Nymphs?

171farm

171farm

I was looking through all of my old flies and realised I never used very many nymphs. My box consists of a lot of wolly boogers and some dries and thats about it.

What are some good nymphs to look into and size?

You can't go wrong with your generic hare's ears and pheasant tails. I like a little bit of flash in mine just to make them a bit different. I carry sizes 12-18, but usually fish a 14 or 16. I have a lot of different nymph patterns in my box, but I find myself having the most success on the same ones. I would look into these patterns:

Hares Ears and pheasant tails in different variations and sizes
Scuds (14, 16, 18)
Stone flies (All sizes)
Prince Nymphs and Zug Bugs (I like a 12 or 14)

These are a few of my favorites, or "go to" flies. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your go to nymph selection

Anyone else

Cant go wrong with some type of caddis larvae. I also use Walts Worm quite a bit. Im also a fan of the Zug Bug. Add these to the flies that Jrg26671 covered and you should be good to go.

Caddis...Caddis....Caddis. Tan or green caddis larvae 14-18 depending on conditions bead or no bead. Also the blue wing olive 14-18 larvae always good.

Its not reallly a nymph, but fished like one its deadly. Two words: Green Weenie... Any size.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. My wife sure is going to love when I tell her its time to buy some flies

PT's and hares ears in all colors with some colorful midge and caddis larva and you are set. Oh, and the ocassional stonefly nymph.

Ya wanna be different go with the surveyor, iron lotus, and the peeking caddis. Sometimes a fresh fly infront of stail fish can save the day.

Just a side note: any nymph you can buy or tie will catch fish.

I see these threads all the time and if i were to put myslef in the OP's shoes (in the beginner forum) I would be overwelmed. He ask for some nymph patterns and h'll get a hundred suggestions.

I think this will complicate the simple, "What flies are good?" question.

This is slightly overwhelming but more information is better than nothing. I have gotten a lot of information I atleast know where to start.

Please if you guys feel like giving more information its greatly welcome.

Thanks

If you don't nymph the key is weight. While flies come by the dozen if you can't sink them in the water that you fish you'll either let them skim across the top if you use too much weight you will lose them on the bottom. While I do not disagree with the choice of nymphs posted, do you know how to fish them? I'd start there..you can pick any nymphs from the list given, it's a good one.

If I was starting out nymphing I'd pick...Yes the greenie Weenie..beadhead AND the Pheasant tail..with some color..bead head as well. I fish beadheads but spilt shot will work but you'll need some of the other guys to help with that....then I'd pick something I just liked...just because it's your choice. :)

zebra midge - I use this almost exclusively as a dropper off of a larger nymph. I'm always surprised when i get the fish in to see that it has taken the midge pattern.

wetnet, thanks for the info. As of now I have been doing a lot of internet reading and youtube watching on not only nymphs but fly fishing in general.

As I mentioned previously I used to fish as a mid teen and pretty much followed the lead of my brother who also was new to the sport. I do not recall fishing nymphs but the concept of doing so seems to make a lot of sense and could be successful.

Until I get out fishing, Im relying on all of you for pointers and tips and am greatly thankful for all the advice I have gotten thus far.

Keep the list in mind. Zebra nymphs as well. This is a good list of nymphs. Don't spend too much on flies to loose them. You'll loose allot at the beginning....then you'll lose allot when you get better too. LOL!!! Have Fun. And Brothers make wonderful fishing partners!

Just my 2cents worth. I use Pheasant tails in different sizes(10-20), Beadhead and without. Hares ear in different sizes(10-20) and colors, beadhead and without. I use BH Zebra Midge in smaller sizes(18-22) and colors. I also use BH caddis pupa and larva in different sizes(14-18) and colors. I also carry brown and Black stonefly nymphs in different sizes(I think 8-14). I have a few copper Johns in different sizes(12-18). I have a few Prince nymphs in different sizes(12-18). I have flashback scuds in 3 colors and size(14-18). Green Weenie in size(14-16)
Just some added info, sorry if getting over board here but i carry 2 types of wet flies also as emergers. size 14-18, peacock and a soft hackle.
I have 1 box i carry all my nymphs and wet flies in. It is a box i got from Bass Pro and I added the flip leaf in it. My midges i carry in a separate box.

steve2u42 wrote:
Just my 2cents worth. I use Pheasant tails in different sizes(10-20), Beadhead and without. Hares ear in different sizes(10-20) and colors, beadhead and without. I use BH Zebra Midge in smaller sizes(18-22) and colors. I also use BH caddis pupa and larva in different sizes(14-18) and colors. I also carry brown and Black stonefly nymphs in different sizes(I think 8-14). I have a few copper Johns in different sizes(12-18). I have a few Prince nymphs in different sizes(12-18). I have flashback scuds in 3 colors and size(14-18). Green Weenie in size(14-16)
Just some added info, sorry if getting over board here but i carry 2 types of wet flies also as emergers. size 14-18, peacock and a soft hackle.
I have 1 box i carry all my nymphs and wet flies in. It is a box i got from Bass Pro and I added the flip leaf in it. My midges i carry in a separate box.

Again a great list. But if you were starting out all over just learning to nymph.....What would give a beginner for advice? You know how and when to use a bead or not and when it's good to grab a wet. I just know if you start nymphing and go to a fly shop and buy a say pheasant tail, which is my favorite, as a beginner you can watch it skim the top and roll all over and be pretty much ineffective. My Son...Yes I am bragging again..caught a trout on Spring Creek with a clod of Grass in 3 casts. He did it because he paid attention. Trout shaking scuds out of other grass clods. No real earth shattering discovery.
Neither is nymphing. You need to get the nymph to the right depth and sometimes depending on the speed of the current and depth you don't need weight at all. When the current gets strong and you've got some strong wash pushing your $2 weighted nymph in behind rocks it will take your $2 dollars to the bottom and you'll never retrieve it as it is hopelessly stuck and wrapped around no less then Godzilla and the sea monster holding hands together if you let your line lag behind and don't keep that weight moving forward. With the correct balance of weight and you partnering up with the current..a plunge pool behind a rock can lead to the best surprise of the day.

Maybe it why the grass clod worked?

i have to tell you the truth wetnet, and i swear i am saying this and am not wanting you to take me as being rude. I only started out fishing 2 seasons ago. and the list i was given was huge too. I think it was a list given out before The nice list that gfen came up with. I asked the simular question and i took it for what it was worth, all these work. I had to take the list and try many different flies out myself till i figured what worked, when and where each fly was appropriately used for but i keep this list because they are all used for the right place and time. Like i said, i am not trying to be smart a**. I still use each and everyone of these flies. I even go to the pocket guide for Pa. Hatches and see what nymph will help me in Match the Hatch. How to use each fly to mimic the real nymph pattern. There are alot of streams here or near my county. I mean alot. I got to be open minded at each place.

steve2u42 wrote:
i have to tell you the truth wetnet, and i swear i am saying this and am not wanting you to take me as being rude. I only started out fishing 2 seasons ago. and the list i was given was huge too. I think it was a list given out before The nice list that gfen came up with. I asked the simular question and i took it for what it was worth, all these work. I had to take the list and try many different flies out myself till i figured what worked, when and where each fly was appropriately used for but i keep this list because they are all used for the right place and time. Like i said, i am not trying to be smart a**. I still use each and everyone of these flies. I even go to the pocket guide for Pa. Hatches and see what nymph will help me in Match the Hatch. How to use each fly to mimic the real nymph pattern. There are alot of streams here or near my county. I mean alot. I got to be open minded at each place.

I come across very wrong sometimes. The list of flies is great. I use every one of them. Let me ask you a question? If you fish the same stream all of the time. You have your flies, know what works.

I'm thinking beginner that shows up with your fly box on..... say the Fishing Creek, State College riffle water. If your fly box is setup for that all is good. Take that same box to the Delaware. While the flies can be the same the weight and the way you use them is not. I'm just skipping to the next question. What do I do with the list now?

You are not rude. In fact you included something I did not.

Quote:" I got to be open minded at each place"

i think i understand what your saying.
I will end with that. I don't want to keep blabbing on

Back