Nymphing Rod Weight Question

Swattie87

Swattie87

So, I think in the last year or so I’ve gotten just dangerous enough at nymphing that I’ve begun to enjoy it, a little. (Actual nymphing, not dry/dropper nymphing, which is very effective, but is essentially fished not that much different than how you’d fish the dry by itself.) Anyway, I think I’ve gotten to the point where I’m successful enough at detecting strikes and catching fish tight-lining that I’m beginning to recognize when I’m not getting the drifts I need to to produce strikes. Most often, it is because I cannot reach the rod far enough to get the rod tip over the water where I want to be. So then it’s either throw on an indicator and/or risk drowning to get closer. Or make some ridiculous mends that are well above my skillset. (I typically go with the former, or none of the above, and just move on to a new spot.)

I’m recognizing the advantage of a longer rod here, and again, since I’m beginning to enjoy it more, I’m considering investing in a modestly priced longer rod.

I small stream fish a lot, and have several Brookie/small stream rods, but the upper end of my rod selection is rather light:

9’0 6wt – Use it primarily for WW, and large Trout streams.
8’6 5wt – Use it primarily for Trout fishing medium-ish streams.

I’ve been using the 6wt to nymph since it’s the longest one I have. I’m thinking a 10’er is where I’ll go if I buy one, but after all that backstory, here’s my question:

What is the advantage of such a light nymph rod…I see a lot out there in 2 or 3 weights. What’s the advantage of this (if anything) over a 4 or 5 weight? My initial reaction is that a 4 or 5 weight (in a 10 foot model) will be more versatile overall, and most of my personal preference with fly rods when deciding between two weights for other applications is I’d rather have the heavier one. But there has to be something those give up to the lighter ones for nymphing because they seem to be the clear general preference. What is that? I would think a 4 or 5 weight would toss a heavy nymph rig with a couple of shot better, but am interested to know the why before I decide on anything. Admittedly, I’m no pro here, and some research and understanding won’t hurt. If left to my own relatively uninformed opinion, I’d buy a 10’ 5wt. Why may I want a lighter one?

Thanks.

The reason people go so light is for the sensitivity. Alot of these new nypmhing rods are rated for a 2weight, but thats just the tip section,meanwhile the butt section will be similar to a 5wt. That helps give you the feel of a light rod, but the fighting power of something heavier.

I actually use a 10ft 4wt when I nymph. Am I possibly missing some takes? Probably. But I like being able to simply change my leader and throw dries effectively when the hatches start. I use the 10ft 4wt for just about everything., it probably sees more use than my 9ft 5wt.

kobalt335 wrote:
The reason people go so light is for the sensitivity. Alot of these new nypmhing rods are rated for a 2weight, but thats just the tip section,meanwhile the butt section will be similar to a 5wt. That helps give you the feel of a light rod, but the fighting power of something heavier.

I actually use a 10ft 4wt when I nymph. Am I possibly missing some takes? Probably. But I like being able to simply change my leader and throw dries effectively when the hatches start. I use the 10ft 4wt for just about everything., it probably sees more use than my 9ft 5wt.

Agreed ^

I use a 10' 4wt as my go-to trout rod for because it versatile for fishing dries, wets, smaller streamers, as well as heavy nymphs and/or smaller ones.

Many tight-line anglers choose a 2 or 3wt rod because it allows them to easily cast a long mono leader or very light Euro-nymph weight line. Plus it is a very sensitive rod for tight-lining, but less than ideal for casting dries and mending line to get a drift, especially using a mono leader.

You have to decide what you plan to do with the rod and how you plan to rig it before you choose which rod to buy.

If you are an angler like me that is likely to change techniques frequently as things present themselves on the stream, you may want to consider opting for a more versatile rod that can do many things.

As always, cast or better yet fish the rod before you buy.

I have a 10’ 6” 3 wt Cortland Competition nymphing rod. It is quite sensitive and is a great rod for nymphing. I like it. But it is not ideal for wet or dry fly fishing.
If I had the opportunity to choose again I think I would also go with a 4wt simply for the added versatility. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Sensitivity/superior strike detection seems to be the plus side of the lighter weights (2/3) in the nymphing rods, versus versatility for other applications in the heavier weights (4/5), if I understand correctly.

It’s tough to know where you’ll fall on that spectrum in advance, but in general my leanings would also be toward prioritizing versatility. I’ll want to be able to switch to dries and have the rod handle it reasonably well, fully understanding it may not do it as well as the rod I currently have and enjoy specifically for that purpose – the 8’6 5wt most often. I won’t want to carry two separate rods when fishing away from the vehicle all day – which is what I do most of the time. I’ll want to be able to just switch out a leader, or a reel, that’s fine, but I don’t want to deal with carrying a second rod/case around all day or being tied to the vehicle to make a switch. I already sometimes carry an extra reel. It’s a tradeoff…Jack of all trades vs. one trick pony…I’m more in the Jack of all trades camp in general with FFing, and am willing to live with the compromises that brings. (For example – I have my fly boxes organized in such a way that I only need to carry one fly box at time. Each has a smattering of the real commonly used stuff, and then the specialty stuff for what I expect to do that day.) I just wanted to understand what that type of compromise means in terms of nymphing rods though.

Not pulling the trigger yet, but the info's been useful. Thanks again.

Swattie87 wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Sensitivity/superior strike detection seems to be the plus side of the lighter weights (2/3) in the nymphing rods, versus versatility for other applications in the heavier weights (4/5), if I understand correctly.

It’s tough to know where you’ll fall on that spectrum in advance, but in general my leanings would also be toward prioritizing versatility. I’ll want to be able to switch to dries and have the rod handle it reasonably well, fully understanding it may not do it as well as the rod I currently have and enjoy specifically for that purpose – the 8’6 5wt most often. I won’t want to carry two separate rods when fishing away from the vehicle all day – which is what I do most of the time. I’ll want to be able to just switch out a leader, or a reel, that’s fine, but I don’t want to deal with carrying a second rod/case around all day or being tied to the vehicle to make a switch. I already sometimes carry an extra reel. It’s a tradeoff…Jack of all trades vs. one trick pony…I’m more in the Jack of all trades camp in general with FFing, and am willing to live with the compromises that brings. (For example – I have my fly boxes organized in such a way that I only need to carry one fly box at time. Each has a smattering of the real commonly used stuff, and then the specialty stuff for what I expect to do that day.) I just wanted to understand what that type of compromise means in terms of nymphing rods though.

Not pulling the trigger yet, but the info's been useful. Thanks again.

I'm a lot like you, when I leave my truck I rarely return, so the rod I take is the rod I fish. I have no desire to take multiple outfits or tackle with me to change over when conditions warrant.

With that being said, I suggest you check out some 10' 3wts or maybe even a 4wt or two to find one that can fish multiple types of fishing that you do on a given day at the streams you fish. There are rods out there that check all the boxes. Your job is to find one that does just that. Good luck.

If you are looking to purchase a nymphing stick, I'd go with the Orivis Recon 2 in a 2 weight. I got one early this spring and absolutely love it. So much more feel than my Recon 1 in a 3 weight.

I'm a novice but question if these longer Nymphing Rods are all necessarily graphite. Wouldn't a fiberglass rod this long be very heavy?

To add on what was said above about why tight-line nymphing rods are made in 2 and 3 wts:
In addition to having much less weight in the line (mono or thin fly line), I often find myself using a lighter fly rig, too. With no indicator, I no longer need extra weight to balance the effect an indicator has on the drift and strike detection. The lighter 2/3 wt rods will actually load enough to allow for accurate casts (not long casts, but longer than if using a stiffer, heavier fly rod) when the total weight past the rod tip is lighter than in traditional fly fishing. Of course this is not always the case, but there are many water types/situations on PA streams where lightly weighted rigs (thinking in the range of one small tungsten beadhead fly, or one small split shot) can shine. I find it enjoyable to have the ability to punch light weight rigs to the target with ease and accuracy.

If i was serious about nymphing, 11 1/2 footer, 3 weight. Keep line off the water and reel that balances it out. Most likely, large arbor. No fly line, just backing and long leader. If you want to call it a leader. Mono on spool and then the actual leader.

As far as i am concerned, the leader starts after the sighter. Bobber, thing a ma jig, cork, yarn, wool, etc.

I wonder if you even need backing. All mono and a spinning reel. Spinning reel on a fly rod, Why not? Done it lots of times. Works. Not traditional but i was never traditional. I just fish!

What ever happened to the days we were just clever!

How about wets on a clear bobber with a spinning reel. Deadly!

We think we gained a lot but lost much! Nice when an Old Boy calls the house and i still remember. Now these fellows are in their 80's now. O K, I was just 14 when hey were 40! Many have gone but a few still remember the highlights of fly fishing, tall tales, smoke and fire and a hot cup of coffee!

You live today for today, I lived, yesterday for ever! My Pals, I will see you soon, brothers of the Lore! The Lore, what does it mean and then you add the lure of the lore! Well, your gonna get your feet wet, no matter how high your boots are!

Maxima12

Lots of tight trees and underbrush around West Chester streams to walk through. I've finally settled on a 10' 2wt. I won't suggest a brand since there are many US and European quality makers from Syndicate to Stickman

In addition to sensitivity and the ability to throw just mono, swing weight makes a huge difference when you're holding the rod a 45 degrees instead of parallel to the water.

I love my 9' 4wt orvis clearwater 4 piece rod, its a reasonably priced rod and matching reel, easy for dry fly throwing 22 tricos and #14 hares ear caddis mops and i am going to use it for streamers,

what brand and price would someone recommend in a 10' rod?

scs

maxima12,

Great post; great ideas.

I've thought about this many times... just roll mono on the fly reel and amen... no "backing"... no light fly line... just straight mono (maybe 8 lb Stren Magnathin); Stren Magnathin is actually thin but it is also strong... then the sighter, then maybe a 6X tippet. Dedicate that rig to nymphing, or have additional (spare) spools (Arbors), loaded with varying line.

I always have plenty of spinning line laying around anyway.

Thank you for the post.

I bought a ADMIRA HRS 10' 4 weight recently. It is made in Italy by Modern Flies on a Aldo Silva blank. Designed for competition, it is very light and powerful. I can cast a dry fly line or a tip heavy nymph line and it works well with either. Not sure they make this anymore though. I purchased it used. First graphite rod I ever bought used, I liked it as soon as I cast it.

I like the idea of a spinning reel, but I like trilene xt, because not only is it strong, it's also extra tough.

I just picked up one of the new Syndicate Reaver rods in a 10' 3 weight and it is one of the most innovative sticks you will EVER lay your hands on !!!! From the unique 3-D printed grip (made of some kind of proprietary polyurethane material that transmits ALOT more feel than the standard cork) that has a unique shape that is really comfortable to hold (kind of like gripping a hammer in your hand) to the milled titanium reel seat hardware it is really incredible. Although it is technically built out as a Euro nymphing rod with the newest nano resins and it has a unique action in that it has a VERY sensitive tip like most Euro rods but it also has a very quick responsive action which eliminates tip wobble and can deliver any type of cast accurately while simultaneously providing a sublime amount of feel and feedback. The truly great thing about this rod is you can use a standard fly line (my choice would be one of the older SA Mastery Textured Trout lines if you can find one) on it and throw tight loops out there accurately to 60 or even 70 feet yet given the sensitive tip you can throw a dry that lands like "a butterfly with sore feet" right off the top at 20 feet or even less. As far as nymphing it is unparalleled in my opinion and if I only want to carry one line for the day I use either the Sunray Jeremy Lucas Dry Fly line or the Sunray Microthin Nymph line both of which are both VERY thin and sensitive it just depends on whether I think the day will call for more on top action or more tight line nymphing and I choose the line accordingly (I will point out that the Sunray Microthin Nymph line can unlike many of the dedicated Euro nymphing lines actually throw a dry fly decently as long as you're not trying to cast too far and the Jeremy Lucas will do a decent job of tight line Euro nymphing as well). I realize you may have already made a choice on this but hope this information helps and even if not maybe others will find it helpful/informative and introduce people to this incredible Syndicate Reaver which is a US made rod and also introduce those unique Sunray microthin lines to more Americans (Sunray based out of the UK). Tight lines to all !!!!

Back