Nymphing Rod

Sorry-I broke in during the short rod era so 10 footers are cane poles in my eyes.lol

"Sage" 99 5 weight. I don't have one but I would like to! Another good one IMO would be Sage's new VXP in a 10' 5 weight.

MKern wrote:
I wouldn't get caught up too much in the dimmic rods that say they are specifially for one type of fishing. Never buy a uni-tasker (thanks Alton Brown).

Anything 9' and over will help your nymphing, but you can still catch a ton of fish with an 8'er if fishing properly.

I think "specific" rods are just a way to rais eth eprice $50 to $100.
Yes and sell more rods.

Hey everyone, I know most people here dont know me but I will give my 2 cents. There is a bunch of long nymphing rods that have recently hit the market in the last 3-4 years. They have been used in euorpe for years. I have found that all of the rods have there own unique feel and balance. The one thing i can say is find a rod that feels comfortable in your hand. Euro nymphing with long rods can kill your shoulder after a while thus the lighter rods in 3 and 4 wt are usually lighter and easier to use all day without much fatigue. These rods still have enough backbone to handle big fish. I competed in the America cup last year in Colorado and got to see what other competitve fly fisherman from around the world were using and to my suprise allot of them used the same rods despite being from different parts of the globe.
The rods I am currenty using for Comp fishing are The 10' Greys Stream flex series in 3wt and 4wt. These rods are versitale and can go from micro nymphing with a 25' leader to throwing a BIB hopper dropper rig across the river. Cant beat the price either as they are under $300. I also Use the Sage 99 in a 5 wt. This rod fishes like a 6wt and is as light as my greys 3wt. I love this rod on Big rivers Like The Upper D or the Colorado. I also throw streamers on this rod.
Other rods to look at are the ECHO Shadow pe series, Cabelas CZN, G loomis czech rods. There are too many to list but these are the rods i have experience with. I would be a little hesitant with the Sage 99 in 6wt. Give the 5 wt a try 1st, you will be amazed how much power this rod had. Good Luck

Back