NZ Mud Snails in Big Spring & Letort

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
New Zealand Mud Snails have been confirmed in Letort and Big Spring. Additional testing in the CV streams is ongoing.

Be aware of the best practices regarding footwear and gear and take the precautions.

Sorry to hear that, for sure. But I'm not surprised.
Been thinking all along that it's likely only a matter time until they get spread to other streams.
Just like didymo

I would reiterate that these critters are exceedingly small. You probably can’t see them on your boot if you are standing. They are small enough to hide under your boot laces or get stuck in narrow tread gaps if you have those.The best way to see them is by removing your boot and holding it close to your face for examination.

I realize they are an invasive species, but what type damage can we expect from them

According to PAFBC, NZ mud snails have also been found in the Little Lehigh, Jordan, Bushkill, Monocacy, and Saucon creeks.

CRB wrote:
I thought they were in Spring Creek about 15-20 years ago.

They have been in Spring Creek for "a while." I'm not sure how long, but probably over 10 years.

It's near Penn State and PFBC offices. I wonder if anyone has studied the impact.

Back