often find that salt FFing is a strange feel and transition. Give your reel and gear a good washing in soapy water when you're done.

Good luck with your trip.

jifigz wrote:
Awesome..I'll be sure to whip up a few clousers per your recommendation. Is there any risk to my normal 8 weight feel? I don't do the salt so I just want to make sure I'm not ruining my smallies/pike feel..

I assume you mean "reel" and not "feel".

If your reel doesn't have a sealed drag, you may ruin it fishing in the salt. If it is sealed, just rinse it with fresh water right after you're done fishing in the salt. Take the spool off and clean the body and spool it off with a soft cloth and let it dry. Also run the line through a soft cloth to clean it along with your rod. You can put a little grease on the reel spindle and reassemble it after everything dries.

Good luck fishing.....post a report.

Regarding the rinsing of gear. Every time, not just the end of the week. Salt is brutal.

BTW...for a leader i just use about 5 or 6 feet of 20 lb mono. If get toothy or bigger blues you can go to 50 lb mono or they sell braided/coated wire in smallish spools.

If you find yourself getting completely skunked, get a pack of "fishbites" and put a small piece on the hook of the fly. It'll let you feel the feel. You should catch something doing this. Then you can take it off. It's like training wheels. ????

Thanks guys, and yes I meant reel. My phone autocorrected it to feel. I'm not sure if the reel is sealed or not. My go to bass or walleye reel is an L.L. Bean streamlight UL.

So I was reading that there used to be quite the largemouth fishery in and around the currituck sound and at one point it had collapsed. Has it recovered? I'm renting a kayak for the week down there and if I can get some nice largemouths that would be great. A combo of saltwater fishing and bassin' would be great.

Definitely hit up Oregon Inlet if you can, on the south side. I didn't fly fish it but caught flounder, blues, and red drum in spots that would have been fairly easy to fish with a fly. Close to low tide you can wade some sandy areas but be careful, inlets are dangerous places in general bc of the rapid changes in water level and strong currents.

Thanks for the tip, Sarce. I am going to stick to the upper Currituck Sound because it seems ideal. Lots of grassy cover, islands, shallow water with a max depth of less than 5 feet, and apparently a healthy mix of LMB, crappie, bluegills, and then saltwater species as well depending exactly where you are. Seems like a neat place to fish. I HATE flyfishing from a kayak, though. Especially one that I'm not used to. I'm hoping I can paddle around and find places to hop and and wade and then hop back in and paddle more.

I tied up my first OBX specific fly this morning. A black and orange clouser minnow on a size 2/0 4xl, 2x heavy hook.

jifigz,

Headed to Corolla (first time) at the end of the month-please let us know how you make out. Good luck!

jifigz,
Be aware of snakes if you're wading. Little-discussed secret of the backwaters of OBX is that there is healthy population of snakes in the grass. I had a nerve-wracking experience several years ago on the southern end of OBX (Bodie island) while wading the edges. More snakes than fish that day.

Back