Nymphing Rod

Stimey

Stimey

In the market for a new rod and have been doing a lot more nymph fishing (both indicator and high stick methods). I was thinking of getting a rod specifically for nymph fishing. What experience do you all have with these types of rods. I was looking at 10 footers and Sage model 99 (9 foot 9) in a six weight.

If you want a dedicated nymphing rod, why not go 10 foot? It will increase your drift dramatically. Also, maybe a 4wt to cut down on the weight of the rod. A couple ounces makes a big difference when you're high sticking all day.

What sized streams do you normally fish? Are you looking for general-use nymphing, or for a specific technique?

Sender, he says he wants 10' or 9'9". Jay, he said he is looking indicator and high sticking.

Obvious question, how much money you want to spend? Given that you are looking at 99 I assume you would consider a $700 rod which opens up the field quite a bit. I agree that 6wt is a bit much. I would go 4wt. Owned Greys Streamflex 10 4wt and liked it. Owned Winston BIIx 10' 4wt and hated it. Lack of power, tip heavy, weaker backbone. Now own Winston BIIIx 10' 4wt and have only had it out once but I really like it. Huge improvement over the BIIx. Cableas has CZN in 11 foot now which would be pretty sweet assuming its a properly constructed rod. One thing to watch (and one where Winston failed on BIIx) is that the guides need to be set up properly for nymphing on 10' rod.

I saw that, but "indicator and high sticking" covers almost 100% of the nymphing I do, and I use 5-6 different rods to do it depending on the situation.

I wouldn't get caught up too much in the dimmic rods that say they are specifially for one type of fishing. Never buy a uni-tasker (thanks Alton Brown).

Anything 9' and over will help your nymphing, but you can still catch a ton of fish with an 8'er if fishing properly.

I think "specific" rods are just a way to rais eth eprice $50 to $100.

thanks for the info.. As far as the type of water I fish, spend most time on Lehigh, WB DE and Penn's Creek. Have other outfits for smaller streams.

In that case I think you'd be okay getting the long 6wt. I fish an 11' 6wt for some of my nymphing on the D, and it's great.

I'm gonna weigh in a bit, but not so much on nymphing, but long rods.

I've got three, now. 10' 3wt. 10' 5wt. 11'3" 6wt (switch, so the 3" is all behind the reel handle).

I imagine that all day high sticking the 3wt wouldn't be too hard, and you can do it pretty well with the 5wt, but stepping it up to that 6wt makes it damned uncomfortable.

Its not just the rod weight you've got to take into things, but the weight of the reel you balance it with, and even the line. I took that 6wt out once to a small stream because I wanted length, and my 5wt was out of commission, and it was frankly just too much.

Even just fishing with that 6wt for a day is far more awkward, and tiring, than the 5wt.

I'd spend some time really thinking about the where and how of your fishing, and base it around there. However, if you're getting a middle weight rod, I'd stick to 9' to 10', that last foot the killer.

On the other hand, YMMV. I see your descriptor says "Lehigh Valley." While its not exactly the most opportune time of year, if you want to try and meet up, you can heft all three rods for a little while in some water and see what you think.

Gfen:

I've got three, now. 10' 3wt. 10' 5wt. 11'3" 6wt (switch, so the 3" is all behind the reel handle).

I would really like to experience a 10' 3 weight.

I thought about, and really wanted to purchase a 10' #4 or something similarly long and lightweight for more than one reason. Even tossed about the idea of getting a Tenkara rod. I do a lot of nymph fishing on small streams where sometimes that extra 1' 6" of rod might help me keep my nymph drifting drag free on the other side of a current seam and keep more line off the water.

Jake,

I've got the 4wt if you want to meet at some point to try it.

Considering the valley forge show?

No, I wasn't. I at least try to make it to the Eastern outdoor's show in Harrisburg.

Is that the Cabela's CZN or another brand ?

I'm curious to try tenkara, and the fountainhead glass hybrid rods have me willing to pull the trigger at ~$50, but I'm pretty satisfied the 10' 3wt Streamflex gives me almost as much feel for it, plus a reel, that I've got a Cabeler's 7'6" 8wt glass rod at the head of the line.

But, the point of that is I think a light or ultralight 10' rod can give you a feel for what you're going to have to deal with, plus and negative, on tenkara, and if you're still curious, you can't beat the price point of Fountainhead's glass rod.

here's a cheaper option:

http://theanglersroost.com/products/graphite-rods/

I don't have one yet... but plan to get the 11' 2/3 wt.

IMO, an 11' 2/3 wt rod made from IM6 graphite would be like fishing a long spaghetti noodle (over cooked not even al dente).

Like Jay, I use several different rods for nymphing. For me a rod that is versatile is Job1 for me since I often change up methods depending on the fish (or sometimes even my mood). I would look for a that rod does a few things well like casting/fishing dries, nymphs and streamers, is 9' or a little longer, and is fairly light in weight. Good luck.

afish makes a good point. I don't go out with the mind set i am gonna nymph all day unless it is winter then i still even keep my hopes up . The rod that afish speaks of as a all arround rod that does it all and does it well is the new orvis access rod . Protects light tippets well for nymphing , casts small caddis dry dropper (midge ). has enough *** to roll indie and double tung. rod is very very light in hand so holding it out is no problem daylight to dark. Orvis really hit the mark on this one !!!My buddy has the streamflex and loves it. The cabellas czn rods in 10 are getting rave reviews also. No need to brake the bank its just nymphing for trout !!!!

In that case I think you'd be okay getting the long 6wt. I fish an 11' 6wt for some of my nymphing on the D, and it's great.-quote
I thought that was called dapping ?

i got the 5wt orvis pete and it would handle any smallie or big brown u could put on the line. it telegraphs the bottom right to the handle ! good luck

Back