nymphing lines

P

PennsylvaniaJesse

I am looking for a nymphing line for my 5wt Hardy Greys 10' rod. What do you recommend? Thanks.

I use a weight forward on my 10' 4 weight helios nymphing stick. The orvis hd easy mend and rio gold are the two lines I will use depending on the situation. I have never been a big fan of the nymphing lines, but then again maybe I haven't found a good one for me.

If you are high scticking/euro nymphing I honestly think the line doesn't matter much. You might have a few feet of line off the top of your rod in most situations. I would put more effort into your leader. Look up info and build a nymphing leader with some hi viz indicators on it. Use a few colors for different depths so you can detect strikes. There's gold, yellow, green, red, etc out there. I think that will help 100x better than any nymphing line out there.

I like Scientific Anglers "Mastery" Series nymph line. I use the 4 weight on my Echo 10' 6" Shadow II 4 weight and the 5 weight line on my Cortland 10' Brook series 5 weight. The lines work very well for roll casts. Also mending the line at a distance is much easier due to the taper. They have orange tips so you can see them better too. My lines are the older versions which have a smooth finish. I believe the newer versions are textured. Good lines for sure. WTT

ryguyfi wrote:
If you are high scticking/euro nymphing I honestly think the line doesn't matter much. You might have a few feet of line off the top of your rod in most situations. I would put more effort into your leader. Look up info and build a nymphing leader with some hi viz indicators on it. Use a few colors for different depths so you can detect strikes. There's gold, yellow, green, red, etc out there. I think that will help 100x better than any nymphing line out there.

The line doesn't matter much for casting because of your long leaders, but it does matter when you have it in your guides. Nymphing leaders provide you with having no sag in your guides and their light weight allows the flies and leader to have a better drift. A regular line will be heavier and want to pull your leader and flies back into the guides.

It makes a huge difference.

I use the Rio Nymph, but a bunch of my friends use the Cortland.

SBecker wrote:
ryguyfi wrote:

The line doesn't matter much for casting because of your long leaders, but it does matter when you have it in your guides. Nymphing leaders provide you with having no sag in your guides and their light weight allows the flies and leader to have a better drift. A regular line will be heavier and want to pull your leader and flies back into the guides.

It makes a huge difference.

I use the Rio Nymph, but a bunch of my friends use the Cortland.

If you plan to use your rod for all types of fishing (dries, streamers, and indie fishing) and not just Euro nymphing , a trout taper WF floating line would be your best choice.

If you set up your rod for Euro nymphing only, than a nymph line like Shane describes (above) would be best.

Tip: What is sold for euro nymphing line is pretty much running line (the back end of your WF line). Reversing a line you already have will serve pretty much the same purpose, IMO.

Yeah, my point was for a dedicated "euro" nymph stick. I have heard the running line would work. Just never tried it myself.

Thank you all for the responses. I was told that the line had less weight at the guides and to the leader, it ran straighter and allowed better feel of the flies. Thanks! Jesse

Yep what I said.

Hey all, I ordered the RIO. Thanks.

Btw.... I went to Cabelas and they didn't have even one nymphing line in stock.

Back