Nymphing help!!!

I like to keep my rod tip down, following to the side and fairly tight when I'm nymphing. Sometimes when you feel the tag it maybe to late. I also nymph with an indicator or either a dry fly or floater.

Phly - send me a pm and we can hook up sometime at Pennypack Park or any of the Fairmont Park systems.

Penny,

Is this a style of upstream nymphing, and are you focusing on the end of your fly line to detect movement? I find myself doing this on some deeper holes.

Mike: I cast upstream and keep my line fairly taunt as it comes back down the river. I am left handed and follow the line with the tip until it gets to a certain point where it starts to swing. Once it starts the swing I retreive it and cast up river again. I do sometimes watch my flyline tip to see if it stops or darts forward. It also depends on current conditions. Slow moving is easier to watch the tip and see the take. I recently was trout fishing in MO and for the most part I used a indicator. I did around 3 hours without the indicator and did get a few trout, but lost several. I felt that I lost those because of the delay in the take and when I felt the hit they were able to spit out the nymph. Also, my reaction time is a little slower during the winter/early spring months because of it being cold.

Prizes awarded:

Attachments

• nymphing.jpg
    nymphing.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 5
I usually nymph using a dry as an indicator. But if you do not want to do that Dave Rothrock taught me to tie a length of yellow leader near the end of the leader where it ties to the fly line and watch the yellow for movement.

Jackm: Please explain .....I don't understand what you submitted....Did you let your 2 year old have some fun on this forum topic?

I was inartfully attempting to show varying degrees of slack that can be in the line and leader while nymphing. Lots of slack can mean less drag, but you will rarely detect a hit. This seems to me to be the reason people like to fish with bobber-indicators, because slack above the indicator become less significant and it is easier to control slack below if you are experienced using the float. However, as with many things, I have no idea what I am talking about.

My advice to the OP is to attach an indicator at around 2X the water depth and work on getting you fly down using the proper amount of weight and drifting the indicator drag-free through a run or pool.

Here is a link with rigs and techniques for several methods of nymphing including "high sticking" and the "Leisenring lift" and swinging wets.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

For those looking to try Euro style nymphing without an indicator, here is a link showing different rigs and techniques used for Euro nymphng:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

I have started using the high viz yellow mono from suffix and attatching my flouro/tippet to that. I like the visual key you can get from that. I just picked up a 10' 4wt as well to aid in the slack line. Hoping this will increase my success without using the indicator. I do like the up stream nymphing these days as well. WIth the longer rod you should be able to cast upstream and lift you tip to eat the slack.

I picked up some good tips from youtube. Search "European style nymphing techniques". There are some good videos that can help. I agree that if you don't feel your fly bouncing off the bottom you aren't deep enough. I don't cast very far. If my casts are over ten feet they are long. Instead, I make short casts and try to guide/drag my nymph(s) through the run. Finally, I use two flies tied in a tandem style rig. I hope this helps.

Don

If you are not into reading books, you can try this class from the Author:

www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_George_Daniel_EducationClasses.cfm

Unfortunately, they are sold out for this year.

BTW: I am not affiliated with this shop or author.

I think of an indicator like the scope on a rifle. Use a yarn indicator to assist in detecting strickes. When nymphing I use a 90º leader system and tuck cast.
Good Luck!
Sean

I often use a dry fly as an indicator it is less noticible to the fish, and lest apt to spook.

this was awesome. I have recently been more successful in nymphing and am loving life. Caught a real nice brown today.

Strike indicators are another too in the box. In slow moving water were you can sight fish put a strike indicator on. Perhaps a fish for fun project. Rig the indicator as needed. Watch the fish take the fly and then check out the indicator. You will find how many strikes the indicator never does anything. Colder water means slower fish and fresh stocked fish will also hold a fly longer. Also learn to fly fish first. If when you started to walk your mom gave you a cane you would still be using it today. I am not against bobber fishing but I can assure you if that is the way you learn to nymph you are going to miss out on some very good opportunities.

The only way to detect a "take" is to have sufficient little slack in the portion of your line/leader that is visible, unless in crystal-clear water, where you can actually watch your bait.

No slack is ideal, but it is also a nano-second away from imparting drag. You must find the balance, I think, with or without a bobber.

The way I see it, with a bobber, you manage slack from bobbber to bait; whereas, without a bobber, you manage slack all the way to your point of concentration, whether that is the line-leader connection, or some point along the leader that is still visible.

Slack beyond the point of concentration only concerns you when you decide to set the hook. Too much will be a problem for hooking up, too little a problem of drag.

See diagram above.

This said, drag is more over-rated as a detriment to nymphing than dry fly fishing in my opinion. Nymphs swim-- they don't always, nor consistently, simply drift.

Back