nymphing vs dries

chstrcntyfish

chstrcntyfish

I hate to be a pain but I have a question involving nymphing and dries. I fish with an 8'6" 5 weight, and use a 7'6" tapered leader because I tend to get tangled up with longer ones. When I switch from one method to the other, should I be using a different leader? I usually just add a strike indicator and switch flies, but then again I haven't caught my first trout on a fly YET. Right now I am just experimenting with different things. I have only been fly fishing for about a month but I live right near the lower west branch of the brandywine so I fish for smallmouths. I have been recently trying to catch my first trout on a fly. So Im trying to gather as much information as I can. Thanks alot any info would be useful.

You can specialize with leaders all you want.

Here's what I do.

I use 9 ft tapered leaders, usually 5x. 5x is a good all around tippet size so I use it until the tippet runs out. At this point, I'll tie a length of 4x tippet, and then attach a length of 5x to rebuild the leader. For dries, I'll either use the 5x, or I'll go down to 6 or at the very very tiniest, 7x

So in short, I just make changes to tippet, though I do like a lot longer leader for dry fly fishing.

I rarely use a leader shorter than 15ft for nymphing and almost never go below 4x . Reason being 4x you can bring a big guy or any fish in quickly for that matter and with this low water it is imperitve . Furthermore 4x is my standard for most even tricos bc they really can see it . why you ask , most think they can i beilieve its all a issue of drift , being drag free even in nymphing .

my pov

peace

For indicator fishing, i'll use 4-8 ft leaders with about 75% being 6-10 lb flouro and then blood knot on my tippet (2-4 lb). I'll generally have a slit shot at my blood knot on the indicator side and sometimes run shot patterns depending on depth and river velocity. I have certain rods rigged for true nymphing.
For dry fly fishing, I'll use tapered flouro leaders at a minimum nine feet long (if you are having problems with longer leaders, work on your backcast and keep your wrist locked) and now I pretty much just use 12' leaders. When the dry fly leaders get too short they can be used as your base for the nyphming leaders, but most of the time its too thick to blood knot 2 lb on.
If i'm switching back and fourth, I change leaders. No sense ruining a good tapered leader. Use perfection loops for your leader connections and chaning isn't an issue.
Now, for bass and fishing bigger flies you can get away with the 7.5' leader and I actually recommend it for poppers, sliders, and such. Using a longer leader with a heavier fly won't turn it over.
There are no rules, so keeping experimenting until you find what works for you.

Tightlines,

Skiltonian

I agree with Ranger on what size, but not the length of the leader. Being a beginner, you should stick to a 9' or shorter leader until you get more comfortable and skilled as a caster.
jayL does what I do, start with a 9" and add or subract tippet as I fish different conditions.
JH

Are you nymphing is a relatively shallow stream? If so, I don't see why you'd need a terribly long leader. Fly fishemanJ is right, a long leader will really tricky to handle until you get used to casting. However, I tend to think the leader's not the problem. I tend to think you are casting both types of flies identically and throwing your nymph forcefully through a tailing loop. This is a mistake that most of us make at one time. I'd work on casting your heavier, indicator laden nymps with a more "open loop." That is: try back casting a little more forcefully and at a slightly upward angle (toward the heavens). When you forward cast, make the stroke nice an easy. If you have no room to backcast, a very gentle rollcast has never tangled for me. To do this you simply bring your line to a parallel position with your casting arm and trow it in a gentle, continuous loop - this is a very simply twirl.

Ginky

I do the same as Jay, but with either a 7.5 ft 4X or 9 ft 5X. The 7.5 is mainly used when I know I will be primarily nymphing in water < 2.5 ft, and I will add a foot or so of 5X.

I use the 9 ft leader for when I know I'll either be nymphing in 3 ft + water or using drys. Using nymphs I may or may not add some 5/6X based on what the conditions are, and when using dry's I will usually add 2 ft 5X and 1 ft 6X to get a 12 ft base leader. I may lengthen this leader if necessary (I've gone up to 16 ft before).

However, some days I will alternate heavily between using a 12 ft leader for dry's, clipping down to 8 ft for nymphing, then add to 10 ft for nymphing a deep hole, clip down to 7 ft for streamers, then go back up to 13 ft for dry's. So, the leaders I mention above are a good baseline, but in the world of flyfishing, there are no set in stone rules, and you have to be willing to improvise and adapt.

For a beginner, I think if you just get a 9 ft 5X leader and some 5X and 6X tippet you should be okay for all casting situations. Use just the leader for nymphing, and add 1 ft of 5/6X for dry's. I would not recomend using a leader over 10 ft for a beginner. It's like basketball, you gotta practice the layups before you can bomb 3 pointers.

Also, I like to use light lines (5, 6, 7X), but you may find that you want to go heavier, especially in the summer when you don't want to overplay the fish. However, if you know how to play fish right you can quickly land 20" fish on 6 and 7X, but thats a topic for another thread.....

It also really depends on the kind of nymphing you're doing. I really don't see the point of throwing a leader longer that 9 feet or so in a shallow stream when your indicator may be sitting no more that 5 feet from your fly, especially if you are a beginner. Plopping and indicator on the water already negates whatever delicacy you're trying to achieve with a super-long leader. If you are high-stick nymphing, okay, a long 12-13 foot leader (or more) makes sense. Same might be said if you are swing nymphing. If I'm nymphing without an indicator or a popper-hopper rig, I too will use a long leader. However, I use a technique they use in France which has been deadly for me. -- Some might consider it a bit of a cheat.

If I'm swing nymphing, for example, I'll tie a small section of very sisible mono (that's 4 pound test -- bait fishing line) in a very bright color into my leader which is normally a 5x or 6x size. I swing nymph with a 10-12 foot leader. My vision is not great, and the little (3") tag of Stren or Berkley line (dark green ricks!) helps me follow the Mirage or other "invisible" leader I'm swinging. The French and Spanish fly fishing teams use this technique to great effect.

Ginky
:-D

chtrcntyfish, some great advice has been given here, everyone has their own method because its what works for them and confidence in what you use is very important. I have found most knotted or knotless leaders of 7 ft with a 3 ft. tippet will catch most fish if you dont line them on your initial casts. Most of us ,me especialy will throw to that fishy looking spot and line some realy good fish in the process . Try a dry with a nymph dropper, you have the best of both worlds then. Hope this helps you out.

Back